458 Spider

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
So I've been calling and discussing options to purchase an F car now for a month. I have never been so jerked around in my life. This is a pretty frustrating position to be in. A client with the money and no one to take it. I get the exclusivity around the car, but this is nuts. They are not even that interested in speaking with me. I am not sure if they are questioning my ability to purchase the car or they have so much demand they don't care.

I've been told things from "...buy an FF for 300k and you can have an allocation for a car in 6 months. When you turn the FF in expect to lose about 100k."

"You can be on our list for 10k, but don't expect a 458. Our wait time is over 24 months. In that time a new model will be announced and you will again be pushed behind our preferred clients another year or two..."

"I can get you a car in about 6-7 months if you purchase a 430 companion to enjoy while you wait. Then you can turn it in when your car comes."

So I have come to terms with not getting to order a new car in any timely fashion. I have now found a car that I believe to be close to what I am interested in. The dealer was originally looking for 100k premium on a 2012 car with low miles. After a couple of phone calls they moved to 75k over MSRP for the car. They don't even reply to my phone calls about a counter bid at this time. I just can't conceive of a car company and dealer network that behaves like this. Especially for car that I would expect to drop 100-150k in depreciation in about 2 years.

I can't believe I am still interested in playing this game. I am now trying to decide if a MP4-12C spyder is the better car. It's too bad that I don't get to decide which car I want and have to settle for the only one available. I am still trying not to become a hater, but I finally get the F ENZO plates I see around.

Rob

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I had a similar experience. That's why I own a FGT and not a F430. :biggrin

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I just can't conceive of a car company and dealer network that behaves like this. Especially for car that I would expect to drop 100-150k in depreciation in about 2 years.

Sounds like a good reason to wait and get one in 2 years. No way I would play that game. Too many other great cars out there.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I can't believe I am still interested in playing this game.

Neither can I...

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I bought my 2010 458 coupe lightly used from an independent dealer in late 2011 when it was about 15 mos old. I paid around msrp including the car, spare wheels, and custom mats. I guess my point is Ferrari spyders are so new, if you wait till next year you can probably have your pick of the one and half yr old ones at a good price. They are great cars.

The bigger question is regardless if the Ferrari dealers are giving you cra-, I would really reconsider the Mclaren MP4 unless you have your heart set on the F car. I dont know the market on Mc spyders, but the coupe market is very soft for such a great car. I got an amazing deal on my coupe at way under msrp. The Florida Mc dealer I worked with was excellent. He could probably help you find a Mc spyder at a good price. Feel free to PM me for his name. Having had a 458 (and loved it) I would still go for the Mc over the 458, unless you are real tall and or broad shouldered. My only major plus on the 458 vs MP4 comparison is the Ferrari is a little roomier and has more seat options for bigger guys.

Good luck

Last edited:

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
I had the exact same experience in Houston at the Ferrari dealership on a 458 spyder as well. They were trying to push a coupe on me and then allowing me on the list, as well as the story about $10k deposit and that they can't promise a 458 as well but when a new model came out I would be pushed back behind their "regular" customers. I find this strange since both our experiences are the exact same just mine came from Houston. All in all it very much soured me on the whole owning a new Ferrari experience but still back in my head is this thought of ordering my own one day but not at the expense of putting up with that sort of treatment.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I have a 458 Coupe and Mac Spider. The spiders are still bringing big money over the coupe. I like both cars--drove the 458 200 miles over the weekend.

The mac is racier but I like the paddles and quicker shifts of the 458. Both are gawk cars. If you dont care about a vert the Mac coupe is the best bang for the buck. Customer service is also better at Mac.

If you don't want to lose $$ buy another GT.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
PM sent

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's been jacked around by them. It does feel good to air out my beef against them. I just made a decent counter offer on the spider again and they will not budge. Took them a week to get back to me. Feels like they didn't even consider it.

The other thing that airing out my frustration did was get me a few contacts that may open some opportunities for me. I should have known. Have to love everyone on this forum.

Rob

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Like they said on SNL, "We're Ferrari and you're not".

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Btw the Mac is super high on my list. I hate to say its a close second. My patience is thin and at this pace I could see a nice volcano red mac spyder in my future too.

Rob

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Btw the Mac is super high on my list. I hate to say its a close second. My patience is thin and at this pace I could see a nice volcano red mac spyder in my future too.

Rob

I'm really liking the Mac Spyder, but the nearest dealer is either Dallas or LA, and I'd be a little concerned about support. I doubt they will put a crew on the new Dreamliner to Denver to help.

Either that or maybe I'll be the first Heritage GTX.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Please don't sacrifice an original Heritage. Buy another car, do the converson and have it painted heritage.

This has been the usual F car BS for years. The market must be picking up, cause they were a little easier. Why not have Shelby get you what you want?

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Well it's funny how fast things can change and how great of a car community this is. After several forum members offered to help my quest I have finally found the one.

df60388ca00728bd71184dffb5b8444f.jpg

A local forum member (MNJason) gave me contact information to set me up with a Chicago dealer who made it happen. I now have a new 458 spider with delivery miles. The car was only 30 miles from me and the dealer made contact with a customer who purchased this car to help his LaFerrari chances. Now it's mine! Here is the funny part I showed up at his place in my FGT and he was as interested in this car as I was in the 458. Timeless cars...I can only hope the 458 feels like the FGT in 10 years.

97fd53f2c8eb878976fa6b2de3b6e10d.jpg

Otis

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Sweet Jesus that is nice.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Sweet Jesus that is nice.

+1

...your 'double wide' in the background isn't 1/2 bad either!

Nicely done all the way 'round, sir! :thumbsup:thumbsup

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Well done. Looks great. The 458 is pretty awesome - probably the far other end of the spectrum as the GT in terms of tech.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Gorgeous 458 Spyder Otis. Enjoy.

Vince H

Last edited:

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008