3 Year Maintenance Items

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California
Just finished doing the three year maintenance on my GTs, and have found some items to relay that I don't recall being discussed.

AIR FILTERS - My original air filters were made with orange rubber and very substantial. The filter elements ran lengthwise, and code number on the filters is XL3U 9601-AC-RR. The replacement filters purchased from Ford use black rubber with the filter elements running widthwise. Code number is XL3Z 9601-AA. These new elements are not as substantial as the original ones that came with my cars. Remember we did have a forum member that had his throttle stick open when a filter came apart and lodged into the throttlebody. These new black filters did have dripping black plastic in excess when molded.

OIL PUMP - On my heritage I found a slight oil leak and traced it to the shaft that comes out of the oil pump. There is a seal that is supposed to keep the oil in the oil pump. This seal is not available as of yet. To fix this problem the oil pump has to be replaced. At a cost of about $1500 for the pump alone, a seal replacement hopefully will be found. A handful of these pumps have been replaced already due to this seal leaking.

ALUMINUM THRESHOLD STRIP - The polished aluminum strip that you have to crawl over when getting in or out of your GT, gets scratched very easily. I have found that Mothers Mag and Aluminum cleaner will take the scratches out and make it look like new.

TIRES - If you are running Hoosiers, please remember that these are race tires and as such lose air. I didn't run my car for a couple of months and the tire pressure went from 28 to 15-18 lbs per tire. All four lost air and was told that this is normal.

Hope that this information is helpful. It is just a partial payback for all of the great information I have received from our Forum brothers and sisters.

Gary Tryhorn

KDO GT

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2008
Hollywood MD
Great Post

That will be on my to do list:thumbsup

Rockstar

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2009
Golden, Colorado
For me, my car maintenance training started young. With riding gocarts and motorcycles. Then it graduated into race cars. I learned verry quickly on a weekly basis how important it was to go over the machine I trusted to be competitive and safe each time I raced. This is equily important on my GT and other performance street cars. Before and after every time out at the track it is simple and reashuring that I take the time to go over my car.
A simple check list to check all fluids, lugnuts, wheel berings, brakes and give the whole car an over all shake down gives me piece of mind every time I push the little red start button :biggrin.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
AIR FILTERS - My original air filters were made with orange rubber and very substantial. The filter elements ran lengthwise, and code number on the filters is XL3U 9601-AC-RR. The replacement filters purchased from Ford use black rubber with the filter elements running widthwise. Code number is XL3Z 9601-AA....

Yes - I noticed this early on, and have kept my original filters for posterity if my progeny ever decide to perform a full restoration and make it a show car. The replacement filter is a generic and used on the Ford Lightning pickup.

OIL PUMP - On my heritage I found a slight oil leak and traced it to the shaft that comes out of the oil pump. There is a seal that is supposed to keep the oil in the oil pump. This seal is not available as of yet....

Something for Wally (Cobrar1339) or Jay (Analogdesigner) to consider having made by seal company.

ALUMINUM THRESHOLD STRIP - The polished aluminum strip that you have to crawl over when getting in or out of your GT, gets scratched very easily. I have found that Mothers Mag and Aluminum cleaner will take the scratches out and make it look like new.

As an alternative, purchase a new set and put them away, and install Jake's (Project321) beautiful billet aluminum strips.

TIRES - If you are running Hoosiers, please remember that these are race tires and as such lose air. I didn't run my car for a couple of months and the tire pressure went from 28 to 15-18 lbs per tire. All four lost air and was told that this is normal.

Hope that this information is helpful. It is just a partial payback for all of the great information I have received from our Forum brothers and sisters.

Gary Tryhorn

Right On!

Last edited:

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
I researched the forum last week.

This is the information I gathered.

Not inclusive and some are personal preference, so please add/modify.

3 year service

1. Change engine oil & filter - Motorcraft 5w-50
2. Change engine coolant and inspect cooling system - vacutech/fill method
3. Intercooler coolant change - vacutech/fill method
4. Change transaxle lubricant
a. Motorcraft XT-75W90-QGT – 5 quarts with cooler & TA breather
5. Install a new fuel filter - part # FG 1091
6. Change brake fluid – DOT 4 – Ford DOT 4 or ATE Super Blue
7. Change clutch fluid – DOT 4 - Ford DOT 4 or ATE Super Blue
8. Install magnetic oil/fluid drain plugs - Kendall @ www.cooltechllc.com
9. Install Ti brake pad shims - from Wally - www.fordgtparts.com
10. Inspect brake pads, rotors, lines, and hoses
11. Inspect steering linkage, suspension, and ball joints
12. Check the supercharger oil fluid level
13. Check power steering fluid
14. check the Ford recall axle bolt replacement for integrity
15. change/clean air filters, K&N part # 33-2317
16. Multi-point inspection

Aprrox cost from Ford dealer: $2K

Also check the following items:

At Rear (Underside):

1. Inspect power steering pump for any leaking.
2. Inspect top of pans for screws, fasteners, broken zip ties, etc. Look for signs of leaks and location + type of fluid.
3. Clean top side of pans - to make next inspection more relavant
4. Inspect for oil around oil pump belt protective cover (indicating potential pump o-ring problem/failure)
5. Inspect braided steel engine oil line at connections.
6. Replace missing and/or misused pan fasteners
7. Inspect engine oil cooler for leaks
8. Inspect top side of half-shaft heat shields for transxle fluid (TSB)
9. Inspect belts and feel tensioner

At Front (underside):

1. Inspect for proper/missing fasteners
2. Inspect for bent splitter stand-offs (puts "frown" arch in splitter)
3. Inspect lines and hoses

Body (Topside):

1. Transaxle cooler fittings
2. Shocks (for oil leaks)

pauleddy

Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 14, 2007
Newport/Boca Grande
Excellent check list. Agree with the air filters (would also include K&N fuel filters), pan fasteners and oil pump potential leak look-see. Might suggest doing all/part of this a bit more frequently, especially if your car is driven hard and often...garage queens, not so much.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
belts

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I stock almost all of the OEM Parts (my day job) and what I don't have on hand I can get quickly FYI.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I stock almost all of the OEM Parts (my day job) and what I don't have on hand I can get quickly FYI.

I can vouch for that! :thumbsup

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I can vouch for that! :thumbsup

Thanks buddy !