Aftermarket company uses my FGT for R&D

kiko1

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2020
Miami, FL
Hey guys, some of you might know that I just got my dream car last month. 05 Silver stripe delete. I have some background in drag racing and one of our vendors from the drag racing scene is big into making catch can kits. They saw I got the car and asked if they can fit one on to the car. Since I know there are no ill effects of a catch can, I said sure and they did a quick video of it. Hope this is allowed here. I'm not trying to push their product, although it's not a bad idea to have on the car.

Thank you

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I have a UPR catch can on my Demon, and it is a very nice product. I have a 4.0 Whipple on my GT, as well- I might have to give them a call. I don't like the idea of oil mist gumming up my rotors and decreasing the octane of my intake mixture. Congrats on getting your sweet GT!

Reactions: kiko1

kiko1

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2020
Miami, FL
I have a UPR catch can on my Demon, and it is a very nice product. I have a 4.0 Whipple on my GT, as well- I might have to give them a call. I don't like the idea of oil mist gumming up my rotors and decreasing the octane of my intake mixture. Congrats on getting your sweet GT!

If you call, ask for Steve the catchcan man. He used these little brackets that looked like they were made for the FGT. I was very pleased with their products.

Reactions: DakotaGT

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Hate to say, I actually have no idea what a catch can is or does...

Reactions: Ed Sims and kiko1

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Been through the "catch can" thing here many times. There are some exceptional situations, like prolonged racing, that MAY make a difference, but for the a teaspoon of oil in 3000 miles the only beneficiary of the catch can is the seller. I pulled my supercharger at about 1500 and again at 4500 miles and there was no signs of any oil accumulation.

The amount of oil involved amounts to drops per 100 miles. Octane doesn't change for that.

If you have excessive oil in a catch you've got a much bigger problem than a catch can can fix and you'd know about it before the catch can tells you.

If they were essential don't you think that the manufacturers would put them on in the factory?

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Hate to say, I actually have no idea what a catch can is or does...
It is a collector that sits in the line to the PCV valve that "catches" any blow by oil. Like I said, if you're getting enough there to matter, you've got a much bigger problem.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Been through the "catch can" thing here many times. There are some exceptional situations, like prolonged racing, that MAY make a difference, but for the a teaspoon of oil in 3000 miles the only beneficiary of the catch can is the seller. I pulled my supercharger at about 1500 and again at 4500 miles and there was no signs of any oil accumulation.

The amount of oil involved amounts to drops per 100 miles. Octane doesn't change for that.

If you have excessive oil in a catch you've got a much bigger problem than a catch can can fix and you'd know about it before the catch can tells you.

Do you tend to drive like an old man? My guess is YES, since you said you weren't even comfortable taking your GT out, due to your poor eyesight, before you sold it. I would further guess that people that have Whippled their GTs like to drive aggressively from time to time, and when you do that, you WILL see more oil accumulation than if you baby it constantly. Whether or not that translates into an actual NEED for such a product is certainly debatable, but I am super fastidious about my machinery, and hey- I waste money on dumber things, anyway. I WILL say this- on my GT500 with 3.4L Whipple (also an engine with no knock sensors), I WAS getting enough oil in my intake tract to lower the octane enough to cause knock when the tune AND the fuel should have been more than sufficient. It takes less oil than you think, Tony, especially if you are running an aggressive tune without much buffer built in.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
That's for the transaxle. This discussion is about the engine.

It shows both.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Do you tend to drive like an old man? My guess is YES, since you said you weren't even comfortable taking your GT out, due to your poor eyesight, before you sold it. I would further guess that people that have Whippled their GTs like to drive aggressively from time to time, and when you do that, you WILL see more oil accumulation than if you baby it constantly. Whether or not that translates into an actual NEED for such a product is certainly debatable, but I am super fastidious about my machinery, and hey- I waste money on dumber things, anyway. I WILL say this- on my GT500 with 3.4L Whipple (also an engine with no knock sensors), I WAS getting enough oil in my intake tract to lower the octane enough to cause knock when the tune AND the fuel should have been more than sufficient. It takes less oil than you think, Tony, especially if you are running an aggressive tune without much buffer built in.

I had two Shelby Mustangs before the GT with superchargers installed by Shelby. Both never accumulated any oil and at that time I was a very spirited driver and was so for the time I had the GT in Colorado, with regular weekend trips into the mountains. I knew the folks doing them. I asked why this kit included it and the other one didn't. It was a vendor choice (Kenne Bell did, Whipple didn't). Both said they don't matter... Later when they put one on their parts catalog we discussed it again and the conclusion was "Yeah, they don't do much but people want to buy them so we sell them.

YMMV.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
I had two Shelby Mustangs before the GT with superchargers installed by Shelby. Both never accumulated any oil and at that time I was a very spirited driver and was so for the time I had the GT in Colorado, with regular weekend trips into the mountains. I knew the folks doing them. I asked why this kit included it and the other one didn't. It was a vendor choice (Kenne Bell did, Whipple didn't). Both said they don't matter... Later when they put one on their parts catalog we discussed it again and the conclusion was "Yeah, they don't do much but people want to buy them so we sell them.

YMMV.

I've had enough conversations with you over the years to know that there is no point in continuing the debate. Suffice it to say that I agree that this mod would be a waste of money for many people.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Suffice it to say that I agree that this mod would be a waste of money for many people.
Which is precisely what I said in the original post.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
If they were essential don't you think that the manufacturers would put them on in the factory?

Tony, we aren't discussing a FACTORY setup here. Many of us have modified machines.

Which is precisely what I said in the original post.

Um, kind of... I guess. :rolleyes:

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Nice project. It does seem that there is enough oil caught by my catch can to justify having it. Then again all of the miles on my car are hard miles.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Wow, those are some big diameter wheels, 21 and 20" inch?

I know the GT500 guys have come to believe only the passenger side catches any real quantity of oil. I will be interested in seeing if you find any residue on the Driver's side can. Please keep us posted on your findings.

Reactions: DakotaGT

kiko1

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2020
Miami, FL
Wow, those are some big diameter wheels, 21 and 20" inch?

I know the GT500 guys have come to believe only the passenger side catches any real quantity of oil. I will be interested in seeing if you find any residue on the Driver's side can. Please keep us posted on your findings.

Hi, they are 20/21 wheel setup. I love the fitment.

Funny you mention just one side of the motor. The guy that did these mentioned that I probably wouldn't see much from one side if anything. It was more of a just in case thing.

Thanks!

Reactions: 2112

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Hi, they are 20/21 wheel setup. I love the fitment.

Funny you mention just one side of the motor. The guy that did these mentioned that I probably wouldn't see much from one side if anything. It was more of a just in case thing.

Thanks!

The passenger side of the motor has the 1” breather hose from the oil pump pulling vacuum from the passenger side valve cover of the motor. I would imagine running a oil catch can on passenger side would be useless.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I have Shadow´s catch can ( believe made a few for us years back); what I like about the product is that it blends in well with the coolant tanks. Blow-by is also a function of pulling high revés. I found more than just drops of oil. The can has a quick release at the bottom.929CE0D0-208A-440A-90C0-38E218BD1F86.jpeg

Reactions: JWZ and 2112

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Is a cost available?