06 GT pops out of 3rdgear under accelerating?

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Personal experience. Started slipping a bit in 3rd gear and occasionally would pop out of 3rd gear. Big exception was that I had close to 100k on a Stillen clutch unit at that time. As we all know, clutch life time generally has nothing to do with GT mileage. Same can be said for rear tires. Very few Little old Ladies from Pasadena in this group.
Hopefully this is good news for this guy. A clutch will not cause a trans to pop out of gear. When they removed the trans to do the clutch your linkage must have been altered/adjusted/tightened if it's not popping out now. Fingers crossed
Syncros won't cause a trans to pop out of gear. They do nothing once it's in gear. They'll keep it from going in or allow a grind(2nd issue).
Popping out is caused by not going into gear completely. Linkage, blockage, forks on the easy side, to worn out energizer teeth on the slider and/or gear and excessive trans endplay.

Pettyfan43

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2022
Patterson Ca.
Plan on digging into it this weekend after a run to Monterey and back thanks for all the great information glad and fortunate to be apart of this group thanks

69b302

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2021
Upstate NY
I talked with HCF and Ron McCall about some possible trans work and both seemed very capable with the Ricardo transaxle. You mentioned fluid was recently changed, and was curious if any debris was found in the filters.

Reactions: Pettyfan43

Pettyfan43

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2022
Patterson Ca.
Fluid looked good just did the service when I bought it knowing I would be driving a lot. So we did a complete service so I would know what I had . The issue of coming out of 3rd gear is a random problem not every time I drive I’m really hoping it’s a simple adjustment but I do greatly appreciate all the help as a newbie here on the forum.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Are you positive you have the right fluid in it?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Are you positive you have the right fluid in it?

Kendall, you may have to tell him which fluid is correct as we all know many use the axle gear lube and are confident they used the correct fluid.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Fluid won't cause it to pop out, but you definitely want the right stuff in it. Short throw shifter guys that get lazy don't always get it in all the way and it pops out, or grinds like crazy. If you're gettin on it be very distinct to push/pull that stick completely. I did a ton of WRX trannys with short throw shifters and no 1st. 2nd side of slider ground so hard it mushroomed the teeth and wouldn't slide over hub to 1st. Basically needed a better 2nd ring set up so it'd go in when hammering it.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Yeah, wrong fluid won't cause it to pop out but as op mentioned they recently changed it, it is all too easy to get the wrong fluid. And the wrong fluid could be an inhibitor in getting full gear engagement. It's a stretch, but trying all the easy stuff is less costly than pulling/replacing the transaxle.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Yeah, wrong fluid won't cause it to pop out but as op mentioned they recently changed it, it is all too easy to get the wrong fluid. And the wrong fluid could be an inhibitor in getting full gear engagement. It's a stretch, but trying all the easy stuff is less costly than pulling/replacing the transaxle.
I had hard shift issues on my 2005 GT when purchased. Original owner never changed the trans oil, it was needing a change at 20,000 miles. I changed the oil, proper oil, and the shift issues were gone. I have no explainable idea how changing the oil fixed my hard shift issue.
A little off topic: I had a 1996 Dodge V-10 pickup, automatic, 36,000 miles, good color tranny fluid, periodically it would do weird things between 1st and 2nd upshits and down shifts. I changed the fluid and all the shift issues disappeared. Again, why?

So...... yeah, oil can affect shifting.

Reactions: Pettyfan43

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I have had the experience with a motorcycle of changing the oil, and the hard shifting goes away. Mystery to me too.

Reactions: dshears

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
I talked with HCF and Ron McCall about some possible trans work and both seemed very capable with the Ricardo transaxle. You mentioned fluid was recently changed, and was curious if any debris was found in the filters.
My trans is with Ron now for the 3:90 upgrade (His kitted out workshop is in Hampstead MD)

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
My trans is with Ron now for the 3:90 upgrade (His kitted out workshop is in Hampstead MD)
Did you remove your trans yourself?

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
No, Jason Heffner did.
I built a enclosed crate and trailered car over (2hr drive)

Reactions: extrap