2006 FGT bumper delete finally done

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Hey, congratulations on the build. Surely it wasn't easy, but Ryan absolutely called it, as the look is amazing.
How old is your Golden Retriever?

Thanks! Not the most complex job in the world by any means, but it did take longer than I thought it would. I could've slapped it all together as-is with the kit in less than half of the time, but then it would look like most of the other bumper-deletes I see out there, with horrible panel alignment.

Josie just turned 10!

what a great job. How nice to have the family help with the project too!

I always extra enjoy the photos in your posts, as you have such a wonderful collection in the background!

Thank you, Mitchell!

Great job. Car looks absolutely amazing and the attention to details from your side is super.

Now i’m thinking shall I do this or not. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks! My opinion is that certain colors, especially darker ones like midnight blue or black, look great with Rich's other kit which just fills in that space with additional black perforated metal screen like the rest of that area, and that would make the project infinitely more easy. No painting involved, easier to fit everything together without comparing painted panel alignment, etc. However, to my eye, on GTs that are lighter/brighter colored like red/white/yellow, that other style just makes it look like half the rear of the car is missing, and this CDC kit is the way to go. Again, my opinion.

Reactions: 2112

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Thanks! My opinion is that certain colors, especially darker ones like midnight blue or black, look great with Rich's other kit which just fills in that space with additional black perforated metal screen like the rest of that area, and that would make the project infinitely more easy. No painting involved, easier to fit everything together without comparing painted panel alignment, etc. However, to my eye, on GTs that are lighter/brighter colored like red/white/yellow, that other style just makes it look like half the rear of the car is missing, and this CDC kit is the way to go. Again, my opinion.

I have the GTG system. The dark color does help.

Kind of like 1967 GT500s. I love LeMans stripes on White, Brittany blue and Lime Gold cars, but do not like any over the top strips on the darker colors available.

Well, "kind of" being the operative phrase here. :cool:

Reactions: DakotaGT

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Nice Job and thanks for sharing.

I have many new rear bumper extrusions removed from chassis if anyone needs them.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 3

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
IMG_2883.JPG
Bumper delete is a must!!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Looks great!
Only problem I had with the CDC was the heat shielding wasn’t quite sufficient and the piece discolored a bit.
I ended up selling it and going with Rich’s bumper delete.
Add extra heat shielding

Reactions: DakotaGT and 2112

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Looks great!
Only problem I had with the CDC was the heat shielding wasn’t quite sufficient and the piece discolored a bit.
I ended up selling it and going with Rich’s bumper delete.
Add extra heat shielding

Thanks Ron! I will have to check with Rich and see if CDC addressed this issue over the years, because I certainly don't want to deal with that! It was a pretty beefy layer of heat shielding that they come with on the backside of that panel, but I will check with Rich and see if he recommends I take additional measures. I appreciate the heads-up!

Reactions: roketman

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Thanks Ron! I will have to check with Rich and see if CDC addressed this issue over the years, because I certainly don't want to deal with that! It was a pretty beefy layer of heat shielding that they come with on the backside of that panel, but I will check with Rich and see if he recommends I take additional measures. I appreciate the heads-up!
Rich is the Man!
Can’t say enough how great he is professionally and personally

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Rich is the Man!
Can’t say enough how great he is professionally and personally

I agree completely.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
If I delete my bumper, then how am I gonna mount my trailer hitch?

Reactions: 2112

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
If I delete my bumper, then how am I gonna mount my trailer hitch?
Ha! So silly! Just order the bumper delete trailer hitch.

Reactions: RPM217

Hydra GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2008
Delray Beach, FL
Really nice work and attention to the details! nicely done to perfection.

GT57

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2022
View attachment 66336
Bumper delete is a must!!
This looks fantastic.

Which exhaust tips are you using?

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
This looks fantastic.

Thank you! The exhaust is a piece that used to be sold through @nota4re, but is now out of production. The polished tips are part of the X-pipe. As mentioned in my write-up, I bought this piece second-hand through a forum member.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
This looks fantastic.

I used the Ford Racing muffler with the Borla CDC exhaust tips used with bumper delete

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Excellent job and great write-up. I have a CDC kit in the garage and I have just been too busy to install it. Your story is the encouragement I need! ;)

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
My biggest concern with the CDC kit is that so many photos I see of cars with this mod done have the most atrocious panel fitment, and I was determined to make mine look as good as possible.

I found that the filler panel brackets conflicted a bit with inside of the outermost rear fascia vents, and I was afraid that with movement of the car, it might bind and cause poor fitment after a while, so I came up with this idea to help "lock" everything together. I found some appropriately sized washers and cut them to this shape, and installed them in the lower fascia vent mounting holes, so the filler panel couldn't be moved any further rearward, and this seems to be working out rather well, I think.

View attachment 66323View attachment 66324View attachment 66325View attachment 66326
Well hallayuah!!! Congrats. Its about time. Ryan was right. This was the way the cars were supposed to be!!!

Reactions: 2112 and DakotaGT

06 fgt

GT Owner
Jul 20, 2022
arnold mo
I used the Ford Racing muffler with the Borla CDC exhaust tips used with bumper delete
do those tips come with the borla exhaust in the kit,or do you buy them seperate for the bumper delete?

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
do those tips come with the borla exhaust in the kit,or do you buy them seperate for the bumper delete?
they used to come with the kit. you probably should ask to make sure

06 fgt

GT Owner
Jul 20, 2022
arnold mo
ok thx