06 GT pops out of 3rdgear under accelerating?

Pettyfan43

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2022
Patterson Ca.
Pirelli stopped making them in 2010 I was lucky to find these in inventory locally good enough to run till Bridgestone is available I figured, Thanks for the transaxle information who needs 3rd gear anyway right? All good

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
FWIW, I had a Corvette with the same symptoms (except it was 2nd gear)....and yep, it was a bad syncro.

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I think Nota4re is probably correct. The alignment tool checks the neutral position of the shifter. if your other gears/shifts are behaving normally, I would suspect something internal.

Third gear in the transaxle has a little history with syncro's and with the gear splitting at the weld. If the weld breaks, im pretty sure there is no drive in third. Tranny popping out of gear, was the syncro if I remember correctly.( Its been a while since anyone has posted about this, sorry).
Again, not sure about which causes which, just that this is a infrequent recurring issue.

Previous post about third gear issues: https://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/threads/jumping-out-of-third-gear.2115/

Stillen in Calif for repair work.
Kyle Stillen had ( i think) the only tech that had gone to Ricardo(or they came out to him)and was trained and certified on the transmission.
While the tech has moved on to another job, he agreed to help Kyle repair my transmission at their facility in Calif. He still may be available for this service, but Stillen would be your point of contact for that.( about 3 years ago).
Stillen mentioned they had repaired about 30-40 GT transaxles and could have a separated third gear rewelded if the break was clean (electron weld).

Others that have worked on the transaxle are BMF (Dan) and M2K Motorsports(Mark). A company out of Texas(Houston?), advertised they could make transaxle parts for the Ricardo. Think someone here a few years back did have a third gear made, didnt need it and was selling it.
That company did post here a number of years ago, but not sure they are available anymore. I'd use Google to search " FordGT Forum + ricardo+ transmission, etc.

Ford replacement transmissions are probably all gone. There where 11 left of the original ~150 transaxles order for spares, when the program started, when I bought my replacement. No transmission parts where order or stocked.

Hopefully you wont need this info and a cable adjustment works..

Pettyfan43

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2022
Patterson Ca.
Thanks very much Nafod for the information price of ownership in these amazing cars hoping I get lucky but at least I have options I bought my replacement rear defuser from Stillen they are great to work with.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I've seen crap under consoles block shift mechanisms on various cars. Shifter boot intact?

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
clutch time

Pettyfan43

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2022
Patterson Ca.
Yep all clear around the boot wish this car had a console to store crap? if I had a complaint about my GT it would be lacking cup holder and glove box all else is perfect thanks

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Yep all clear around the boot wish this car had a console to store crap? if I had a complaint about my GT it would be lacking cup holder and glove box all else is perfect thanks

In case you didn't know it yet, there's a small elastic mesh net pouch at the front of the driver's seat. Def not big, but can fit a phone and wallet or so.

My GT has the base radio which has a small bin between the seats instead of the big ol' subwoofer, and that small bin is actually handy since there's not much else. All to say, some guys have relocated the sub. You could search the forum for details.

Reactions: Pettyfan43

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
With some guys changing their cars back to stock, you may be able to find the Kip Ewing arm rest conversion that turns the elbow rest on your console into a lifting rest and cubby underneath.

Reactions: Pettyfan43

Pettyfan43

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2022
Patterson Ca.
I knew joining this site would be useful thanks extrap much appreciated

Reactions: extrap

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
clutch time
Jeff, why do you think it's related to the clutch? He only has 6000 miles.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
With some guys changing their cars back to stock, you may be able to find the Kip Ewing arm rest conversion that turns the elbow rest on your console into a lifting rest and cubby underneath.
Been looking for one of these for the last few years. No luck yet.

Jeff

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
It is! The part number is apparently OTC 308-602 (printed on the tool itself, which is black plastic. Also says "Made in USA"). I got it on ebay a few years ago and have used it once to check shifting. Also written on the bag is "Rare set rotunda Ford GT tools from dealership". An on line search using that number pops up here: https://www.freedomracing.com/gearshift-lever-aligner-308-602.html and also on ebay and elsewhere.
Thanks for the tip….I just found the aforementioned tool for 27 dollars shipped on eBay.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
They really don’t have much storage room from what I remember. I have one sitting around.....but it is part of a nearly complete CF interior, so if it is worth 5 figures to get some storage, come at me.....LOL

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
They really don’t have much storage room from what I remember. I have one sitting around.....but it is part of a nearly complete CF interior, so if it is worth 5 figures to get some storage, come at me.....LOL

Fits a wallet or phone, Registration, air pressure gauge,, pack of gum.

Yeah, not much, but in a desert, even a gulp of water helps.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal

I agree. Worn clutch would present as slipping under acceleration, not popping out of gear. Popping out of gear typically points to an internal problem.

And yet although 6,000 miles isn't a lot for a car that has been driven properly and not abused, I'm sure it would be entirely plausible to burn a clutch in less than 6,000 miles if someone were hard on it and had been habitually slipping the clutch a lot.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I agree. Worn clutch would present as slipping under acceleration, not popping out of gear. Popping out of gear typically points to an internal problem.

And yet although 6,000 miles isn't a lot for a car that has been driven properly and not abused, I'm sure it would be entirely plausible to burn a clutch in less than 6,000 miles if someone were hard on it and had been habitually slipping the clutch a lot.

... and starting off in 3rd gear.

... or 5th!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I'm sure it would be entirely plausible to burn a clutch in less than 6,000 miles
We had a Heritage with < 100miles in the shop a few years ago with a completely disintegrated clutch. Pretty sure someone tried to do a burnout in 3rd instead of first.... and likely thought things were going really well when all the smoke started pouring in. But is wasn't smoke from burning tires!!

Reactions: tpraceman and GTMD

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Personal experience. Started slipping a bit in 3rd gear and occasionally would pop out of 3rd gear. Big exception was that I had close to 100k on a Stillen clutch unit at that time. As we all know, clutch life time generally has nothing to do with GT mileage. Same can be said for rear tires. Very few Little old Ladies from Pasadena in this group.

Reactions: tpraceman

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
We had a Heritage with < 100miles in the shop a few years ago with a completely disintegrated clutch. Pretty sure someone tried to do a burnout in 3rd instead of first.... and likely thought things were going really well when all the smoke started pouring in. But is wasn't smoke from burning tires!!
Must have been a Corvette owner

Reactions: PL510*Jeff and 2112