The Price of XPEL

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
That is a crazy price: I had my 2019 GT full-wrapped including clearplex on the windshield for $6K, and got a full wrap on my 2020 GT500 for $6K including a black vinyl roof

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
It’s important to do the paint correction first
I just did a full Xpel on a 63 E type
Cost me 10k with paint correction and ceramic coating

Attachments

• IMG_2068.jpeg
    IMG_2068.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2092.jpeg
    IMG_2092.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2191.jpeg
    IMG_2191.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 23

saleenrose

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2013
Peeled this ugly crap off my car when I got it. Always has that blurred look, turned yellow, has dirty edges, many things a car with 600 miles and had not been outside should not have. I love the clean car look without this stuff. Also, if you don't drive it, you can fix lots of "Rock" chips for the cost of install and removal.

Reactions: Fast Freddy

Bbhaynes

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 8, 2021
Madison, MS
Peeled this ugly crap off my car when I got it. Always has that blurred look, turned yellow, has dirty edges, many things a car with 600 miles and had not been outside should not have. I love the clean car look without this stuff. Also, if you don't drive it, you can fix lots of "Rock" chips for the cost of install and removal.
Had mine done with only 2000 miles on the car. Guy did a great job and you can hardly even tell it’s on there. And black is suppose to be the hardest color to do bc it shows everything!

https://flic.kr/p/2oyF41h
https://flic.kr/p/2oyEGEj
https://flic.kr/p/2oyF3uH

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
15K is way out of line. 8-10K tops. Look for another shop. We have some of the best in the business here in Scottsdale who will wrap an '06 GT for 8K.

Chip

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Had mine done with only 2000 miles on the car. Guy did a great job and you can hardly even tell it’s on there. And black is suppose to be the hardest color to do bc it shows everything!

https://flic.kr/p/2oyF41h
https://flic.kr/p/2oyEGEj
https://flic.kr/p/2oyF3uH
Looks great!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I did my black /orange vantage. Came out amazing!

Attachments

• IMG_1272.jpeg
    IMG_1272.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
Reactions: Hydra GT

Idigmywork

GT Owner
May 20, 2023
Boston MA
$8500 in the Boston area

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
If the cost to wrap exceeds the cost to repaint you are crazy. Wraps look like shit to me even clear ones. When I see a car that has been wrapped I think ghetto and broke...

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I agree that wraps are overpriced but they are nothing compared to paint.

onepunch

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2023
Will at Ceramic Pros in Sarasota quoted me right around 7k.......

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
If the cost to wrap exceeds the cost to repaint you are crazy. Wraps look like shit to me even clear ones. When I see a car that has been wrapped I think ghetto and broke...

A few people on this thread now have mentioned the term “wrap”. The discussion is about PPF (clear paint protection film), not wraps, which usually refers to a vinyl wrap (typically an opaque color change project), just in case some don’t realize those terms mean different things. I agree that wraps usually look like a cheap shortcut to a different look, while PPF done correctly is essentially undetectable unless you go hunting for edges.

Last edited:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Agree on merits of very well done PPF.
For my cars, I have them 'wrap the edges' - meaning cut patterns a little larger so edges tuck under and are wrapped (ie not visible).
When done very well, it makes it almost impossible for me to tell which panels are wrapped and which aren't (when I don't do the entire car).

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Any chance that ppf installation does more damage?

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Any chance that ppf installation does more damage?

Only if a low-quality installer tries to cut the film on the car and cuts into the paint, or rarely, when the film is removed (typically, within 10 years or so) and areas of paint with suboptimal adhesion come off with the PPF. This is why it is important to 1) let fresh paint and clearcoat "cure" for several weeks before applying PPF, and 2) change out your PPF within 10 years (give or take).

Reactions: 2112 and jaxgt

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
Plus when the film is removed you need to use steam to soften the adhesive. Takes a little longer but you do not pull paint this way.

The biggest chance of damage is the installer using a razor on the film and cutting your paint. I have had to call several people and tell them their car was cut when the film was installed and I was replacing a section of their film someone else has installed.

Using a razor is the quickest and cheapest way to install film for the installer. If they know what they are doing can do a great job. You need to find out how long the person has been installing film and if they will be using a razor on your car.

Redfire03

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2020
Denver, CO
Had mine redone with new graphics for around 8k. This was all custom cut film with 100% coverage and all edges tucked. Film is all ceramic coated as well.
Be 100% that you are choosing the right installer/shop. Ask to see customer cars (my installer frequently uses me as a reference). PPF/detailing is the new window tint, everyone knows someone who does it better and cheaper - only way to really know is to see their work and get feedback from actual customers where the film has been installed for a while.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Any recs in Scottsdale?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Any recs in Scottsdale?
Try to pm chip

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
That seems really high. I had one of the best shops in the country ( Luxe Auto) do my FGT in Xpel Stealth and I believe it was under $7k 289443376_414935267314307_3585380882830266031_n.jpg