Advice on which book to read

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
I'm headed out in a couple weeks on a surf safari with my son. Thought I'd pick up a book to read. I've been looking at two particular books that might be a good read. Would anyone recommend "Go Like Hell" -( Ford, Ferrari and their battle) or The Dust and The Glory"- (Ford Racing HIstory)?

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
"Go Like Hell" -( Ford, Ferrari and their battle)

I found this book to be very interesting. One of my favorites.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Go Like Hell, before they make it a movie. A couple years ago Michael Mann and Brad Pitt were attached to it.

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
:thumbsup

Go Like Hell

If you have not yet read "The Art of Racing in the Rain" go get it.

Stu

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Go like Hell is a great book, but it won't take you long to read (unless you're StormCat). If you can, find the May 2009 Playboy. Has an article by the same author and other things to read.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Go Like Hell

Stu

I will second both of those. Racing in the rain will get you by surprise though.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Go like Hell is a great book, but it won't take you long to read (unless you're StormCat). If you can, find the May 2009 Playboy. Has an article by the same author and other things to read.

The author is also one of the editors of playboy magazine.

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Thanks for the quick feedback. I'll pick up both of the suggested books.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Tell me more about the safari!

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Tell me more about the safari!

Excellent question!

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
Take a playboy with you

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Better yet, take a playmate with you!

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii

Go Like Hell

Stu

Marc,

Do not miss either one. That's an order!

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
dallas dad.jpg3248820870105.jpg

Got that playmate already, but leaving her behind...dont need the extra headache. Just focused on gettting in the water and catching some nice waves with my son before he heads off to college. We did a trip to Costa Rica last year and had a ton of fun.

Cobraguy

GT Owner
View attachment 29705View attachment 29706

Got that playmate already, but leaving her behind...dont need the extra headache. Just focused on gettting in the water and catching some nice waves with my son before he heads off to college. We did a trip to Costa Rica last year and had a ton of fun.

I took my family on a surfing holiday last year to CR.... Spent a few days at Tamarindo and surfed Witches Rock. The "bigger than your ass" nachos at the beachside restaurant there are to die for!

Cobraguy

GT Owner
Oh and also.....the guy who owns the board rental place across the street is a professor up here at the Univ of Calgary ...small world....

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Another good quick read; Against Death and Time by Brock Yates. Fateful 1955 racing season. You had to be lucky and ?good to survive racing back then!!

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
The voting appears to be unanimous, but fwiw, I also liked "Go like Hell". If you want another book, get "The Limit-Life and Death on the 1961 Grand Prix Circuit" by Michael Cannell. It is also a good read.

Separately, I did a surf trip to Tamarindo with my sons a few years ago as well. Loved Cantina Las Olas and the Taco Stop. Surfing Playa Langosta. Zip line tours. It was awesome--you'll have a great time!

mal

Heritage GT Owner
Nov 23, 2012
London/Kent, UK
'Go Like Hell' is great but 'Life at the Limit: Triumph and Tragedy in Formula One' by Prof Sid Watkins is also a fascinating read.