06 GT pops out of 3rdgear under accelerating?

Pettyfan43

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2022
Patterson Ca.
Having issues with shifter popping out of 3rd gear under acceleration

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
That’s unusual. How many miles? When was the transaxle fluid last changed? Does the shifter feel like it isn’t going all the way into any gears?

Pettyfan43

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2022
Patterson Ca.
6000 miles now fluid changed at 5000 miles, seems to be all the way in gear not happening all the time seems to be when under hard acceleration only been keeping pressure on it between 3-4th lately thanks for the response

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
With only 6000 miles, it shouldn’t be a wear problem. Let’s see if Nota4re or one of the guys who services them replies.

One more question: does it have any tendency to pop out of 3rd gear when decelerating?

Pettyfan43

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2022
Patterson Ca.
Not a problem at deceleration thanks

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Original shifter or short throw shifter?

Pettyfan43

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2022
Patterson Ca.
Original shifter yes

Have you checked shifter adjustment using the factory alignment tool?

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
That sounds like an alignment tool worth having.

That sounds like an alignment tool worth having.
It is! The part number is apparently OTC 308-602 (printed on the tool itself, which is black plastic. Also says "Made in USA"). I got it on ebay a few years ago and have used it once to check shifting. Also written on the bag is "Rare set rotunda Ford GT tools from dealership". An on line search using that number pops up here: https://www.freedomracing.com/gearshift-lever-aligner-308-602.html and also on ebay and elsewhere.

Reactions: 2112

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Thank you Vincent!

Pettyfan43

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2022
Patterson Ca.
Great thanks so much I’ll add that to the tool box and check the alignment

Pettyfan43

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2022
Patterson Ca.
2112 are you going to Mecum Indy in a couple weeks?

Pettyfan43

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2022
Patterson Ca.
Freedom racing was great tool on order only 1 more in stock get them soon great site they have thanks for your help Vincent998 much appreciated

Freedom racing was great tool on order only 1 more in stock get them soon great site they have thanks for your help Vincent998 much appreciated
You're most welcome, hope that solves your problem!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
2112 are you going to Mecum Indy in a couple weeks?

Nah, I gotta work.

Baby needs a new pair of shoes.............er Bridgestones.

Pettyfan43

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2022
Patterson Ca.
I hear you on the Bridgestones I ended up on Bills order list hopefully arriving soon my original 06 date code eagles at 5000 miles were done and I managed to score a pair of 09 date code Pirelli PZero Corsa probably not smart but at least drivable I’m liking the look of the 345/35/19 width is awesome

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    769.4 KB · Views: 7

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Unfortunately it's not likely to be a cable adjustment. But, obviously it would be best to check that first as it is pretty easy to do. Even without the centering tool, you can remove the airbox and get a better look at the transaxle linkage/cables. You can have someone sit in the car (engine off) while you look at the linkage/cables from the passenger side. Have the person inside perform several 2nd to 3rd shifts and make sure the cable length isn't hampering it from getting into 3rd. As I said, more than likely it is an internal issue (sorry!) - but check the cable first.

If not the cable, you might keep an eye out for anyone selling a transaxle. If I was in your shoes, I'd try to acquire a known-good transaxle and then have someone swap it in. That will give you some time to have the transaxle disassembled, diagnosed and fixed. Once good, you can sell one of them.

Pettyfan43

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2022
Patterson Ca.
Thanks for the information I’ll keep my fingers crossed I get lucky much appreciated

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I hear you on the Bridgestones I ended up on Bills order list hopefully arriving soon my original 06 date code eagles at 5000 miles were done and I managed to score a pair of 09 date code Pirelli PZero Corsa probably not smart but at least drivable I’m liking the look of the 345/35/19 width is awesome

I didn’t even know there was a Pirelli 345/35-19”.

I think @BMF here either has transaxles or services them. Might want to P/M him.