ACE Hardware DIY License Plate Stand-offs

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Concerned about heat behind the license plate that cannot vent, I made this license plate standoff using metric allen bolts, washers and steel sleeves from ACE Hardware. I used Permatex to provide added insurance that the bolts would not back off.

standoff.jpg

This created a larger 5/8" standoff and sufficient acute angle that the license plate lights still illuminate the plate itself.

standoff_1_.JPG

This may be less expensive from Home Depot but was $12.55 including the Permatex and tax.

Hope it is helpful.

- doc

Last edited:

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
DIY Stand-offs

eshrink:

How long are the Stand-offs and Bolts ???

AMB

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
The bolts are allen head metric and are about 2" long. The steel sleeves are about 5/8" in length. It is a very quick and inexpensive task although likely you can get those parts cheaper than ACE.

It came to $8.20 plus I was out of "loctite" so that added to my total cost of $12.55. If you have Locktite or equivalent sitting around, and you drop by Home Depot or Lowe's. You are likely looking at closer to $7.00 out the door.

If you are like me and have to tinker, there are many little projects like that on the GT that I have done.

Best regards,

- doc

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Doc,
I would be curious about other "fixes" you have done on your GT. What other similar tinkering have you done?
Scott

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
FWIW I think you will find that the bolts are simply phosphated 6mm x 50 mm with a 1.0 pitch and that they ,togther with the spacers, will rust in short order. I looked at my car this am and thought about making the parts for this but didnt. The idea seems logical enough but I would be suprised if any actual difference other than an academic one would be gained, particually as the clamshell intake openings are in line with the extant vent holes on either side of the plate (or tag depending on your region).

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Let's wait and see the results form Mad in NC and BigsGT with their thermal testing.

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
DIY Stand-offs

I am going to try a "SS" hinged standoff to mount the top of the plate, so it will swing out with the "HIGH PRESSURE" of the engine compartment.

AMB

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Scott:

Very simple things such as getting a $6.95 pigtail from Battery Tender; attaching it to the battery so that I have a quick connect and disconnect for my $39.95 Battery Tender (brand). (I never opened the factory-provided trickle charger).

There is a small electrical device called a Tap-IT that allows you to get power to devices such as a Valentine1 without cutting the wire.

- doc