572 all-alloy hemi

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I have been waiting and waiting for this engine to be finished. Just completed last week, and arrived from Ontario (ForHemisOnly) today. Dyno'd at 812 hp on 91 pump gas, with just a very mild solid roller cam, for longevity. Should move my 1967 GTX down the road just fine. AND, the GT Guys finished my 4.0 Whipple install this week, too. What a great week!

Attachments

• 572b.jpg
    572b.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 745
  • 572.jpg
    572.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 540

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Whose ENGINE is it? (I know forhemisonly built it, but, what company cast the block/heads, etc.?)

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Whose ENGINE is it? (I know forhemisonly built it, but, what company cast the block/heads, etc.?)

Indy Maxx block and Stage V heads. FHO works their magic on the heads with their amazing CNC program, enabling major power production without radical valve train/ cam. Tim Banning of FHO is definitely The Man, when it comes to all things hemi. Oh, and the intake is a reworked Mopar Performance cross-ram, with original twin 770 Holleys.

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
:thumbsup - - Looks Great!!

:cheers

Looks likes there is room for more than 2 Quads on top!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Nice!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Indy Maxx block and Stage V heads. FHO works their magic on the heads with their amazing CNC program, enabling major power production without radical valve train/ cam. Tim Banning of FHO is definitely The Man, when it comes to all things hemi. Oh, and the intake is a reworked Mopar Performance cross-ram, with original twin 770 Holleys.

"Indy Max" is a new one to me...but, then again, I haven't been 'keeping up' as they say.

That's one i-m-p-r-e-s-s-i-v-e looking 'commencer'!!! 'Would love to hear it run! :willy:willy:willy

Torqueflite, or...?

Last edited:

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Looks terrific. What is the weight difference compared to an iron hemi?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
That is an impressive powerplant Clint.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Love those Hemis and that's a big one. Should be fun trying to drive it on the icy SD roads. I remember driving my supped up '57 Chevy that had to idle at 900 RPM on those icy roads in the 60s. Started off from most stop lights in the winter going sideways at an idle. LOL

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
What is the weight difference compared to an iron hemi?

'Been a while, but, as I recall, the all-alum Hemi setup weighs about 537/527 lbs???

Last edited:

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Thanks guys! As far as the questions-

Indy and Keith Black are probably the two biggest names in 426 hemi-based hemi blocks, along with Mopar Performance. I don't know exactly what this engine weighs, but Pockets is right on for most street hemis with all-alloy components. Mine probably weighs a bit more with its cross ram setup and two carbs, but still probably a bit less than a typical small block Chevy. Certainly a bunch lighter than the iron block, iron headed 440 it will replace. And no winter driving for this car!
EP- my GTX will be running its original hemi 4-speed, and a gear vendors overdrive unit, with Dana 60 rearend and 3.73 gears.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
:driving:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 213

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
sweet!!!

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
EP- my GTX will be running its original hemi 4-speed, and a gear vendors overdrive unit, with Dana 60 rearend and 3.73 gears.

Aaaaaaah...then (depending on tire diam) expect around 2,900 RPM @ 70 mph. (My V8 S-10 runs a G.V.O.D. and a 3:73 posi Ford 9".)

Your GTX should be an absolute animal... :bow

(Were I you, I'd be sure to install a DANGED STOUT clutch and flywheel...and a scattershield bellhousing too...! :willy)

Edit: If you don't have 'em installed already, a pair of subframe connectors is manditory if you wanna keep the car's body from 'warping' on ya...

I'll shuddup now... :O

Last edited:

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012

I, along with many others, would have to disagree about the "number one" thing, but Art Chrisman and his shop certainly have my respect. Remember, the hot-rodding world exists outside of California, too. Tim Banning is just an engine builder, and second to none when it comes to Hemi engines. Chrismans shop is the whole package, and exhibit an unbelievable level of craftsmanship in their work, just like many other ultra high-end shops.

Thanks for the links. That 55 T-bird project with the Cammer engine looks awesome, and is actually similar to something I have envisioned for my '57 someday.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Aaaaaaah...then (depending on tire diam) expect around 2,900 RPM @ 70 mph. (My V8 S-10 runs a G.V.O.D. and a 3:73 posi Ford 9".)

Your GTX should be an absolute animal... :bow

(Were I you, I'd be sure to install a DANGED STOUT clutch and flywheel...and a scattershield bellhousing too...! :willy)

Edit: If you don't have 'em installed already, a pair of subframe connectors is manditory if you wanna keep the car's body from 'warping' on ya...

I'll shuddup now... :O

Actually, I have 30" tall tires, so with my 0.78 overdrive fourth gear, I will be turning just under 2300 rpm at 70 mph, which should be perfect. That is why I selected the 3.73s. I was running 4.56s.
And, I do already have a good Centerforce unit, and steel scattershield, and subframe connectors. But I appreciate your suggestions!

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I, along with many others, would have to disagree about the "number one" thing.

Growing up just outside Detroit I came across many Hemi shops. As a kid though, I read about the original hot rodders on the west coast. Now that I live out here and have immersed myself in to the people, history, and culture, it is almost a foregone conclusion that you take your Hemi to Chrisman if you really want that bad boy to run right.

The last time I visited his shop, there were about 10 Hemi project on stands that simply looked spectacular. If nothing else, it's just cool to stop by his shop and take it all in.

BTW - not many people know the history behind Ardun Heads. Care to take a stab before Googling?

Last edited:

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
My, but you are an argumentative one, aren't you? I did not realize that there was only one person in the world who was capable of building a proper hemi. I really have no idea how Tim Banning stacks up to Art Chrisman, but I know that Tim does good work, and frequently has to fix the mistakes of other notable hemi engine builders, such as Arruza, Ray Bartman, etc. His CNC program for hemi heads is regarded by many to be the best in the business, and many hemi engine builder experts send their heads to him before they build the motor.

Furthermore, I have no clue as to the history of Ardun heads. I bow to your superior knowledge. By the way, I never claimed to be an expert, myself.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Loving the back and forth. There are good engine builders everywhere. No one area of the country has has an exclusive on being "the best of the best".

A. Duntov.

Keep up the good work and keeping us informed as this project progresses along.