572 all-alloy hemi

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...but I know that Tim does good work, and frequently HAS TO FIX THE MISTAKES of other notable hemi engine builders...

About 2 years ago, a buddy of mine had Mondello Performance (a loooooooooooong-time 'big name' in Olds engine building) build a 455 for his Hurst Olds. Yeeeeeeeeeew wouldn't BELIEVE the screwups the outfit made in even the SIMPLEST, most BASIC engine building/assembly processes. A LOCAL PERFORMANCE ENGINE BUILDER had to go thru my buddy's 455 and UNscrew what had been screwed up. (Just one small example: Would you believe two cyls had had 2 sets of oil scraper rings installed in place of the normal compression/scraper ring configuration??? There are PHOTOS proving that...as well as others proving a host of other things...)

However, in fairness to Joe Mondello (may he rest in peace), he's no longer with us...and, therefore, 'is totally blameless. Back when HE was running things at that shop, I seriously doubt this kinda stuff would EVER - EVER - have snuck by. Trust me on that. Joe was 100% "old school"...in every sense of the term...

Last edited:

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
About 2 years ago, a buddy of mine had Mondello Performance (a loooooooooooong-time 'big name' in Olds engine building) build a 455 for his Hurst Olds. Yeeeeeeeeeew wouldn't BELIEVE the screwups the outfit made in even the SIMPLEST, most BASIC engine building/assembly processes. A LOCAL PERFORMANCE ENGINE BUILDER had to go thru my buddy's 455 and UNscrew what had been screwed up. (Just one small example: Would you believe two cyls had had 2 sets of oil scraper rings installed in place of the normal compression/scraper ring configuration??? There are PHOTOS proving that...as well as others proving a host of other things...)

However, in fairness to Joe Mondello (may he rest in peace), he's no longer with us...and, therefore, 'is totally blameless. Back when HE was running things at that shop, I seriously doubt this kinda stuff would EVER - EVER - have snuck by. Trust me on that. Joe was 100% "old school"...

Yes I am familiar with Joe Mondello's name and Oldsmobiles. I think the same problem exists in the Hemi world with Ray Barton's operation – if he were physically doing everything himself, things would be great, but his operation has gotten so large and his name so big, that his lackeys do the work, and quality suffers.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...his operation has gotten so large and his name so big, that his lackeys do the work, and quality suffers.

Trust me, sir, you'll get no argument from me there...

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
My, but you are an argumentative one, aren't you?.

Wow! I thought I was engaging in a conversation where there is an exchange of ideas and information. Obviously not. Have at it bud.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Wow! I thought I was engaging in a conversation where there is an exchange of ideas and information. Obviously not. Have at it bud.

Edit:

My apologies. It appears that I misinterpreted your comments.

Last edited:

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Update- car is finished, with the exception of the hood. I must say, I am in no particular hurry to finish the hood, as I think it looks pretty badass without one.

I finally have an old Mopar that will keep up with the new toys! Well, at least through the quarter-mile.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441434994.689588.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441435019.953752.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441435036.927439.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441435050.753910.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441435066.225333.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441435080.382338.jpg

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I LIKE IT! :thumbsup:thumbsup

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Looks great. It should be a screamer. Bring that beast to Florida and I'll help you break it in.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Great looking setup .... and great choice on wheels & tires also ... looks perfekt!!!:thumbsup

:cheers
Anders

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Thank you, gentlemen.

Paul, I wish that was a feasible option! What a blast that would be.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Nice Collection Clint. I see you changed your forum name. This one is much easier to remember.. Looking at the 572 Hemi and carbs I would guess your family is in the oil business !! :biggrin

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Nice Collection Clint. I see you changed your forum name. This one is much easier to remember.. Looking at the 572 Hemi and carbs I would guess your family is in the oil business !! :biggrin

:lol Thanks, Brian!