ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
911 daily driver.

I have been thinking about a fun but bit more practical (than the GT) car for a daily driver. I was thinking about a used recent model 911. One with AWD and a manual trans. How are they from a reliability stand point? Anyone here use one for a DD?

Jcthorne,

My girlfriend drives a black 911 4S Targa as her daily driver. I've driven it quite a bit lately as well. It has been stone reliable, handles great, good stereo and climate control, and she gets a lot of compliments on it. When it's parked next to my Ford GT it looks kind of like a Volkswagen bug but out on its own it looks pretty sporty. A surprisingly roomy trunk in front and I'm always astounded at how much stuff she can pack into that little German car after a shopping trip. I've never considered a 911 as my daily driver but after spending quite a bit of time in Susan's I just might.

Chip

Attachments

• GT A.jpg
    GT A.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 374

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
I've owned my 87 911 since new...my daughter pleaded that I not sell it when I got the GT, it is her favorite car and she actually prefers it to the Ford...
She graduates from college tomorrow but in the early 90s used to ride around with me in the baby seat in the front seat (it wouldn't fit in the back seat) listening to Tom Petty with the targa top off.
She is my only child that can drive the car since it's a manual.
They are wonderful cars...it really is part of our family, just like the GT.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I've owned my 87 911 since new...my daughter pleaded that I not sell it when I got the GT, it is her favorite car and she actually prefers it to the Ford...
She graduates from college tomorrow but in the early 90s used to ride around with me in the baby seat in the front seat (it wouldn't fit in the back seat) listening to Tom Petty with the targa top off.
She is my only child that can drive the car since it's a manual.
They are wonderful cars...it really is part of our family, just like the GT.
I too have a 1987 911 targa that my kids grew up with. I have owned it since new.It was the car my son and daughter learned to drive a manual transmission in. I just turned a 100k this summer. It is also like part of our family! I read my wife your post and she said that sounds like you! She questioned if I wrote it! I do remember chatting with you.As I remember you are a cross fit guy too.My son is now doing track events in the 911!My wife adores the car and won’t ever let me part with it! Specracer doesn’t adore as much! Its always his loaner car!

Attachments

• 2013-07-22-1190.jpg
    2013-07-22-1190.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
I too have a 1987 911 targa that my kids grew up with. I have owned it since new.It was the car my son and daughter learned to drive a manual transmission in. I just turned a 100k this summer. My son is now doing track events in it!My wife adores the car and won’t let me part with it! Specracer doesn’t adore as much! Its always his loaner car!

Hey Rocket...we met at NOLA and you took me out for a run.
I am finally putting my toes in racing like you, but only my toes...
Its a Chump-Lemons Series 98 Ford ZX2, cheap crap car racing, but racing nevertheless..
Thanks for the inspiration.
Joe

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Joe ,
If I inspired you ,I am flattered and honored ! Its all about the passion and having fun!
Boy it sure is fun!
This is what I call fun!
Re read my first response to you .I added some to it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nev-xUSqvA&feature=c4-overview&list=UUZqTcTpcMy3kexEtFrRiLTg
My best regards,Ron
HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!!

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Here is the whole skinny on the rust treatment for the 911 series cars:

Body Galvanizing in Porsche 911....AJK

Thanks for the specifics - :thumbsup

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Here's mine. 1976. No rust. Used to be a daily driver. 116,000 reliable miles.Porsche At Whiskys.jpg

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Joe,
1st question, is your daughter graduating from State or did she choose somplace else?
2nd question are you trying to make the Lemons race in Ft. Worth during April or any in Texas this year? Quite a few of us are playing in the Lemons/Chump series.

Larry

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Joe,
1st question, is your daughter graduating from State or did she choose somplace else?
2nd question are you trying to make the Lemons race in Ft. Worth during April or any in Texas this year? Quite a few of us are playing in the Lemons/Chump series.

Hey Larry,
Yes she's graduating from Mississippi State in the morning. We just got the car yesterday and we don't even have a seat in it yet. Our first race is March 1 at NOLA. We will play it by ear after that.
Joe

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
I have had 3 911s in the past and always say they are the best everyday sportscar to drive. I also agree with considering a Mustand as my daily driver is a 2011 Saleen. But if youre itching for a tight handling, fast reliable car you cant go wrong with a 911. I also suggest getting more for your money and not getting a 4WD unless you drive in the rain often. You could get more car for the extra cost of 4S. The 2WD or regular S is as good handling on dry roads in my opinion.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Nice 78 911!
JOE good luck in your race!
Let us know how you do .
Best of luck!
Ron

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Not a 911, but I recently stole my wife's Cayman S as a DD, once they put salt on the road here.
I'm a little to big for the car, but it's fun and capable.
Would be more interesting with 200 more HP.
Best,
Mark

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Not a 911, but I recently stole my wife's Cayman S as a DD, once they put salt on the road here.
I'm a little to big for the car, but it's fun and capable.
Would be more interesting with 200 more HP.
Best,
Mark

So what's she DD'ing, if you stole it?

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
My wife broke her foot a month and a half ago while we were in the Keys (heels and alcohol, lol)...

I had bought her a 997 C4S last year and it became a paperweight once she was in a cast. So I started driving it instead of my pickup truck. I've always been fond of Porsche's (I also have an '86 Turbo Look Targa) but never realized how much fun the newer 997's were until I drove it on a daily basis. After about 3 weeks she started getting jealous and told me to get my own. HAHA.

Anyway I just took delivery of an '08 997 TT and cannot believe how incredibly versatile and flat out fun this car is. Honestly its the perfect daily driver.

Good luck in your search! (Thats actually half the fun) :)

John Weires

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2009
I have a 2009 911S (997) that I use as a DD with 30k miles on it. I love it. Nimble, plenty fast, just a nice ride. One passenger door window motor replaced as well as a fuel pump, both under warranty, have been the only issues. I have driven the new 991 911 and it is noticeably improved pretty much everywhere with maybe the exception of steering feel as they went electric.
Compared to the 997 4S, the 991 911 4S's AWD is pretty transparent and much harder to distinguish from the RWD 991 911 model.
I had a 2005 GT but sold it as it was impractical to DD and had limited garage space.