'05 AC dead

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
My '05 is suffering from no air conditioning. Everything lights up, but no cold air, in fact the air is basically the same as ambient temperature. It's not hot, and when I turn the knob to heat, that works fine, with the AC and Max AC turned on and lit up.

All the switches work correctly. I'm not sure if I'm suffering from a refrigerant problem, or something else. I'm going to check all the fuses that are related to the climate control system, but I think the fact that everything lights up points to a different issue... Maybe compressor, maybe refrigerant?

Has anyone had issues with the AC before? The car has 13,000 miles on it now, and it's never been anything less than ice cold on that AC unit up until last season. I took her out yesterday, and had to bring her back home.

Does anyone know where the refrigerant valves are located so I can show the guys at the AC shop where to connect to?

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Valves up front under the luggage tray. Remove it and valves are right there. You might just need a Freon recharge.

Reactions: 2112

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
That's what I'm hoping. But it went from ice cold to zero, well sitting idle in the garage on charge from November until now, which to me sounds like it might have a leak. However I am going to go this week and have them check the refrigerant levels every charge if If that's what it is! Thank you!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The GT has a low pressure switch so that when the charge level gets low, it won't even cycle on the compressor. As such, you could have been dropping pressure a tad each year and then finally fell below this threshold. I would recommend charging it. One of the most common places they will leak is at the high pressure connection at the compressor. There's a couple of o-rings you can replace and solve that. Note that the compressor is accessible from below with the mid-pan removed. It is approximately below the oil filter assembly.

Reactions: Nafod and 2112

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
Yesterday, when I took her out, I noticed that it didn't cycle... There was no change in sound or even a slight drop in RPM when I turned it on/off....I tried a few times, so you're probably right

I love this place! Thanks so much for the tip!

Reactions: extrap

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Ditto the other comments. If you have never had the AC system checked for refrigerant level, that's very likely the reason. Mine has not had refrigerant added in 17 years. Now that we have suddenly reached 90+ temps in the PNW, I expect it to stop working any minute now...

Unfortunately, I can't buy HFC-134 in the stores here any more to add it myself. I don't know if it's the feds or the state who is trying to force that out of use.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
I have an appointment booked for Friday. They're going to verify the charge level, and they will use a dye to try and identify any possible leaks in the system. He told me that they can replace the o-rings if needed.

These guys are one of two service centers that I work with, that I trust for work on all my cars. They've done quite a bit of work on my GT, so I'm pretty sure they will nail it down quickly!

I guess seeing as how this car is about 19 years old now, I'm going to start seeing shit breaking down, like rubber seals and the likes of. I already have an issue with the front lid opening by remote. Yesterday when I checked I could see why, because the latch is stiff. I sprayed lubricant everywhere in there and it's still not loose... Guessing I need to remove the latch and get to the cable, and spray lubricant down the cable.

Well, at least it's not like me, I can throw money at it and fix this shit. My body's breaking down the older I get, and that's shit that can't be fixed, just tolerated...lol

Thank you everyone for all the replies! I'll post back when I've got it fixed!

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Unfortunately, I can't buy HFC-134 in the stores here any more to add it myself. I don't know if it's the feds or the state who is trying to force that out of use.
It's the screwed up WA state. It is still available in the free states. Public use of illegal drugs becomes legal in the state on July 1, but the sale of R-134 is illegal.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Thanks Ed. You can run over to Idaho and buy it. I need to check in Oregon, but I'll guess it's restricted there too.

HNS

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2020
East Coast
Most likely low 134 level won’t activate the compressor. Once all is up and running also a good habit is to run the AC, needed or not, to self lubricate the compressor.

Reactions: jammer

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Ditto the other comments. If you have never had the AC system checked for refrigerant level, that's very likely the reason. Mine has not had refrigerant added in 17 years. Now that we have suddenly reached 90+ temps in the PNW, I expect it to stop working any minute now...

Probably the state, Pete.

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
a few years back, mine had intermittent cooling with the associated clicking sound as the above mentioned low pressure switch was cycling.
Took a considerable amount of Freon to get it back to spec.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
System only holds 18 ounces as I remember.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Yes, a good hint that your AC is getting low on refrigerant is increased cycling of the compressor, along with somewhat less cooling. At that point, it won't be long before it stops cycling completely, due to not enough refrigerant pressure to activate the low pressure switch.

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
STATEN ISLAND,NY/SEA GIRT,NJ
Seal leaks are common, especially if you don't run it monthly.

Joe

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I think the compressor power supply has a breaker? When I ran mine in the Big Bend road Race a few years ago the A/C stopped blowing cold halfway through the race. I had to disconnect the battery for some reason and when I reconnected it everything was back to normal. It's worth a try!l