Air Filter Replacement - Part 2 (AKA 2,700 miles doesn't mean "new" on a 15 year old car)

Jeff Romig

GT Owner
Nov 10, 2020
Three Rivers, MI
Now I understand all the messages about low mileage / "new" 15 year old cars requiring some maintenance. My 05' GT which I purchased from 2nd owner in July with only 2,700 miles. Planned a simple air filter replacement on Sunday and ran in to this mouse house. No telling when this happened, but reinforces that a lot can happen when cars get stored and not driven. Should run a lot better when 50% of the air flow isn't restricted. Luckily all the building materials are upstream of the filter and didn't ingest into the engine. Aside from this little incident I have so far successfully, replaced the battery with the Optima red top (wanted to do Odyssey but learned the hard way that its about 1/2" too tall, replaced defective boost and fuel gauge (Autometer replacements with help on diagnosis from Rich and directions from the forum), changed the engine oil (with directions from the forum) and got the air bag recall completed with an at home visit from our local dealer). Rubber seals and belts all look great and body and paint are fantastic. Learning more about the car every day and loving every minute of it. Thinking about getting a film application so I can drive the car more and protect the paint, but have not started to investigate that yet as to options in western MI.
Air Filter 3.jpgAir Filter 2.jpg

Reactions: extrap

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Very impressive. At least you caught it.

Sounds like you are making great use of the Forum and other GT resources.

Enjoy the new purchase!

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I assume you've confirmed that the mice didn't eat any of the car itself? That's what happened to my Kubota tractor. They were living under the hood next to the fuel tank and decided to eat the fuel sending wire. They literally ate the insulation and the wire itself as it was completely severed. Gauge no work, is of course how I found out. That was a year ago, and it looks like that's all they ate 🤞

Jeff Romig

GT Owner
Nov 10, 2020
Three Rivers, MI
I assume you've confirmed that the mice didn't eat any of the car itself? That's what happened to my Kubota tractor. They were living under the hood next to the fuel tank and decided to eat the fuel sending wire. They literally ate the insulation and the wire itself as it was completely severed. Gauge no work, is of course how I found out. That was a year ago, and it looks like that's all they ate 🤞
Everything else looks great and like new. Really lucky on that for sure.

Reactions: extrap

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Low mileage definitely does not mean the air filter doesn’t need to be replaced.
I remember a forum member telling me a story about a piece of his air filter getting stuck in the throttle plate at 100 mph.
I am sue he is rigorous with his maintenance and it wasn’t old.
Can only imagine what an old filter might do.

Shawn

GT Owner
Nov 27, 2018
PA
Jeff,

What issue did you have with the Odyssey being 1/2" taller. Are they not a viable replacement for the Optima?

Thanks

Jeff Romig

GT Owner
Nov 10, 2020
Three Rivers, MI
Jeff,

What issue did you have with the Odyssey being 1/2" taller. Are they not a viable replacement for the Optima?

Thanks
The trunk liner wouldn’t quite fit flush. I’ve had good luck with Odyssey on other cars but this just didn’t quite fit.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Nice thing about GT filters is that they’re from a Mustang, just buy two!

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
I think you better find the mouse, before it gets worse.......
Remember taurus filters at pep boys, its the samething
gtjoey1314

Jeff Romig

GT Owner
Nov 10, 2020
Three Rivers, MI
I think you better find the mouse, before it gets worse.......
Remember taurus filters at pep boys, its the samething
gtjoey1314
Pretty sure it’s back with the original owner.

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
Looks like more than a mouse house... maybe a small village!
Good catch and hope everything else runs well for you. They are phenomenal cars!