Interesting GT thread on Viper site

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
I'm just kidding around. This site is practically FordGTViperforum.com. :lol

I myself think the 08 Viper is awesome and whittle away nights mulling if an SRT is in my future. It's not like I'm insulting the Viper at all. I'd guess maybe 35% of this site currently owns an SRT or Gen II, and I'm just going based on the observations of those who own both. It's not like the 08 is a fundamental change in the Viper recipe. Two very different cars with very different characteristics, and anyone who has driven both can tell you that it manifests in ways beyond quantitative mag data...

A very eloquent statement… but you’re still giving it to 'em over there on the Viper site! We’re so proud of you!

Rob

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Met a model (26) last week; she knew the GT cold and did a shoot for Saleen. Have pic if needed.

Don't be silly.

I mean - that is a silly question. Of course they are needed.:biggrin

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
Well..let me put it this way. All of my current Vipers would be sold before any of my FGT's are parted with. Have had Vipers since '92...over 50 as Dave has stated, and still have what I think is the #1 Viper collection in the Country. (don't know about the City though). Will be getting a Snakeskin Green and Purple '08. LONG LIVE AMERICAN MUSCLE!!....but especially the GT.

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Lamboman....your name should just be The Man

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
...would be sold before any of my FGT's are parted with. LONG LIVE AMERICAN MUSCLE!!....but especially the GT.

I take it you've joined the multiple GT club?

Agreed :cheers

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
I take it you've joined the multiple GT club?

Agreed :cheers

LOL. Well..last year I was multiple...but then down to the Yellow. Back to multiple. One to show and one to go...and one to....whatever.

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
This is why I love this forum. Open dialog and lots of opinions. I own both and I think that the GT beats the Viper in every category, hands down! But great thread. PD

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Ripper 02's Viper run the 1/4 mile in the 8's and Hennesey's car has the top speed in the standing mile of 218. I'm impressed.

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
<<still have what I think is the #1 Viper collection in the Country. (don't know about the City though). Will be getting a Snakeskin Green and Purple >>

lamboman,

Would you please let us fellow Viper and GT owners know what's in your Viper collection? Maybe a picture or two?:cheers

Ripper 02

Permanent Vacation
Aug 16, 2006
Texas
Love for both monsters that I currently posses....

Definintly agree with Lamboman the viper would go first before the GT.
And that's a pretty hard thing to do considering all the work-time-money
invested in that monster..
The cars are truly different in most respects.
The GT somewhat IMO makes my viper kinda feel "kit carish"
The GT is just soooo smooth.
It is certainly more raw. I do love the car and don't see myself
parting with it unless absolutly necessary...
The GT..... you could'nt steal it from me..... :D :D

Ripper 02

Permanent Vacation
Aug 16, 2006
Texas
You guy's dont mind a few viper pic's do you?????

Ripper_Pics_003_Large_.jpg

Ripper_Pics_009_Large_.jpg

Ripper_Pics_011_Large_.jpg

Ripper_Pics-02_029_Large_.jpg

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Viper does nothing for me (sorry lamboman, nothing personal). The early ones were hot, but for the past 5 years or so... they are becoming boring, even at 600 HP.

To those who say the Z06 guys have their panties in a wad over the new Viper; not quite... most of us know the Z handily beats the current Viper (see Jamie's posts, and Ranger's) and most of us in the know think the '06 Z will TIE the '08 Viper. Not bad for two years difference...

With respect to the Viper, or the GT, or anything else on a roadtrip, the Z is the best car in the world, hands down. It carries tons, and will destroy 99% of whatever one encounters - on the straights or in the twisties. End of Story.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
..and most of us in the know think the '06 Z will TIE the '08 Viper.

Know Think
Jumbo shrimp
Civil War
Kosher Ham

:lol

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
and most of us in the know think the '06 Z will TIE the '08 Viper.

For being in THE KNOW...you have missed out. 3 tests from different mags are already done, you just haven't seen the results yet. No tie either.....

Yeah I know..if another guy was driving the Z at another track on another day in another country......heard it all before. A loss is a loss...can't make it a win with spin.

Ok..no more Viper /Z stuff on this thread for me. But Mom...I didn't start it!! Long live American Muscle..including the Z06. Think I will go out and beat on mine for awhile.

Last edited:

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
You guy's dont mind a few viper pic's do you????

Great looking Viper Ripper 02. Love the color/stripe combo!! Wouldn't mind seeing an engine shot!! I'll show you mine first.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Great looking Viper Ripper 02. Love the color/stripe combo!! Wouldn't mind seeing an engine shot!!

That Viper is slow. I heard it only ran an 8.75...that's at an 8th mile track I assume? :confused :wink

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
To begin I offer the apology for the following ramblings of a fool.

I was very close to buying 2005 viper and I didn't. I took one out. I was enamoured by its power but was very lacking in refinement. The way the seats "grab" on to you is great. It was close but I couldn't do it. The gt was a no brainer.

The vette is the way to go if tracking or autocross is your priority. The others cannot match it in this respect. Cheaper to repair, maintain and find r rated tires for. It is built to be tracked out of the box with all its cooling devices, sump pump, multi pot break calipers which let you do endless laps in it. ENdless means without fear of breaking down. This thing is built for an endless day of abuse at the track. And a relaxed drive after on the way home. And if you break something you'll find some parts. Try that with a lamborghini and you will be very dissappointed.

Have you ever noticed that at least half of the magazines testing the Lambos find they inevitably break. I laughed when the marcielago in the latest evo (best car of the year) broke down. Before I even read the article I thought "I bet it breaks down". The gt needs some work to match the relaibiliy of a full day at the track compared to the vette but can still play very well at the track. But the looks of the gt is one of a kind! The viper lost its way.

THe original vipers were undeathdefyingly low and wide with an outrageous amount of horse power. For its time, its appearance could only have been extracted from the DNA of a cartoon sports car.( That is like todays GT). I loved it.

They should have left the looks at the point of astronomically outrageous. Pushed the horsepower and refined the chassi and interior quality. In refining the vehicle overall they ruined the essence of the next generation of the viper. Unfortunately they have continued down that road with the new viper. You either make it a gt or a vette.

Misdirected refinement also ruined the 430 modena. THe 355 was lower, wider and sexier. Impractile but horny.THe 360 was still great looking but you could see the trend to the 430 which frankly is a mechanical display of excellence but an exercise of a wind tunnel designing along with a practical design. Something an arthritic ravaged body can get in and out of and have a place to put its walker. Cars like original viper the pre 430 ferrari's and GT's are idolized for their seductively outrageous appearance which takes precidence over convenience and is topped off with a performance chassi and engine that makes anything else seem like a sniveling biproduct of genetic evolution gone wrong. That is what makes the GT such a great vehicle despite a few stupid washers and less than excellent bolts and both the vette and viper not!

Last edited:

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
I gave accolades to the viper to the POS Z but you Lamboman.....be the gt?.............You ARE the GT. Thanks for not bereaving me. I felt like a fool who forgot his medication........and there it was, my post.
Then again I have been known to show up in my GT at autocross ?!?!?!?
I must admit when I see a first gen viper (rt/10) go by with the targa top off I get stupid. It is that shape and how it almost looks like the car has melted from the heat over the course of the day and is ready to fufill its destiny and spread itself across the the rest of the pavement like the t-1000 from the terminator. To me a car not that tall is iconic. The 355 creates almost the same illusion but not quite. I wish they would have taken a few more liberties in the body of the 2008 model other than adding a bunch of louvers. None the less all those ponies, brake etc. at that price is an act of generosity by Dodge.

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
For being in THE KNOW...you have missed out. 3 tests from different mags are already done, you just haven't seen the results yet. No tie either.....

Yeah I know..if another guy was driving the Z at another track on another day in another country......heard it all before. A loss is a loss...can't make it a win with spin.

Ok..no more Viper /Z stuff on this thread for me. But Mom...I didn't start it!! Long live American Muscle..including the Z06. Think I will go out and beat on mine for awhile.
I Agree a Win is a Win same track,same day,same conditions,same drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
Canuck: "GT's are idolized for their seductively outrageous appearance which takes precidence over convenience and is topped off with a performance chassi and engine that makes anything else seem like a sniveling biproduct of genetic evolution gone wrong. That is what makes the GT such a great vehicle despite a few stupid washers and less that excellent bolts and both the vette and viper not!"

Love it.