Ford GT Bumper Delete

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Great Pipe. Have had mine since 2011 without issues.

Reactions: extrap

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The x-pipe will not work with a bumper delete.... unless you really like the look of extended pipes protruding from the rear of the GT.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
The x-pipe will not work with a bumper delete.... unless you really like the look of extended pipes protruding from the rear of the GT.

I assumed they were built to order and could be spec'd out to be shorter?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Nope.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

I assume you are just referring to the Accufab exhaust here, but your replies are misleading and confusing to the newbies here.

Yes, it is certainly possible to specify you want your X-pipe built to fit a bumperless GT. Heffner builds them for GTs with and without bumper deletes. Back when Kendall (nota4re) sold his CoolTech version, I bought one for my bumpered car, and absolutely love it. However, I decided to go bumperless this winter and I was lucky enough to find a forum member who had a surplus, unused CoolTech X-pipe made with the shortened tips, and I can’t wait to get started on this little project soon. Just before I found this one from a forum member, I had spoken with Heffner about building me one, and that was their first question- bumper or no bumper? They do them in batches, so they don’t always have units ready to ship out.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I assume you are just referring to the Accufab exhaust here, but your replies are misleading and confusing to the newbies here.

I beg to differ. I have done nothing but to try to clarify what is and what is not possible.... and correct misleading/inaccurate posts.

The Accufab has NEVER been sold as a bumper delete exhaust. By its design, the Accufab is still completing a bend where it would need to be cut to have a bumper delete version. Like the OEM exhaust, you can still run it with a bumper delete kit, but the tips are going to stick out about 8-9 inches.

Regarding the Heffner, you are correct historically, but incorrect now. We have had 2 Heffner exhaust on order since August. The ETA for those exhausts continued to slide and now there is an indefinite delay. Hopefully, Heffner will resolve his staffing issues (another business clobbered by COVID), but as of now the only bumper-delete exhaust that can be purchased is the Borla - and then the RBD kit ordered with the shortened tips.

Reactions: analogdesigner

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Just rambling here but the Accufab just doesn't look that long out the back (to me).

If it stuck out 4 inches, that actually would look cool to me.

I had to cut my Full length exhaust tips with the full FRPP header system and am very happy with it.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
I beg to differ. I have done nothing but to try to clarify what is and what is not possible.... and correct misleading/inaccurate posts.

The Accufab has NEVER been sold as a bumper delete exhaust. By its design, the Accufab is still completing a bend where it would need to be cut to have a bumper delete version. Like the OEM exhaust, you can still run it with a bumper delete kit, but the tips are going to stick out about 8-9 inches.

Regarding the Heffner, you are correct historically, but incorrect now. We have had 2 Heffner exhaust on order since August. The ETA for those exhausts continued to slide and now there is an indefinite delay. Hopefully, Heffner will resolve his staffing issues (another business clobbered by COVID), but as of now the only bumper-delete exhaust that can be purchased is the Borla - and then the RBD kit ordered with the shortened tips.

Now THIS post provided clarification. Just saying "nope" hardly explains the situation. Try re-reading what you wrote, through the eyes of somebody new to the FGT world. Perhaps you meant to say "their X-pipe" and not "the X-pipe"; again, referring to the Accufab unit. The question was asked " I assumed they were built to order and could be spec'd out to be shorter?", and you said "nope". The answer is YES, although I am sorry to hear about the recent production delays.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The question was asked " I assumed they were built to order and could be spec'd out to be shorter?",

Yes, that was exactly the question. If YOU follow the THREAD - and they are called THREADS for a reason, the context was in reference to Accufab's X-pipe. X-pipe is the name of the Accufab exhaust. Heffner's is not an X-pipe design, nor is it referenced as an X-pipe... so we are discussing the Accufab X-pipe when there was SPECULATION that it could be purchased as a shorter version. It cannot, nor has it ever been orderable this way.

Post 21-24 are consistent and without ambiguity - not sure why you or a future reader could be confused?

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Yes, that was exactly the question. If YOU follow the THREAD - and they are called THREADS for a reason, the context was in reference to Accufab's X-pipe. X-pipe is the name of the Accufab exhaust. Heffner's is not an X-pipe design, nor is it referenced as an X-pipe... so we are discussing the Accufab X-pipe when there was SPECULATION that it could be purchased as a shorter version. It cannot, nor has it ever been orderable this way.

Post 21-24 are consistent and without ambiguity - not sure why you or a future reader could be confused?

Well, maybe it IS just me.. and now I see your point about Heffner’s unit not being an actual “X-pipe” design.... but maybe also you missed the many posts in this entire THREAD where 2112, Bbhaynes, BiginchBlake, PeteK, My Red-Rocket, and I were all discussing the Heffner, Accufab, Borla, GTG, etc using the term “X-pipe” in a general, colloquial sense for what is obviously the cat-back systems we are discussing the merits of. Regardless, I felt it would be helpful to make sure everybody knew that most companies make their exhaust for both configurations. We both have the same goal here- trying to be helpful.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Apparently Heffner is really dragging on making their x-pipes so Kendell isn't taking orders for them. Anyone have any other recommendations? Also how do you find/order from The GT Guys? I've tried searching them and could not locate. Thanks.

If you look at the Hefner site the exhausts they make for the Gt's is "currently discontinued"

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Like nota4re said cutting the Accufab tips can be tricky as the underside of the exhaust has a long bend and any cut has to be done before the bend starts.
From what I could see about 4" could be be cut with the same tapered cut that contours similar to butt of car.
You get about 2" sticking out from bumper if cut there.

Attachments

• IMG_1513.jpg
    IMG_1513.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1514.jpg
    IMG_1514.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1515.jpg
    IMG_1515.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1516.jpg
    IMG_1516.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Like nota4re said cutting the Accufab tips can be tricky as the underside of the exhaust has a long bend and any cut has to be done before the bend starts.
From what I could see about 4" could be be cut with the same tapered cut that contours similar to butt of car.
You get about 2" sticking out from bumper if cut there.

Great Photo's.. Thanks.

For me , I would start with a smaller increment to cut off and drive it for a bit, see if I liked it. See if the sound changed much after the cut.
Can always cut more off, hard to go the other direction. :)

Reactions: 2112

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Fair call on cutting less as a first cut.
Maybe just 2" would be enough to get a look......but 4" might look better;)

Apples

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
@Nafod agreed

@HOOKED ON GT great demonstration, thank you.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Not sure a few inches will make much difference (to the cut off length) to the sound.
The best sound the GT made was when I drove the car with just the cats shooting up to outer space (clam shell off) it was like a big capacity off shore boat.... amazing

Last edited:
Reactions: DakotaGT

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012

Too bad this is in Germany, but with a little polish this might clean up pretty well; otherwise one could have it ceramic re-coated.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Not sure a few inches will make much difference (to the cut off length) to the sound.

Right. There’s no muffling going on in that last few inches. If the angle was changing, sometimes that can affect the sound a bit (more vs less reverb against the ground, etc), but certainly no volume would be lost in trimming off a bit of the tips.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
I wasn't surprised how loud and beefy the sound was with just the OEM cats (loved it) ... exiting the sound.
Was surprised when I added the Accufab set up and with only 3-4' of pipe how it softened the tone massively.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
If you need to shorten pipes you could try Bob Ida at Ida Automotive in New Jersey or you could try Rich Brooks GT GUYS LLC