Aftermarket company uses my FGT for R&D

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
If they were essential don't you think that the manufacturers would put them on in the factory?

I hear this often and each time I’m reminded how many car enthusiasts don’t understand automobile engineering and manufacturing or, for that matter, manufacturing in general.

Without getting into a debate over the merits of a catch can (I use them on the passenger side of all my modular motors), your statement is completely at odds with the realities manufacturers face. They are required to meet numerous benchmarks, many at odds with each other, and you cannot simply say that the omission (or inclusion for that matter) of a part is an optimal solution.

You intuitively know this. The most obvious examples are the trade offs between performance, durability and emissions. If you are making a car and are required to warranty the emissions system 4x longer than the powertrain, which system are you going to favor over the other in terms of performance and durability? Cost considerations are another huge trade off. How many new trucks don’t have a differential drain plug? Is the absence of the plug indicative of a “best” design or perhaps a $1 cost saving measure. You be the judge.

The examples showing why your statement is incorrect are numerous.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
I
I have Shadow´s catch can ( believe made a few for us years back); what I like about the product is that it blends in well with the coolant tanks. Blow-by is also a function of pulling high revés. I found more than just drops of oil. The can has a quick release at the bottom.View attachment 61841
This looks like Guyett’s product.

Reactions: Nafod

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I

This looks like Guyett’s product.

That’s it. I have the same one.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I went back to my messages in 2011; paid 535.00 dollares. Same manufacture Guyett.....I presume Shadowman sold thru Discover Auto.

Last edited by a moderator:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I believe it was purchased directly from Evan in Fresno. Are they not stainless steel?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
This is why I was curious how much the UPR piece is.....

kiko1

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2020
Miami, FL
This is why I was curious how much the UPR piece is.....

I would call them and inquire. Not sure how much it goes for.

Reactions: Specracer

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
FYI, I’m not versed enough on catch cans to have an opinion but, if I’m not mistaken, we (Ford) provide a catch can in the supplied equipment for GT 500’s equipped with the track pack.

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
I added this years ago purchased cheap from Jegs. Added a billett bling cap later

Attachments

• B5AFDA68-1028-4596-A58A-75B232CC8E7C.jpeg
    B5AFDA68-1028-4596-A58A-75B232CC8E7C.jpeg
    700.1 KB · Views: 0

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Years ago I had a built 5.4 equipped with a big KenneBell blower that I beated regularly and once had reason to remove the blower for service. i was surprised about the amount of oil film on the internals.

Reactions: kiko1

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Evan still has several of his units in stock if interested. I just bought one.

I like the OEM appearance of his. I am assuming they all work.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Another thumbs up for Evan's unit. (y) Really like how it looks original in the engine compartment!

One of the earlier mods we did.

Drain about 1/4 cup every oil change with 1000-2000 miles of aggressive/spirited driving.