2006 FGT bumper delete finally done

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
The week after I bought my 2006 GT (back in 2011 I think it was), I did several mods including short-throw shifter, transaxle cooler, subwoofer relocation, and X-pipe. Later, before Rally X, I had Rich Brooks install a 4.0L Whipple and Spec clutch and other goodies. I tried to make my peace with the factory bumper, and even grew to appreciate aspects of it, but my son Ryan (shown in photo, then and now) had been on my case for years to do the bumper delete. Resigned to finally do this mod, I considered other versions, but Ryan insisted that it had to be the CDC (Classic Design Concepts) version, because it looks the most "OEM". Probably true, but unfortunately this is probably the most PITA version. I will admit, I do think they look great when done properly. bestGTrear.jpgRyanthennow.JPG

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
As many of you are aware, this kit (which I purchased through my go-to guy, Rich Brooks) includes the shortened frame horns/extensions, so you don't have to cut your originals.
bumpdel1.JPGbumpdel2.jpgbumpdel3.jpgbumpdel5.JPGbumpdel6.jpg

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
What the CDC website does NOT mention is that you have to cut your factory exhaust bezel. Apparently, their kit used to include a cut-down OEM piece, but now you have to remove your own from your take-off bumper and cut it down. Thankfully, Rich hooked me up with a blemished used one, which I refinished and now looks better than new, so I could preserve my factory piece.

There are two screws that secure one side of the bezel, but when you chop the bezel down, there isn't much of a hole/boss left to utilize, and the holes are off center, and there isn't much meat left to hold things securely, so I reinforced those areas with some epoxy.

bumpdel10.jpgbumpdel11.jpg

Reactions: extrap and 2112

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
My aftermarket (CoolTech) exhaust was made for a bumpered car, but I was very fortunate to score another brand new CoolTech exhaust from a forum member who had acquired the parts to do his bumper delete, but then ended up selling his car first. Obviously, with the bumper deleted, the factory-length tips would protrude too far. I didn't realize that the angle of the entire exhaust loop is also different, necessitating the use of a redesigned exhaust brace (which mounts to the transaxle case), but thankfully that was included in the sale and worked perfectly.

bumpdel4.jpgIMG_0093.jpg

Reactions: extrap

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
My biggest concern with the CDC kit is that so many photos I see of cars with this mod done have the most atrocious panel fitment, and I was determined to make mine look as good as possible.

I found that the filler panel brackets conflicted a bit with inside of the outermost rear fascia vents, and I was afraid that with movement of the car, it might bind and cause poor fitment after a while, so I came up with this idea to help "lock" everything together. I found some appropriately sized washers and cut them to this shape, and installed them in the lower fascia vent mounting holes, so the filler panel couldn't be moved any further rearward, and this seems to be working out rather well, I think.

bumpdel 7.jpgbumpdel8.jpgbumpdel9.jpgbumpdel12.JPG

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
After reworking nearly every bolt hole and bracket in the kit, and with the help of some choice new words that I invented, and a few phone calls and texts to Rich for guidance, I had things fitting in a manner I was quite pleased with. The body shop got the color matched perfectly, which was another step I was worried about. I have had the car up to "considerable" speed a few times, and everything seems rock solid.

My only serious gripe with the CDC kit is that the filler panel isn't contoured along the bottom edge to match the chamfered edges of the rear fascia that it abuts, so from some angles it appears that the panel isn't lined up properly. If I was doing this over again, I would have spent some time reworking the fiberglass there, and then it would truly look OEM.

bestGTrear.jpgbumpdel14.JPGbumpdel15.jpgbumpdel16.jpg

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
I also finally got around to installing my billet clamshell vents that I purchased months (years?) ago. These things are real pieces of art. I decided to just polish up my top vents and leave them bare aluminum for now, since I like the way they compliment my polished Whipple. The side vents came powdercoated black and look perfect. A real "must do" mod for anybody who plans to keep their GT for any length of time. My originals were just starting to warp and a few of the horribly cheap mounting studs were starting to crack off, despite the fact that I routinely raise the clam to let heat escape, for several hours after each outing. Problem fixed forever now!

IMG_0356.jpgIMG_0357.jpgIMG_0740.JPGIMG_0748.JPG

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Great job!
Nice Pantera.
Just started redoing my 71.
Bored and stroked solid roller Cleveland just made 580 HP.
Best,
Mark

Reactions: RPM217 and DakotaGT

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Fantastic result! As Camilo said, “they designed the system so that owners could remove the bumper to achieve the original intent of the car’s design” (paraphrasing).

Did you do a write up on your GTG cold air intake? Always wondered how helpful those are.

Reactions: DakotaGT

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
A NGT, and a FGT with bumper delete, Whipple, billet clam shell vents ... life's grand, ain't it! 👍:cool:

Reactions: PeteK and DakotaGT

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
A NGT, and a FGT with bumper delete, Whipple, billet clam shell vents ... life's grand, ain't it! 👍:cool:

Yes. Yes it is. :)

Fantastic result! As Camilo said, “they designed the system so that owners could remove the bumper to achieve the original intent of the car’s design” (paraphrasing).
Yep! Thank you.
Did you do a write up on your GTG cold air intake? Always wondered how helpful those are.

Mine isn't actually a GTG cold air intake. Mine was custom made by a local fabricator (Joey Keyman at Excessive Auto). Similar setup, though. I don't think there is a benefit below 650-700 rwhp. Mine is at 725 rwhp on 18 lb pulley and conservative tune.

Great job!
Nice Pantera.
Just started redoing my 71.
Bored and stroked solid roller Cleveland just made 580 HP.
Best,
Mark

Thanks! I had originally planned to do a restomod Pantera with a powerplant like you're describing, but then I found this super-clean 11,000 mile 2 owner early '72 Pantera, and I'm not sure if I have the heart to mod it too much. I probably will end up doing something similar... eventually. Would love to see some shots of your project. You should start a thread on it!

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
BTW, great write-up, and super nice garage (y)

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Great how-to!
Great helper. Good to see the young ones interested.
Final job really looks nice, plus the previous mods. Great car.
Final photos are stunning.

'72 one owner Pantera. Needs some freshening; fluids, brakes, paint correction, A/C etc., but still a great car. Sitting next to GT and NGT in garage, still looks like it belongs. Truly a classic style.

How many Panteras are within the fold? Perhaps someone could start a thread. Priorities are tough. Work on Pantera, or go for a ride? So far, rides are winning out!

Mr.Charger

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2019
Germany, Hamburg
Car look amazing the bumper delete definitely gives the car the real historic look. The vents look great in aluminium, may <I ask where you got those.. have the same red car and will keep her lifetime and am sure the original parts will not make it that long

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Great how-to!
Great helper. Good to see the young ones interested.
Final job really looks nice, plus the previous mods. Great car.
Final photos are stunning.

'72 one owner Pantera. Needs some freshening; fluids, brakes, paint correction, A/C etc., but still a great car. Sitting next to GT and NGT in garage, still looks like it belongs. Truly a classic style.

How many Panteras are within the fold? Perhaps someone could start a thread. Priorities are tough. Work on Pantera, or go for a ride? So far, rides are winning out!

Thank you! These cars are just amazing, as all of us on here know.

Your idea to start a Pantera thread is a great one. I would love to see and hear more about yours, too. Yes, there seems to be quite a few of them around here on the forum. Go figure! :LOL:

Car look amazing the bumper delete definitely gives the car the real historic look. The vents look great in aluminium, may <I ask where you got those.. have the same red car and will keep her lifetime and am sure the original parts will not make it that long

A forum member Pe2unia does an occasional run of these. You might try to send him a message; perhaps he has some available. Worth every penny.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Here are @pe2unia 's (John's) billet top vents: https://www.fordgtbilletparts.com/billet-top-vents

... and side vents: https://www.fordgtbilletparts.com/billet-side-vents

Top's say "TEMPORARILY OUT OF STOCK Coming soon ... should be available June 1, 2022."

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Wow, this takes me back well over a decade, since I did mine (long enough, I dont remember when). Did CDC also, but back then, was the only option.

alexhay3

Subscribing Spectator
Nov 2, 2016
Duxbury, MA
Hey, congratulations on the build. Surely it wasn't easy, but Ryan absolutely called it, as the look is amazing.
How old is your Golden Retriever?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
what a great job. How nice to have the family help with the project too!

I always extra enjoy the photos in your posts, as you have such a wonderful collection in the background!

GT57

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2022
Great job. Car looks absolutely amazing and the attention to details from your side is super.

Now i’m thinking shall I do this or not. :ROFLMAO: