Sold my 2005 GT

Dan S.

Oct 7, 2020
After 2 years and over 9000 miles I came to the sad conclusion that it was time to sell my car. For what it sold for, I basically got to drive the car for free (less insurance and gas).

Great car, lot's of fun, but just getting concerned about values going down (IMHO), lack of parts and what parts there are seemingly getting more pricey.

Will keep monitoring the forum and if I see things changing I wouldn't hesitate to jump back in.

Great forum and have made some great contacts.

So now I have some extra $$$ in my pocket and extra floor space in my storage unit/man cave - dangerous position for me to be in.
The good news is I can't think of anything I want in this price range that would top the GT :).

Dan Stryffeler
Marblehead Ohio

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
you'll be back. they all come back or sorry they didn't!! lol

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Z-06, Still have money left over. Buy 2. Good luck getting one. Think they are sold out for '22.

Ford true-and-true, but C8 in any form is greatest performance for buck going. IMO

Good luck scratching your itch and finding another car to keep you busy, but I wouldn't count on getting out for "free" on anything else.

Anderson

GT Owner
May 8, 2021
San Diego & FL
After 2 years and over 9000 miles I came to the sad conclusion that it was time to sell my car. For what it sold for, I basically got to drive the car for free (less insurance and gas).

Great car, lot's of fun, but just getting concerned about values going down (IMHO), lack of parts and what parts there are seemingly getting more pricey.

Will keep monitoring the forum and if I see things changing I wouldn't hesitate to jump back in.

Great forum and have made some great contacts.

So now I have some extra $$$ in my pocket and extra floor space in my storage unit/man cave - dangerous position for me to be in.
The good news is I can't think of anything I want in this price range that would top the GT :).

Dan Stryffeler
Marblehead Ohio
Parts pricing and availability are my primary concerns on an otherwise excellent car. Things like the windshield trim / door seals costing over a thousand dollars, headlights, taillights, etc. I take mine out for short drives all the time but I think if parts weren’t much of a concern people would probably drive them more. Such a beautiful car deserves to be seen!

Reactions: Stef

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Z-06, Still have money left over. Buy 2. Good luck getting one. Think they are sold out for '22.

Ford true-and-true, but C8 in any form is greatest performance for buck going. IMO

Good luck scratching your itch and finding another car to keep you busy, but I wouldn't count on getting out for "free" on anything else.

The Z06 will have a great engine but damn the C8 is a butt-ugly car.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
There is nothing I want more than an 06 and 2019 GT! Sure I could sell them and make money. But like the not so well know member
says,what would I buy?
I think I’ll just hang on to my GT’s and be a happy guy! Words to live by…..

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
"Butt ugly" may be a bit harsh, but certainly sub-optimal.

From the side, kind of generic supercar, but OK. Problem is, front and rear still look like a Corvette. Probably a constraint the designers were under so that they didn't run the risk of totally alienating existing Corvette owner client base. Maybe over time it will improve and get more of its own identity.

Still, if I could get one, I could probably live with it. I'd feel a lot more comfortable risking that car on a track or in a parking lot than my two GTs.

Just saying.

Reactions: dshears

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
Difficulty of finding parts and their high cost when/if found doesn't seem to have held the 300SL Gullwing or Roadster values. I'm on the Gullwing Group and those guys are always driving and enjoying their cars while their valuation keeps going higher.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Old vintage classics, parts can be duplicated usually one way or another, or sourced out since many items used on other models (how many vintage Ferrari had parts were common with fiats and alfas of same vintage, been there done that!).New cars, how long will the “ chips” and electronics be available ? ( and someone to fix them!) can you imagine trying to source out headlamp assembly on NFGT? Hopefully Ford keeps supporting them!
I had a Z8, BMW promised? To support parts for 50yrs. Rear lights are neon, expire at a certain point. Original supplier no longer exist. They had them produced from another source.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Old vintage classics, parts can be duplicated usually one way or another, or sourced out since many items used on other models (how many vintage Ferrari had parts were common with fiats and alfas of same vintage, been there done that!).New cars, how long will the “ chips” and electronics be available ? ( and someone to fix them!) can you imagine trying to source out headlamp assembly on NFGT? Hopefully Ford keeps supporting them!
I had a Z8, BMW promised? To support parts for 50yrs. Rear lights are neon, expire at a certain point. Original supplier no longer exist. They had them produced from another source.
I already have a new spare set of NFGT lights in my inventory!

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Smart, prices will go up, right now better than the stock market!!

Dan S.

Oct 7, 2020
NorthwoodGT was right, (see older post in this thread) "they all come back"... after selling my 2005 GT in 2022, I'm looking to get back into ownership.

Did the Corvette C8 (used), traded that in on a Shelby CSX9000 Daytona Coupe, sold the coupe and have a 2024 C8 on order.

Looking for a high(ish) mileage car, not worried about some road rash or interior wear and tear.

Any leads would be appreciated

Dan

Reactions: JWZ and drilling

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Its an addicting car. Nothing like it under 1M.

Reactions: Ed Sims

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I often think about how much the reproduction parts market has grown just in my lifetime (of 43 years). It started with JC Whitney and Dennis Kirk and has evolved all the way to China re-pops, eBay, LMC and Dennis Carpenter. Some of the evolution has been cheap and poor quality while others are manufactured licensed. I believe the aftermarket world will always provide sources for even the most obscure hardware and software given there is demand. I’m also confident one day they’ll be a replicator (from Star Trek) sitting in my workshop where I can say: Computer, left headlight assembly Ford GT, and one will appear before my eyes!

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Looking for a high(ish) mileage car, not worried about some road rash or interior wear and tear.

Any leads would be appreciated

Dan
What are your limits in terms of miles, mods, colors, and stories (salvage ok, 1 moderate accident, etc)?

Dan S.

Oct 7, 2020
Not too concerned about miles if service records are provided, keep mods to a minimum, colors in no particular order; white, red, blue but open to anything.
Don't need an "optioned" car; actually prefer stock wheels... never considered a salvage car (title issues in Ohio?) - moderate accident but professionally fixed ok.

So... just looking to get back into the driving experience.

Thanks!

HNS

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2020
East Coast
What are your limits in terms of miles, mods, colors, and stories (salvage ok, 1 moderate accident, etc)?
Road rash? Sounds like my ex 🤣

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
DM sent

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California

Agree!

If I had a Dog with a face like that, I'd shave his a$$ and make'em walk backwards.

Reactions: drilling