An unpleasant site...

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Sorry if this is a repeat. I've been away from the forum for a while and it might have already been cited.
I was at my local body shop yesterday. No worries, I was there to have a GT3 bumper transplanted on to my 997S Cab. Just can't resist.
Very nice folks, and they specialize in Porsche's, so you could imagine my surprise when, while doing some paperwork at the front desk, I looked through the glass in to the shop and saw what appeared to be a white FGT.
I asked the owner if in fact that was a real gal in the flesh and he acknowledged that it was. The car had done a modest but thorough (i.e. almost all panels) dance with a guardrail. He offered a bit more detail but I won't repeat it here.
After mentioning I was an owner, he started mentioning the cost and scarcity of replacement parts. The door was $6k retail, he could not find the front radiator grills ('05 style I believe), etc. That said, he totally loved the car. That said, despite the accident, when he put it up on the rack to check it's alignment, it was perfectly straight. As we all know, he noted that it was built out of unobtainium.
Anyway, I offered to see if I could put him in touch with folks who might have some scarce parts. Further, my heart goes out to her (currently unknown) owner. If he is reading, looks like they were making good and very careful progress. They were treating it as the work of art it is.
Kinda' reinforced why I drive mine in Empty Pockets mode (i.e. almost never) :)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No '05 grills are available. You must switch to an '06 front end.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I have to say that it does worry me about my car when I take it out that any fender benders would be not only sad but also extremely difficult to find parts for.

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
'Zactly...

I have to say that it does worry me about my car when I take it out that any fender benders would be not only sad but also extremely difficult to find parts for.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
was thinking about this yesterday, parts are becoming scarce and the car is only a few years out of production, how would it be in five or ten years from now, nonetheless, I will still drive mine as often as I can, the day I decide to park it for good, is the day the for sale sign will go on.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
On the upside........ c'mon we have to be strong guys..... :lol

Folks drive around in vintage cars and find parts for them.

I wonder what actual stock numbers are for certain parts? If you need a door, a wing or a clamshell?

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Man you guys are scaring me!!!:eek. I'm nervous enough driving her around now I'm getting paranoid. :ack
Maybe we shoud cryogenically freeze them until parts are available. :willy

Aren't there forum members who have stocked replacement parts for resale like fenders, radiators etc....