27 LITRES....

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I'm a pretty good DIY guy, and I'm in awe of this project. What a labor of skill and love. Can't wait to see/hear it run!

wmjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Wow, I love the idea. Please keep posting your progress.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Epic build, big guts to accomplish a project like this, when you cannot expect any expert to fix those nasty details noone has experienced yet.

seriously looking forward to all updates.

jr66

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2017
scottsdale
You are a modern version of Phil Remington who did everything for Caroll Shelby

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
http://instagr.am/p/B5p2aEjlv2m/

Here is the video..............

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Wow!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Dave,

This can’t be healthy. I think about that car every morning when I get up and way too much during the day. So let’s make it worse. I saw some drawings in your garage of what your RR/Merlin car will look like when you’re done. Would you post a couple of those please? And a couple photos of your massive sheet metal forming/bending machines. Thanks.

Chip

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Several years ago, had a chance to tour the Roush engine shop, and the warehouse (an amazing hoard), for these engines. They really are incredible.

David, this is such a cool project!

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Awesome Orange is the NEW black drivers suit! I can say that I have seen this in person and the pics do not do it justice.

Congrats Dave!

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Dave's car is the Beast of H-town...reminds me of this 28 liter beast.

Reactions: Simon

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
I like to design, fabricate and tinker but I can't begin to even imagine myself achieving something like this!
Amazing project!
This is of the highest caliber, awesome Dave.
Pure genius!!!

Last edited:

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Just OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston

Mongrel, I think the suggestion here is to ship it to the motherland and take it to GW Revival?!

Reactions: Magic

FerrariSlayer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 3, 2014
Spring, TX
This takes "seriously cool" and "totally bad ass" to a whole new level. I've been following the progress on FB but didn't know all the other details behind the project. I can't wait to see the finished product and additional progress posts here on the forum. WOW!! Great job Dave!

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas

The Beast of Turin is always the best car at the Goodwood FOS, and the owner shows ZFG when he flies it up the hill, it makes my engine look like a Briggs and Stratton

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Dave - this is of course totally nuts, in an amazing way. I know you were a mad man, but this is impressive beyond words!

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Okay, a short update plus response to Chip's request. I took the metal working classes in late-September and two months later I've just completed the basic bodyshell. It comprises sixteen panels that I 'wheeled up'. The process is; cut carboard patterns first, along with 3/4" steel strips that are bent to the correct contours. Then wheel up, test shape with the templates, add the flanges using the powered bead roller and fit to the body skeleton. There's lots of tweaking and trial and error of course, but by following Lazze's directions it's not impossibly difficult. The body represents around 80 hours of work. (Interestingly, just before I took the classes, the guy that developed the Occulus Rift VR technology had taken the course. HE is a young guy, now a billionaire but he is restoring a Lola T-70 so there's hope for the car hobby yet!). Next steps are the doors and trunk lid followed by endless hours of boring skim coating and block sanding before paint. It's going to be black so I'll need to force myself to do a good prep job coz black shows up every imperfection. Couple of pics of the body, plus the metal working equipment (English Wheel, Powered bead roller, 48" pin and box-type brake, Shrinker, Stretcher, deep throat Shrinker/Stretcher, and of course a good ole sand bag for hammering on stuff). I've also added a photo of the dash panel because I just think it looks so cool.

The overall process, as per Chip's request, I started with a 1" = 1ft concept drawing. Then this gets scaled-up to 1/4full size so I can pull dimensions off the drawing. It's not a very good picture but hopefully you'll get the idea.RR-83.jpgRR-81.jpgRR-81.jpgRR-81.jpgRR-84.jpgRR-85.jpgRR-82.jpg

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Engine turning is indeed VERY cool as the mounting sub straight (switches and gauge choices are excellent as well).

What does the "exhaust" switch do? Is it a switch for active "cut outs"?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
That's going to look/BE 'killer' when it's done.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Engine turning is indeed VERY cool as the mounting sub straight (switches and gauge choices are excellent as well).

What does the "exhaust" switch do? Is it a switch for active "cut outs"?
Yup