3rd Brake Light MOD: GT safety

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
Thanks you for the DIY information. However, one word off caution. I haven't had much luck with the glue used on Velcro staying put under heat. I used it for a heavy radar detector before and it keep getting unglued in hot sunlight! The engine compartment may also have a similar issue.

:thumbsup

Good point. I'll keep an eye on it during the driving season. I doubt it'll be a problem since this thing only weighs a few ozs. and even if it was not stuck on, the device pretty much stays where I currently have it due to the stiff short wiring on the right side.

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
sign me up

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Hey Guys I have modified Jdoc7's invention just a little. Instead of a lipstick container and Velcro I used 3/4 waterpex PVC pipe with two caps and wire ties so that the heat wont affect the glue. I drilled two holes in the end caps just large enough to run the wires through and painted the caps with a flat black paint (after drying wrapped with electrical tape). The gomini control fits absolutely perfect in this pipe and I think it turned out pretty good. If anyone wants to try this and is in need of a pre-cut piece of tubing PM me I will send it out to you and all you will need is the caps and other accessories. Here are a few pictures of the project. Thanks again to Jdoc7 for this great idea for this will increase the safety for those of us with a rear bumper delete.:thumbsup

http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg38/jrb328/pulsar 3rd light install/

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Pe2unia - you made Bony proud with your workbench shot! :cheers

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Pe2unia - you made Bony proud with your workbench shot! :cheers

I thought he would be :biggrin:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
A big thanks to jdoc7 for finding the part numbers for this mod!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
It's illegal in Texas to have a flashing red light on anything other than an emergency vehicle. 4 flashes would likely be overlooked but 15 seconds would probably get you a face to face with Johnny Law sooner or later.:lol

P.S. I like it but don't think it's needed. I've not seen any GTs totaled from the ass end yet but maybe I missed them.

Just finished installing one in my wife's Prius. It works great, it has a lockout not to flash when in stop and go traffic. I just hacked the wiring of the Prius, for my FGT I am waiting for some OEM connectors so I don't need to cut the wiring.

Note in CA it appears to be legal, but I am not a lawyer, so this a not a legal opinion.

V C Section 25251.5 Deceleration Warning Lights

Deceleration Warning Lights

25251.5. (a) Any motor vehicle may also be equipped with a system in which an amber light is center mounted on the rear of a vehicle to communicate a component of deceleration of the vehicle, and which light pulses in a controlled fashion at a rate which varies exponentially with a component of deceleration.

(b) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with two amber lamps on the rear of the vehicle which operate simultaneously with not more than four flashes within four seconds after the accelerator pedal is in the deceleration position and which are not lighted at any other time. The lamps shall be mounted at the same height, with one lamp located on each side of the vertical centerline of the vehicle, not higher than the bottom of the rear window, or if the vehicle has no rear window, not higher than 60 inches. The light output from each of the lamps shall not exceed 200 candlepower at any angle horizontal or above. The amber lamps may be used either separately or in combination with another lamp.

(c) Any stoplamp or supplemental stoplamp required or permitted by Section 24603 may be equipped so as to flash not more than four times within the first four seconds after actuation by application of the brakes.

Amended Ch. 410, Stats. 1983. Effective January 1, 1984.

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc25251_5.htm

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
BlackIce: If you want to use OEM connectors Torrie can get them for you for a plug and play.......I connected mine the other day, excellent thread suggestion.....

Attachments

• 2011-10-09_08-39-55_141.jpg
    2011-10-09_08-39-55_141.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
On the gominigo site, they state it is small enough to fit inside the light "cavity" itself.

Has anyone tried this?