1960 Austin Healey 3000 MK1 BN7

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Ok, I've always had a masochistic edge. I've owned numerous British sports cars and have felt the rejection of logic in choosing them. So here I go again and I added the only Brit sports car I haven't owned, a Austin Healey. Pray for me. BTW, I'm concerned about my mental health with this purchase. While the car is fully restored physically and mechanically I'm thinking of going the full engine rebuild to take it to 185hp. Oooh yeah.:facepalm:

John

AH Car2.jpg

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sharp car, like the color combo. Hope you have a mechanic on speed dial. Seriously, cool car though.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
One of my all time favorite cars, gorgeous, enjoy it in good health (yours and its)

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Beautiful car. They wouldn't be any fun if logic were involved with these things. I have some Whitworth wrenches you can have.

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
Austin Healy 3000 was my fathers dream car. I have always had MGs and Triumphs. Started doing Solo II in a Midget when I was 16. Have three MG Midgets now. Its just another symptom of the disease!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Always loved Healey's. Looks real clean .In regard to the making no sense comment a few posts back.Our GT 's make no sense either!

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
From a fellow ex-British car owner (MG Midget, and MGB) congrats. Good friend here has a AH 3000 and it has never been restored. Not the original owner but runs and looks good. Helped him rehang his tailpipes last year when a hanger gave up the ghost.

Enjoy those Lucas electrics.....

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Nice car. If you bump that to 185 HP, it'll be a handful!

mal

Heritage GT Owner
Nov 23, 2012
London/Kent, UK
Nice car - the 2 seater BN7 is pretty rare. I have owned this 1961 BT7 since 1984 and it is a great car that I will never sell. For the person who mentioned needing a mechanic on speed dial - if it is a well looked after car then that is complete rubbish. Mine has failed to proceed about 4 times in 29 years and if they do have issues they are usually pretty simple to fix.

If you want more power you can get pretty close to 185 bhp with a set of 2" carbs a LCB exhaust with larger pipe and a new camshaft - and they are not a handful as long as you have good tyres and brakes. Mine also has an electronic ignition fitted to avoid the electric problems

June 2011 061 (Medium).JPGJune 2011 062 (Medium).JPG

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Purists: Don't read this.

A few years back, a friend of mine stuffed a duel 4-bbl equipped 327 SBC and 4-spd into a 3000. I don't recall what 3rd member he chose though...'narrowed 10 or 12 bolt, I think.

Traction? What traction? (Today's tires sure would have made a difference!)

S-C-A-R-Y.

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I should mention this is by no means my first British sports car. I've owned a Triumph TR6 and a GT6 among others. A well sorted out Austin should hold together fine. On the other hand I've seen what happens when one is not well sorted out. The GT6 I had showed me how truly lucky I was. Pulling into my driveway years ago the left front steering trunnion came apart. Basically that separates the top from the bottom A-arm. So the left front dropped to the ground. Hmmm, this would have been bad at speed. But these cars can nearly always be fixed on the side of the road if necessary. Certainly don't have to worry about my engine controller being hacked into. :rofl

Thanks for all the complements guys.

John

Last edited:

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Purists: Don't read this.

A few years back, a friend of mine stuffed a duel 4-bbl equipped 327 SBC and 4-spd into a 3000. I don't recall what 3rd member he chose though...'narrowed 10 or 12 bolt, I think.

Traction? What traction? (Today's tires sure would have made a difference!)

S-C-A-R-Y.
To you, it wouldn't have made a difference, traction only comes into play when the car is moving!!!!