Status
Not open for further replies.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Would there be any interest in an a simple bumper delete kit? This kit would retain the stock bumper posts. It would be a simple and quick project. It could be a DIY project. It takes less that 10 minutes to remove the stock bumper via the 8 small bolts. These covers would mount quickly.

Please note the covers shown here are just to show the basic concept. The actual covers will be designed to match the contours and general shapes of the GT. I think we can make them so they will look natural to the back of the car. The covers will be made of Fiberglass or a paint able Urethane material.

I really like the looks of the bumper delete kits that are out there but they are expensive and there is a lot of work with those kits due to the removal of the bumper posts. This style would eliminate that requirement and would be easily reversed. The covers over the posts create a stand off zone between the posts and the exhaust tips. A local GT owner who saw the basic concept commented that the stock exhaust tips looked very cool sticking out without being cut back. Reminiscent of the old race cars!!

I would like to get some feed back on interest. I know this is not as clean looking as the other kits. This is just another option which has some advantages as stated above. Target costs should be less than $ 1000.
I am not happy with my Current Carbon Fiber / Fiberglass manufacturer so I maybe looking for another vendor to produce these. I should have a much better turnaround time than what we have on the BH project.

Again, the actual pieces will be much nicer looking. The ones shown are just to give you an idea of the concept. These are actually covers from another car. If you can name the car you win a Cubie Doll ... :biggrin
I look forward to your comments and feed back.

Dec. 1 2008
I am moving ahead on the "Push Plate " design. Another party has contacted me and is moving a head with their version of this cover style. With my blessing I wish them success in bringing this part to market.

Attachments

• GT post cover.jpg
    GT post cover.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 803
Last edited:

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Are those covers off a Porsche 986?

Best Regards,
Waldo

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
can you post a long shot?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
cat is out of the bag....
stormy is up to good again :)

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Interesting...like to see more views!

Viper

FORD GT OWNER - U.K.
Aug 9, 2008
Kent UK
Yes more views please from a distance.

Aslo....why is your car so clean....has it never been on the road?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...I should have a much better turnaround time than what we have on the BH project....

Ah, but we all had a wonderful time getting to know Dr. Frank - too bad a Jib-Jab cartoon couldn't have been made....

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Yes more views please from a distance.

Aslo....why is your car so clean....has it never been on the road?

I've got two GT's. This one does not see much road time. It is usually apart for project developement.. Now my other one has 9000+ trouble free fun miles !!! :thumbsup

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Busycat-- this is very cool. A great alternative.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I think matte rubber might work better

There isnt any other black colored fiberglass or moulding on the car, so it might stand out and appear grey v. rear facia; whereas rubber would be same texture/color as tires and other black rubber moulding.

Some 80s Countach's had similar

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Very interesting and potentially appealing. As others have noted, a few other views would be appreciated. Body colored rubber would be my preference off-hand - like the P-car pieces they use over at Bumper Plugs (http://www.bumperplugs.com/BPindex.html).
All this said, the complete bumper delete look is cleaner. My hesitance in going this route, besides the cost, is leaving my gals derriere completely unprotected :)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Brian, as others have ask, can you post 2 photos of the complete rear end. one strait on and another a 45 degrees?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Alright, you've piqued even my interest. Distance and side shots would be nice. If the other owner was 1418, I hope he was sober. My guess is the piece shown is off a runningboard from a pickup or SUV. Do you live near a junkyard? I personally don't like the idea of fiberglass. You might talk to jbyrnes in CO about production.

JimF

GT Owner
Dec 19, 2006
Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe
Bumper

I like the idea of this project, Stormcat.

My thought, it seems like we are all "designers" or "critics" of most every idea posted here, is to have this look more like the Cobra "bumpers" In other words, rather than something that looks like a piece of a bumper, make it look like it was intended from the beginning. Of course, I don't know how you do that leaving the stock posts. Could you fab a metal piece that would fit on the post and simply be a verticle piece the minimal width necessary and about 6 or 7 inches tall? That would be a cool looking alternitive, IMHO.

Big Dog

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
My guess is the piece shown is off a runningboard from a pickup or SUV.
Torrie has about 300 runningboards in his garage... help yourself Frank:biggrin

0506FordGT

Jan 29, 2008
Maryland/Georgia
I think matte rubber might work better

There isnt any other black colored fiberglass or moulding on the car, so it might stand out and appear grey v. rear facia; whereas rubber would be same texture/color as tires and other black rubber moulding.

Some 80s Countach's had similar

Agreed!
I like it... not as much as the completely flush delete but at the same time I feel this would aid in a alternative to backing up into something/being bumped from the rear. Have any side shots?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I like the idea of this project, Stormcat.

My thought, it seems like we are all "designers" or "critics" of most every idea posted here, is to have this look more like the Cobra "bumpers" In other words, rather than something that looks like a piece of a bumper, make it look like it was intended from the beginning. Of course, I don't know how you do that leaving the stock posts. Could you fab a metal piece that would fit on the post and simply be a verticle piece the minimal width necessary and about 6 or 7 inches tall? That would be a cool looking alternitive, IMHO.

Big Dog

This style concept has been discussed.. :thumbsup

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I'll try to answer all your questions with this post. As stated in my first post I too think the other bumper delete kits are cleaner looking and I love the look. This is a simpler less expensive, easier alternate that could be installed by just about anyone. This design will easily convert back to the original stock configuration. It also has a few other advantages.

These pictures were taken just to get a rough visual of the concept. These Bumper caps are from a Porsche Boxer. I was originally going to use these for a starting base for the prototype but some of the contours and angles were not close enough to my desired end goal. I did not take any side shots because these were just end caps and they did not extend back far enough to cover the posts. You guys are great but sometimes you don't read thoroughly and you would have had comments that they need to extend further so I did not want to show something and give the wrong impression.

The final material will be paintable. When we get further along we will test some colors. I think Satin Black to match the screens or Body color will cover most peoples taste? We'll see what those look like.

Someone brought the question of push bars. When the GT guys were here in early October I shared the concept idea of Cobra style push bar with them. They liked that Idea and may have something in the works. I originally had two Ideas for a simpler bumper delete kit. The Push bar style and a simple cap as I have shown here. For those who know me I start these projects as something I'd like to have for my GT and if other GT owners like the idea great!! It's fun to share with my GT brothers.

And Frank The other GT owner was not Manny but I'm sure when he sees you again he'll kick your chair for the kind words you've displayed !!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
can you post a long shot?

"She's Got Legs" to win in the 5th race .... pays 50 to 1 ......:biggrin

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Hmm, looks like a cool idea. Depending on the final outcome, I'd be quite interested.

The covers look the bumper overriders on my 911 turbo (996)

Status
Not open for further replies.