A really cool barn find.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Great story and project Chip,

good luck finding the necessary parts and getting it back to its glory. Looking forward to updates.

Matthias

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Don’t throw any usable parts away. Many people are still hunting used parts on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Therapy

Gentlemen,

Working on an old motorcycle is a form of meditation for me. When so much of what’s going on today doesn’t make sense, here is something that I can wrap my head around. Unlike modern cars, the old motorcycles I have are simple enough for a non-tech like me to understand. Watching the news is upsetting, wrenching on or detailing this thing has the opposite effect. I think my next project after this will be to find a great Labrador puppy and train a new bird dog. My last Lab “Jet” has been dead for almost 3 years now so after Le Mans I’ll start that search.

Chip

Attachments

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Home at last.

Gentlemen,

Charley’s first bike has been finished and on display in my trophy/living room for some time now and yesterday morning C4 finally made it home to see it. He flew in from Houston with his Texas A&M sweetheart Haley to spend the long weekend and go to Barrett Jackson. The last time he was on it was 20 years ago when he was 6. He said “I remember it being bigger than this.” Wonderful.

Chip

Attachments

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Wow that’s awesome seeing them reunited!

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA

I just finally found a YZ80 like I had as a kid. Can’t wait to restore it. I thought the same think about it being bigger...

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Parts arriving from all over.

Gentlemen,

This project would be a lot harder without the internet. The majority of what I need is still available from Honda but a lot of key components are not. I found what appears to be the only new seat on the planet but the graphics aren’t quite right as it’s a 1999 seat and the bike is a 1996. NOS new Honda fork down tubes were a great find as well as a few other items. The engine and transmission need some attention before I start on cosmetic stuff. This is like building a model airplane when I was a kid.

Chip

Attachments

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
My good friend had the z50, while I had a CT 70.

This project looks like a great ride for a future grandson or gal.:thumbsup

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Cool story Chip.

Button

Jul 11, 2009
St. Paul, MN
Whhhat??? You have to love AZ. That bike looks brand new still. Leave something outside in MA for 15 years?? Looks a little different....

Congrats on
That's how I felt too! Leave something out in the weeds in MN and it's going to take A LOT of work to bring it back.

Chip, what a cool story. Have fun rehabbing the old bike.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Whhhat??? You have to love AZ. That bike looks brand new still. Leave something outside in MA for 15 years?? Looks a little different....
Yeah I guess it only stayed in restorable shape because it’s out here. Most of the aviation bone yards as well as the Air Force decommissioned plane storage is here in Arizona. 350 days of sunshine a year, very little rain, and low humidity is a good environment for machines left outside. The extreme heat causes problems but wet conditions are far worse. The bike has a little rust but I’ll glass bead it clean before painting.

Chip

PeteK

GT Owner
Apr 18, 2014
Great Falls, VA
Great story. Got me a little choked up.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '05 & '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Central California
Very cool Chip...

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Great story Chip. Brings back memories.

Some of my own were when I was 12 with my late 1960’s mini trail. Like Captain America’s classic - the rear suspension was the seat. I used to drive it endlessly and for years. Sometimes the simplest of things are the most fun :thumbsup I’ve often thought of buying another one except with proper rear suspension.

Good luck with the project brother.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Sooo cool Chip! As you can see, I’m a sucker for nostalgia too. I looked long and hard to find two of the 50s in the pic below so my kids could have the same experiences I had growing up. To me, the new ones “just ain’t the same!” Let me know if you need a pic or are having trouble finding any parts, I’ve been working on these things since I was 10.

Also here’s a pic of my Trial 250 that I tucked away in a barn back in the early nineties only to rediscover it almost 30 years later! I made my own barnfind!!

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I also wanted to share this: My friend’s house. This is upstairs in a second floor bedroom! It goes to show you, us GT folks aren’t the only eccentric people!

Last edited:

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
Chip,

What year is that?

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
I also wanted to share this: My friend’s house. This is upstairs in a second floor bedroom! It goes to show you, us GT folks aren’t the only eccentric people!

Very cool Kevin. Your friend's wife must be very understanding. :wink

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Very cool Kevin. Your friend's wife must be very understanding. :wink
There is no wife, I wonder why...

Apollo

GT Owner