advice needed

blownaway

GT Owner
Nov 14, 2006
have finally made desicion to buy a gt. found a new june of 05 all option red and white for158k at dealer with 25 miles, or blue with white all option of april of 05 for 155k with 650 miles private owner. i like both colors but the red still has all paperwork and plastic covers while the blue has no stickers or even manual. but owner swears it is as new. any thoughts on which is better buy? i like blue color sightly better. by the way prices seem to be on rise.the few left at most dealers are the owners and they want 5k to 30k over msrp.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
have finally made desicion to buy a gt. found a new june of 05 all option red and white for158k at dealer with 25 miles, or blue with white all option of april of 05 for 155k with 650 miles private owner. i like both colors but the red still has all paperwork and plastic covers while the blue has no stickers or even manual. but owner swears it is as new. any thoughts on which is better buy? i like blue color sightly better. by the way prices seem to be on rise.the few left at most dealers are the owners and they want 5k to 30k over msrp.

Color wll be preference. Blue will be less common. Sales tax will be a consideration - there may be a big difference in price with that factored in. Also make sure you look at optins - that they are equal since each major option is several grand. Personally, I'd go new so it is "your baby".

If you have a good price on a new one now, I think you are very lucky.

H

HHGT

If you can swing a lesser $ bill of sale from a private party, it may help you on sales tax. But of course I do not know what this means, so I am not giving you any advice. Just some hear-say..

Good luck...

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I would think a 550 mile car would be very close to new, and if you like the color better, I'd buy on that preference. Do you know the VINS?

Interesting observation on the prices. I think it's probably fairly accurate. I don't think the GT is some magic car that won't depreciate because it has a large volume, but I think there are so many owners who are in it for life, it makes the pool of cars legitimately available much smaller...

Good luck and let us know :cheers

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Color wll be preference. Blue will be less common. Sales tax will be a consideration - there may be a big difference in price with that factored in. Also make sure you look at optins - that they are equal since each major option is several grand. Personally, I'd go new so it is "your baby".

If you have a good price on a new one now, I think you are very lucky.

I have seen several new ones on e-bay and I think a dealer here in Maryland is having trouble getting rid of a red one. I am not sure if it is still there but you could try them (Aldridge Ford, Lexington Park Maryland). Before I purchased mine I did stop in and talk to them and the price was well under sticker. PM me if you are interested in a new one and I will get you in touch with them. I was convinced about going new to make it my gal also.

Pe2unia

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

'Real simple:
If the concept of "used", or "650 miles on the clock" bother you at all - buy the new one.
If not having all the paper & plastic bothers you - buy the new one.

If the color really makes no difference, and saving several thousand bucks is the thing that'd please you most above all else hands down - buy the used one. Because, if you intend to DRIVE THE THING - you'll have 650 miles on that new one in a weekend!!!!( And you'll look at the 650 miles that are NOW on the odometer of your NEW car and say to yourself, "Crap! I just paid "X" thousands of EXTRA dollars to buy this new one which NOW has the same miles on it as that USED ONE!"

YOUR OWN mind set & your own finances will be what ought to tip the scales for you one way or the other. What we all advise here really ought not be a factor...

Pontificating Pockets

Last edited:

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006

Get the one, that deep down inside, makes you smile the biggest.

Thats the whole point anyway. :cheers

blownaway

GT Owner
Nov 14, 2006
new or used

thanx for the advice. i love the blue and a rarer color but worried what 650 miles of not knowing if broken in properly or shifted from stop in 3rd instead of first. i drove in blinding snow storm last week to see the red and like its been said here before it hard to go wrong with any color with the lines of this car.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
i love the blue and a rarer color but worried what 650 miles of not knowing if broken in properly or shifted from stop in 3rd instead of first.

The 3rd gear thing can happen within 25 miles too with an idiot at the wheel.

But, what I sense must be your "gut feeling" is right - 'greater odds in 650 miles.

It's your call, Sir!

05redrich

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
MA
I had a dealer print out the dealer locator info for the Ford GT on friday 1/26/07 (guy I know is buying one). I got a 15 page fax (and not sure if it includs 05 cars) of cars sitting at dealerships, and it sounds like MSRP is not a problem. So you should be able to find most colors (maybe not colors and options) for sticker brand new if you want it. you might end up over sticker if you factor in the plane ticket if the car is not local, but the drive will be worth it.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
A couple of other thoughts.

Be careful about how many show up as available on the dealer lists. A number of those are owned by the principals and are not for sale (I personally know of two).

A number of the cars were tested at the factory and will have the 25 miles. That is not a problem. GT-TECH on the forum was one of the drivers.

BIGGEST issue we all neglected is warranty. The used car will have a warranty that will start at the inservice date. The new will be when you drive it out. On these cars, the longer the warranty the better (not for issues, but just in case - stuff is expensive). Right now the warranty is 3 years or 36K miles. Don't think anyone has an extended available yet. So, figure what another 6 or 12 months of coverage is worth and that could help justify one way or the other.

Call the dealership with the VIN - they can tell you the inservice date.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
You should go for NEW. Plenty of red cars with <3mi. at MSRP. I asked my dealer in JUly to sell at MSRP and ship via Fed Ex custom critical to my door for no extra charge. I feel '05 have just sat too long, and warranty clock is running on used.

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Get the one, that deep down inside, makes you smile the biggest.

Thats the whole point anyway. :cheers

Good advise:thumbsup

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
A couple of other thoughts.

Be careful about how many show up as available on the dealer lists. A number of those are owned by the principals and are not for sale (I personally know of two).

A number of the cars were tested at the factory and will have the 25 miles. That is not a problem. GT-TECH on the forum was one of the drivers.

BIGGEST issue we all neglected is warranty. The used car will have a warranty that will start at the inservice date. The new will be when you drive it out. On these cars, the longer the warranty the better (not for issues, but just in case - stuff is expensive). Right now the warranty is 3 years or 36K miles. Don't think anyone has an extended available yet. So, figure what another 6 or 12 months of coverage is worth and that could help justify one way or the other.

Call the dealership with the VIN - they can tell you the inservice date.

I think a notice was sent that cars delivered new after a certain date (can't recall) are now 5 yr./50,000 mi. warranty ?????

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I think a notice was sent that cars delivered new after a certain date (can't recall) are now 5 yr./50,000 mi. warranty ?????

When Ford changed to the company wide 5 year warranty the GT was excluded.