Aftermarket parts

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Just curious if anybody expects aftermarket NGT parts like those made for the FGT, whether performance or aesthetic (engine braces, hot buttons) ... or is the car already so well done there's not much else to do? (is that even possible?! 🙂 ) ... I just mean, is it such an integrated vehicle of proprietary parts that work so well there's not really much else to do to it 🤔 That's the impression I get. Or maybe it's appreciating so rapidly that even fewer want to modify them than even FGT owners seem to anymore?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You have the Heffner pipe and BBS wheels. Cup holders already there (except carbon series on purpose)

Reactions: extrap

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Heffner also makes paddle shifters and Andrew at Exoticare makes custom floor mats.

Reactions: extrap

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
You’ll see some customizing “jewelry”, but very few performance parts. As you surmised, it’s a tightly integrated and highly tuned package, and you can’t do much to it within the existing envelope. The body is so tightly stuffed that there is virtually no room to add or change the factory configuration.

700 HP is about as much as current state-of-the-art allows from 3.5 liters with reasonable reliability. Yes, you can turn up the boost and get hundreds more HP and torque, but if you use that power for more than a few seconds, you will reduce engine life. And I hate to contemplate what a replacement NGT engine costs.

To put it in perspective, a 3.5 liter V-6 making 700HP, is the same state of tune as a 2006-06 5.4 liter engine making 1080HP. Sure it can be done, but there is a price in reliability as well as in the wallet.

Last edited:
Reactions: dshears and extrap

medici78

GT Owner
Dec 31, 2006
El Paso, TX
The NFGT is literally the only car in my fleet I don't plan on customizing. If it didn't have the carbon fiber wheels, I would have likely installed the BBS FI-R's but I have a tough time justifying a wheel swap when the lightest option is already on it.
If somebody comes up with a tune that can give more power with a safety margin for the gearbox, etc., I'd be all-in but nobody seems to be interested considering the tiny market.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
This has been discussed before. DBK has advised about voiding warranty and replacement costs.

Reactions: PeteK

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Why mess with perfection??
It has plenty of power as is!
It’s not I got a bigger one than you syndrome is it?

Reactions: Stef