washing and detailing ford gt

4RD GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 7, 2006
AZ
Is it ok to wash the gt at a high end drive-thru wash? was wondering if water gets into the engine compartment or front end? or side vents? does it create more of a mess than one needs....thanks

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Do not do it, low pressure hose is only way

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Answer: Yes you probably could but why? It's an open vented clamshell....

To each his own but.... I only wash the gal once a year, clay bar her then as a labor of love follow up with 10+ coats of Zaino in the early spring and nothing but Z-5 or Z-18 after that till next year....

If she has to be damped wash it's quick and by hand with a hose on moderate pressure usually followed by a two hr. drying process. Maybe because it's a black car that I treat her like that (shows every bloody thing!).

Why do I do this - it's keep me away from my spouse! I always wondered why my dad and grandpa spent half their summer watering the grass by hand :rofl Now I know why! Honey - I'm just joking!

I can't see driving a FGT through a car wash but to each his own.... Make sure that the belly pans don't drag and that if the car goes sideways due to water and soap on the floor you don't hit the damn machine... Afterwords plan a lot of time for drying the engine compartment, door jambs, around and under the hood...

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
Is it ok to wash the gt at a high end drive-thru wash? was wondering if water gets into the engine compartment or front end? or side vents? does it create more of a mess than one needs....thanks

It's a tough subject without seeing the car wash or visiting it first, as there are many neglected car washes and few that are taken care of. My answer will always be, if you really care about the vehicle, wash it yourself. This way you're in control of what happens, and you also are not worrying about someone not knowing how to use the clutch, someone opening the door too wide [into a post], and an employee not using the same rag on your paint that he just picked up off the ground. If this stuff worries you, do yourself a favor and save the headache of needing to get the clear coat repaired and wash it yourself.

I've been to a ton of car washes, to test the durability of my waxing application and the wax quality, and just to wash my personal daily driven truck since I don't care too much about it's appearance like I do my weekend vehicle. There is much to be said about the appearance of the facility, marketing, referrals, etc.. but when it all comes down to it there are only a few things that matter:

A) How many cars were in the wash before you that day
B) How well the business maintains and cleans their equipment
C) The one or two people drying your car at the end of the line

If you must proceed with a facility, go at the beginning of the day. Before the morning rush. Chances are your vehicle will be safer than in the afternoon when many people have already washed their car, and bear in mind VERY FEW car washes hose off or clean their equipment in the middle of the day, or ever for that matter.

Since the above variables are difficult and almost impossible to control or predict, I suggest washing it yourself. Also, since you are in Arizona you need to consider geographically the type of sediment that ends up on everyone's paint because it will be brought onto the car wash mops and brushes. In Arizona, we're talking dust from rocks and gravel. More so than we would be, say, in Chicago - Where we're looking at the normal things like exhaust emissions, industrial fallout, brake dust, etc... Although your vehicle in Arizona faces the same contaminants as Chicago, you will see gravel rock dust more than we would from being in the desert. That same gravel sediment will end up on the mops and brushes in the car wash, and will be rubbed into your paint the entire time.

I could go on and on about this one, but I'm always going to refer you to wash it yourself if it is something you are concerned about.

Coincidentally, I can assist you...I have an article written on the proper hand wash (Featuring Kirby's Ford GTX1) here:

http://www.jasonsautospa.com/wash/

and if you are interested in the supplies used, I can sell them to you here:

http://www.jasonsautospa.com/supplies.html

The article was not authored to sell products, it is truly how I feel any vehicle should be washed. When I wrote the article I didn't even sell the wash mitts and foam gun. I began selling based on E-mails requesting the supplies, and my pricing is the lowest I have seen to boot.

Jason :cheers

4RD GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 7, 2006
AZ
thanks everyone.....time to roll up the sleeves and start washing!

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Very wise decision ... It might help if you dry it using a 200+MPH leaf blower (available almost any where), gets all the water out of the hard to reach areas and just Chami the left over, done under 10 minutes :cheers

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Well you can always pay a local and highly recommended detailer that comes to your hosue to do it . Every city has one (or more).

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I participated in a full day Meguiar's wax and detail clinic, which they host free for car clubs at their Irvine Headquarters. I attended with the Porsche club. There was a 996 Carerra there, and that owner had continuously used a drive through car wash, even that day. Well, the goal was to find the worst condition paint, and out of 20+ cars there and he won. There were swirl marks everywhere, it looked awful.

I would not do it.

With a dual action polisher, we were able to get the marks out. Amazing really. But it's easier to just not do it.

The GT is not difficult to hand wash. Waxing is tougher though, all the edges on the front hood, and vents, etc.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
The owners manual also states ' Do not use a commercial car wash'
AJB

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I am actually washing my GT for the first time this weekend.

Any tips on wash solution?

I was going to use a new wah mitt or a couple of microfibre towels and air dry with a drive.

Its mostly bug hits and some exhaust dust around rear fascia.

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
Very wise decision ... It might help if you dry it using a 200+MPH leaf blower (available almost any where), gets all the water out of the hard to reach areas and just Chami the left over, done under 10 minutes :cheers

I like the soft medical grade silicone rubber "California Water Blade" for removing 90% of the rince water beads from the panel surfaces, followed by final drying with 100% cotton towels that have gone through two rince cycles (and NO fabric softener as it leaves a greasy residue on the towel fibres). California Water Blades are available at many on-line and auto accessory catalogues. usmcfred

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If you are not going to re-wax, pick up some neutral soap solution. Find stuff at AutoZone. You should check out the Zainobros website for some good pointers. Jason the autospa king has been a great help on this as well. Read some of his posts. No dishwashing soap unless you re-wax.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I don't know what the auto wash/drive through wash machines are like in the USA but in the UK you would NEVER under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES use one!!

They use rotating nylon brushes which will ruin your paintwork.

As a rule of thumb:

1. Always personally wash your valuable cars or use a professional detailer.
2. Don't use a sponge (they trap grit) - use a wash mit or similar
3. Don't use a high pressure hose on the GT - hose pipe modest flow.
4. Dry with chamois leather or micofiber towels (or leaf blower - although I've never tried this).
5. Don't use anything other than soap and water on your wheels - no creams, no mild acids.

These are just my personal suggestions and my cars are always described as being in beautiful, swirl free condition!

Bugs and stuff should come off (gently) with either soap and water, or, if they're really baked on, try the regular 'Autoglym' super resin wax - whilst I wouldn't a whole car in Autoglym (current favourite is Zaino), the Autoglym is very good for gently removing bugs. Never use anything that cuts the paintwork.....

Hope this helps, there are a thousand different views on how to do it, but for Pete's sake don't put your GT in drive through - it would be criminal!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I don't know what the auto wash/drive through wash machines are like in the USA but in the UK you would NEVER under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES use one!!

They use rotating nylon brushes which will ruin your paintwork.

As a rule of thumb:

1. Always personally wash your valuable cars or use a professional detailer.
2. Don't use a sponge (they trap grit) - use a wash mit or similar
3. Don't use a high pressure hose on the GT - hose pipe modest flow.
4. Dry with chamois leather or micofiber towels (or leaf blower - although I've never tried this).
5. Don't use anything other than soap and water on your wheels - no creams, no mild acids.

These are just my personal suggestions and my cars are always described as being in beautiful, swirl free condition!

Bugs and stuff should come off (gently) with either soap and water, or, if they're really baked on, try the regular 'Autoglym' super resin wax - whilst I wouldn't a whole car in Autoglym (current favourite is Zaino), the Autoglym is very good for gently removing bugs. Never use anything that cuts the paintwork.....

Hope this helps, there are a thousand different views on how to do it, but for Pete's sake don't put your GT in drive through - it would be criminal!

Neil, you sound like Jason's long last twin brother....
How about keeping the old Leica away from the hose,... and me?:biggrin:lol:biggrin

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
The Leica's all dried out now!

Talking of which...... did any of the photo's of Holly & Harry turn out well from that day? They were very excited and up to their usual fun and games - I was curious if that was reflected in the photos.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Hi!
I thought i posted the link to the pics. Email me your mailing address. I will print out the pics. Got some nice ones of your family! :)
Cheers,
Daniel

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
I am actually washing my GT for the first time this weekend.

Any tips on wash solution?

I was going to use a new wah mitt or a couple of microfibre towels and air dry with a drive.

Its mostly bug hits and some exhaust dust around rear fascia.

I use distilled water - no water spots then in the hard to reach places. I use a sand blaster with the tube in the jug - gives me the wash and rinse power without being too much. Takes about 10 gallons, but still cheaper than going to have it done.

George Thomas

GT Owner
Aug 14, 2006
Santa Monica
Never, I repeat, never let anybody wash your gt! I use a low pressure and selectively wet areas on the car. I was with detergent continuously using low pressure to rinse away detergent. I an careful of ducts and deposits. I dry with carwash rags and quickly mopup any water in the engine compartment that made it through. Car is COLD and left in neutral on a level surface to allow manual rotation to get all areas of the wheel.

Car is driven to temp and dried again with particular attention to the rust debis in the wheels. Sorry, haven't had to vacuum yet.