Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
heat+wood+240mph=death

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
flying through the pearly gates with your a$$ on fire. If that's on your list ... this is the car for you. :ack

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Oh come on, F1 cars have a wood strip beneath them, they routinely spark off the undercarriage and they don't burn. Plastic melts, but Corvettes don't. But I digress, this is incredible workmanship. Kind of like a giant full scale model. And I think it shows some incredible craftsmanship for a graduate studies program. Kudos to him for building it.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
My 1930 Chevrolet 4-door sedan had a floor"board"....I think it was 3/4" plywood.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Nice article 'Fly. I would like to see the vid when they test it.

If Howard Hughes could make the Spruce Goose out of wood who says someone can't do a car as well. I didn't get a chance to get into anything besides the brief article in the link. Do they say elsewhere what type of engine they will be using? :cheers

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
the story is more about epoxy than being a wooden car. The use of wood as a core material was pretty common in racing boats until carbon fiber came along. As far as being in a modern car ... I'm still sticking with my previous comment. the forces and heat in that arena ... its not that he's using wood its that he's totally using wood. Neat project ... but ... from the stand point of having raced those aforementioned boats ... wood when weaken by water or a delamination of the core material goes weird fast .. so does carbon or other materials ...but wood swells quickly and the breech is much larger and "interesting". when you've had a three and a half inch long sliver of luan pulled from your leg close to your "boys" you tend to remember that wood, high torsion forces and the human body do not get along well. :frown