7.22 at the Ring!!

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA

H

HHGT

Wow... The Stick was moving violently, is that normal?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

'Mebbe 'cause th' engine wuz cuttin' out kuz hit th' rev limiter, er whut?

H

HHGT

Obviously kept hitting the rev limiter and fuel shuttoff. Why did he not shift more often? Could have saved another .10 off his time. My question should have stated; does the drivetrain move that much?

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
does the drivetrain move that much?

Yes, it does.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Yes, it does.

So the rumors of shifters and one of the sexes it true, especially in new Viper! :biggrin

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
the viper ACR is badass :cool the ZR1 can suck my viper ACR's tailpipe :tongue

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona

its because the driver kept missing his shift points and kept hitting the rev limiter which caused the trans and the shifter to freak. i bet the viper ACR could turn in a sub 7:20 lap with a better driver......

Last edited:
H

HHGT

Well I guess with the 7.22 ACR besting the 7.26 ZR1 explains why the ZR1 production has been halted.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
... explains why the ZR1 production has been halted.

It HAS?:eek Where did you see/hear that, Sam?

H

HHGT

It HAS?:eek Where did you see/hear that, Sam?

I posted on another thread under other cars. First I got called by the Chevy Dealer owner and then read it on the corvetteforum

281cammer

Aug 20, 2008
That's good stuff there. I love the new ACR's

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
What tires was the ZR1 running?

The C5 / C6 Z's broke the record on the Goodyear F1's as I recall.

If the ZR1 was on Goodyears or something lesser than the PSC's, I would be placing a healthy wager on the ZR1 in an equal tired re-match. Figure approx 8-9 secs for tires alone on a track this size.

Your right though, the driver did not have enough seat time in 6,000 RPMish redline car. Bouncing off the rev limiter does cut times.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I posted on another thread under other cars. First I got called by the Chevy Dealer owner and then read it on the corvetteforum

A dealer's darn sure not going to pass on rumors of THAT type. So, I'd say that's pretty much the end of it alright.

'Bummer... :frown

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Too wierd since Car and Driver is creaming all over it in this month's issue.

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
Sometimes the up shift then down shift takes more time than hitting the rev limiter for a second and leaving it in a lower gear.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Sometimes the up shift then down shift takes more time than hitting the rev limiter for a second and leaving it in a lower gear.

I have to agree on the Rev chip......I give the man a lot of credit. I have tested the Viper and while under a road course the stress of man handleing the heavy beast really gets complicated by forcing the shifter which is hard to move (not at all like a crisp GT) then add to the fact the darn shifter is bouncing around like a moving target...yikes.

When i got done testing I was exausted and nerves shot. I see he had the same problem I had on left turns the A pillar size and position makes tight lefts a guessing game.

I would have to guess but after watching shifts and how he adjusted speed with cinfidance he had mad many laps before this run. Just a guess.

Hats off to the driver

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
The bottom line is the Almighty ZR1 got its head handed to it. The ACR is a Monster! Mine will be here soon.

Magnus

Jul 16, 2008
Well, I wouldn't say the ZR1 had its head handed to it. 4 seconds on a 7 min track is a pretty small margin, however the Viper still won. :)

Here's the thread on the viperclub site about the ACR at the ring:
http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/617667-acr-7-22-ring.html

The driver is actually very skilled, and has much experience. Its not likely he would be able to shave more than just a few seconds off of his best, if that.

Its actually quicker to bounce off the rev limiter than to upshift/accell/downshift/brake when going into many of the turns as he did. Remember, smooth is fast. :)

I own an 06 Viper and an 02 Z06.. and let me say, I love my Viper 10x more than I do my vette. Its all around a much better built car.

I'd imagine the ZR1 will be an exceptional car though.

These cars are very comparable in performance, handling and price point, however they are still very different cars. I see the vette being more of a comfortable cruiser car with style and power and the viper being more of an aggressive car with tons of torque.

Oh, in regards to the bouncy shifter. The fix is real simple. Install stiffer motor and trans mounts and the shifter will be as solid as can be. That combined with a shorter throw shifter and the car is REAL easy to drive. I have quite a few hours of agressive driving on my viper already and its probably the easiest and most comfortable "race car" I've ever been in.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
I have not had a Viper since 1997. I have a 04 C5 Z06 use as a track only car. And have to agree the C5Z is not nearly as cool or solid as any Viper, more of a driver or fun track car with a few minor adjustments.

I have driven the C6 Z many times. It is a different car if you have not driven one yet, comparing a C5 Z to a C6 Z is very different in the power dept.

I too am tempted to add an ACR to the collection. I am not suggesting it is not a Bad Arse Machine. I am suggesting the ZR1 may have the edge in an apples to apples comparison at the ring or any other track.

As stated 4 seconds is not much in a 7 minute lap. It equates to about 1.2 seconds on most tracks we run here in the US. In a contest like this the driver is the key...."on any given Sunday" comes to mind. For most, the diff in a track tire vs. a great street tire is considered to be 4 seconds on a 2.5 mile track. Or about 10-11 seconds in this comparison.

For the record the ZR1 was wearing PS2's - tread wear 220
The ACR is wearing the PSC a near race compound - tread wear 80

Personally I am not ready to crown the ACR the king. I would not place any wagers on on either car in a heads up run. They are both awesome and too close to call.

Now, If I were buying either I would buy the ACR as I think it will hold it's value better and is a more exotic piece of art.