Need to remove light scratchs (need help)

GERMANORACING

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Farmington CT USA
Desperate need of help. White/Blue GT
I got caught in a rain shower a few nights ago . I never thought about wiping the car down when I got home (it was late) So I washed and wax the car the next morning (1st time I washed this car). While I was waxing I noticed water spots, so I decided to wax away the spots, I tried all different kinds of waxes, that did'nt work.
BUT what did happed was I got light scratches on the Blue stripes and the more I try to wax them away the more scratches I get .. I just realize the stripes may be of a different paint finish ...
WHAT DO I DO! :confused I NEED HELP! :frown

THANKS

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Desperate need of help. White/Blue GT
I got caught in a rain shower a few nights ago . I never thought about wiping the car down when I got home (it was late) So I washed and wax the car the next morning (1st time I washed this car). While I was waxing I noticed water spots, so I decided to wax away the spots, I tried all different kinds of waxes, that did'nt work.
BUT what did happed was I got light scratches on the Blue stripes and the more I try to wax them away the more scratches I get .. I just realize the stripes may be of a different paint finish ...
WHAT DO I DO! :confused I NEED HELP! :frown

THANKS

Not to panic.
Getcher self a random orbital buffer (like Griot's Garage's unit) and some very mild rubbing ("cutting") compound (again, such a Griot's Garage's machine polish #3) and go over the area in a left/right ... top/bottom pattern for a few moments. The scratches will go bye-bye.

GERMANORACING

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Farmington CT USA
Thank you, I will do that....
Now I can sleep tonight.

Thanks again

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Thank you, I will do that....
Now I can sleep tonight.

Thanks again

You betcha. No biggie...

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
I wouldn't use rubbing compound its to abrasive, use polishing compound or if the scratches are light there is something I found out about several years ago and that is mothers wheel polish is great for taking scratchs out of paint, its the white paste that comes in a small round container and it can and should be used by hand and then use some 3m hand glaze to finish it off. I guarantee if you start using compound and a buffer you will mess your paint up if your not experienced.

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Where can i get a unit like that

I have used a light mcguires swirl remover.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I wouldn't use rubbing compound its to abrasive, use polishing compound or if the scratches are light there is something I found out about several years ago and that is mothers wheel polish is great for taking scratchs out of paint, its the white paste that comes in a small round container and it can and should be used by hand and then use some 3m hand glaze to finish it off. I guarantee if you start using compound and a buffer you will mess your paint up if your not experienced.

Not if one uses Griot's Garage machine polish #3 and their 'buffer, Jamie. Really. I've used that combo on my blue/white a dozen times w/o a pblm (to remove surface scratches caused by IDIOTS contacting the fenders as they waddled by).

(And, no, I don't have any interest in that company. I just know from personal experience their stuff works as I said it does.)

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Just Google Griot's Garage and order one, GFORCE. (I imagine its griotsgarage.com ... but, I don't remember their exact web contact info.)

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Your scratches are in the clear coat, not in the paint, by the hostory you give. Another option are the following compounds and polisher:

Meguiar's Dual Action Polisher
Meguiar's Clay bar
Meguiar's #83 dimishing abrasive polish
Meguiar's #80 polish
Meguiar's #9 Deep Crystal Polish
Meguiar's NXT Wax
Microfiber polishing and drying towels.

Never dry a car or remove any compound without using a microfiber towel!

Clay with a detailer spray will level the scratches, Using a yellow 6 or 8 inch polishing pad, # 83 with diminishing abrasives will remove most scratches and swirls. Follow with #80 light application and then wipe off before it drys. Finish with #9 deep crystal polish and then NXT wax. Use the yellow pads to apply #83 and #80, the pink pads for #9 and the NXT wax. Dual Action Polisher is the best instrument@!@!

probably find all this stuff at meguiars.com

There is also an extensive Meguair's web site will all the answers on your detailing. Other option is to find a good detailer and just have him do it.

Last edited:

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
Your best bet is to go to an autobody shop. By the time you buy all the different tools and compounds to do the job you will spend more than to pay to have it done. I am lucky a good friend of mine is a body man and I have seen the process done many times, and the hobby equipment just don't match the professional stuff.:thumbsup Good luck

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Your scratches are in the clear coat, not in the paint, by the hostory you give. Another option are the following compounds and polisher:

Meguiar's Dual Action Polisher
Meguiar's Clay bar
Meguiar's #83 dimishing abrasive polish
Meguiar's #80 polish
Meguiar's #9 Deep Crystal Polish
Meguiar's NXT Wax
Microfiber polishing and drying towels.

Never dry a car or remove any compound without using a microfiber towel!

Clay with a detailer spray will level the scratches, Using a yellow 6 or 8 inch polishing pad, # 83 with diminishing abrasives will remove most scratches and swirls. Follow with #80 light application and then wipe off before it drys. Finish with #9 deep crystal polish and then NXT wax. Use the yellow pads to apply #83 and #80, the pink pads for #9 and the NXT wax. Dual Action Polisher is the best instrument@!@!

probably find all this stuff at meguiars.com

There is also an extensive Meguair's web site will all the answers on your detailing. Other option is to find a good detailer and just have him do it.

Good stuff. I'm a Mequair's fan also. I have had good luck on minor swirl marks just using #80 w yellow pad.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
todd is right, take it to a detail shop

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
FlorIdaho Chris,

I was sold on Meguiar's waxes until I used some Buttery Wax from Adam's Polish. Amazing stuff and looks better and deeper than Meguiar's. Check it out on the internet > google

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I think you should try the clay and a good waxing system. I always used MeGuires stuff till I got my GT, and now, upon recommendation by many forum members, I tried Zaino and it's really great. For $100 you get the complete kit. Go to Zaino.com, I think. Hey, if that doesn't work, then go to a good detail shop that deals with high cars (cost about $250).

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
My 2 Cents

Take it to a professional detailer .............. but then again I'm feeling very lazy today.

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
I think you should try the clay and a good waxing system. I always used MeGuires stuff till I got my GT, and now, upon recommendation by many forum members, I tried Zaino and it's really great. For $100 you get the complete kit. Go to Zaino.com, I think. Hey, if that doesn't work, then go to a good detail shop that deals with high cars (cost about $250).

The clay is to get dirt out of the paint not scratches:thumbsup

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
best guy in the land

I tell you guys this guy is good and not crazy expensive.
Grab a dozen or so guys book a few days and he comes to you sets up and for 200 to 400 depending on the service you want he will clear coat restore.

Go to this thank you link he put up after doing around 2o cars at my shop last week.

Scroll down the photos to about the middle you will see where I tried (I like you guys know how to detail my car :ack ) Same senario. You will see the hood/trunk what ever you call it area he taped off and the before after photos.:thumbsup
Jason is a great guy and will mostly likey help you with suggestions or tell you what to do if you ask.

Here is the link show a bunch but my GT is about the middle photo.
http://www.jasonsautospa.com/

Get Derry and a few others in your area, they don't all need to be GT's.

Tom

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
Hey Guys,

My name is Jason Gauer...I'm the guy that Tom ^^^ is talking about :wink

For the water spots, use a diluted Vinegar/Water solution (4:10 Vinegar/Water) it will take them all off, safely, and not harm your clear coat.

For the light scratches - Someone will have to refresh my memory if the GT stripes are vinyl or if they are actual paint, sprayed over with clear coat? Vinyl stripes would are tricky, but if they have a clear coat over them it is easy as pie. Vinyl or clear coat? someone fill me in...

You have nothing to worry about :thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Hey Guys,

My name is Jason Gauer...I'm the guy that Tom ^^^ is talking about :wink

For the water spots, use a diluted Vinegar/Water solution (4:10 Vinegar/Water) it will take them all off, safely, and not harm your clear coat.

For the light scratches - Someone will have to refresh my memory if the GT stripes are vinyl or if they are actual paint, sprayed over with clear coat? Vinyl stripes would are tricky, but if they have a clear coat over them it is easy as pie. Vinyl or clear coat? someone fill me in...

You have nothing to worry about :thumbsup

Hey, Jason!!!!! Lemme know whenever you plan to be out in the Pacific Northwest/Seattle area!!!

('Stripes on the TOP of the car are painted on - and I assume clear coated with the rest of the paint ...'side stripes are vinyl...or least SOME kind of tape.)

'Pockets

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
Hey, Jason!!!!! Lemme know whenever you plan to be out in the Pacific Northwest/Seattle area!!!

('Stripes on the TOP of the car are painted on - and I assume clear coated with the rest of the paint ...'side stripes are vinyl...or least SOME kind of tape.)

'Pockets
I received a request to go to Washington D.C. to detail a Z06 and a GT about a week ago. I'm keeping track :thumbsup Thank you!

I sent a PM to Sal (GERMANORACING) tonight to inquire about the situation. It would help if I saw some pictures in direct light, as any advice I give would be blind. Reading over the thread I saw some good suggestions as well, so I don't mean to step on anyone's toes here. Sal will decide what he wants to do, and I already PM'd him my cell phone number if he has any questions...