tach inoperative after the battery went flat

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
my official ford battery maintainer failed and my battery went dead. After I charged it, the tach is not working. Please how long will it take for the tach to function once again? I know that this is a typical problem

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The gauge control module attempts to communicate with the gauges at key-on. If one or more of the gauges fail to check-in, they will be ignored for the duration of that key-on/drive cycle.

If the tach or another gauge is not operative during one start sequence - it is not necessarily dead. It could be a "check-in" anomaly. Conversely, if your tach (or any other gauge) remains dead through several start sequences - it is DEAD.

For our customers, we recommend a best practice of turning the key to the "on" position and then waiting for the odometer to display before pressing the start button.

Predictably someone is going to jump on saying to check your grounds.... but in our (considerable) experience with Ford GT gauge anomalies, never once have we seen one related to a ground issue.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Good advice

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL

For our customers, we recommend a best practice of turning the key to the "on" position and then waiting for the odometer to display before pressing the start button.

That's the way I do it ... along with 🤞

When I went to start mine for one of my friends, while I waited for the ODO display he said, "What, does it have some kind of start sequence?" 😁

Well ... yes it does 🥴

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
I recall there was a contact here that could get us the direct replacements for our Auto Meter gauges for a fair price.
Who has that info?
Thnx

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I recall there was a contact here that could get us the direct replacements for our Auto Meter gauges for a fair price.
Who has that info?
Thnx
You will have to contact Autometer directly. See this topic:

reply #3 had a contact but that was a while ago. Note that this is for the small gauges only. If your speedometer or tach have gone out the only options are a Ford replacement or to switch to Speedhut.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I heard that Cooltech (I think it was Cooltech) was going to rebuild the stock units. Is that still in progress?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I heard that Cooltech (I think it was Cooltech) was going to rebuild the stock units. Is that still in progress?
No. We offered this for awhile but we had what I would call quality control and lack of interest from the supplier of the innards. Namely, several of the tach/speedo we had fixed were insufferably slow in responsiveness. We stopped the service.

Reactions: Joe Dozzo

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
Last time we ordered a new Tach from Ford it took three goes to get a good one and I got the impression we were now at the bottom of the parts barrel...
We are looking at combining a Speedhut tach with the bezel repainted to match stock along with a different gauge plate so you can use all the rest of the stock gauges - still a work in progress though. You will of course lose the flat bottomed tach.

Reactions: HNS

planmgb

GT Owner
Jun 21, 2011
Dallas, TX
My Tach is dead and I ordered the speed hut not realizing it wont fit in the ford dash you have to get the whole cluster and buy the Speedo from Speed Hut as well. Are there any other options? Ford wants $1600 for the factory Tach?

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
My Tach is dead and I ordered the speed hut not realizing it wont fit in the ford dash you have to get the whole cluster and buy the Speedo from Speed Hut as well. Are there any other options? Ford wants $1600 for the factory Tach?

tachs are back ordered right now. just get the bezel from speed hut and put the speed hut in a call it a day..

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Can someone post a photo of the Speed Hut tach, so I can see what it looks like?

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I know I'm in the minority, but I like the Speedhut gauges. The white face (you can get black if you want) helps the contrast with the mostly black interior and like having shiftlights.
Ready to install.jpg

Although it has been awhile since I bought my Speedhuts, at least at that time the entire set including the panel cost significantly less than either the tach or speedo. Just buy and install the set. There is a bonus also in that the Speedhut panel is slightly smaller than the stock one and fits more easily.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I know I'm in the minority, but I like the Speedhut gauges. The white face (you can get black if you want) helps the contrast with the mostly black interior and like having shiftlights.
View attachment 63101

That makes me wanna get the whole Speedhut cluster, and I'm not even having gauge problems! (knockonwood)

Reactions: GT@50

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
In fairness, didn't the Speedhut set have issues with some gauges? I have the full set but didn't install it as the small Autometers were produced again in corrected form.

planmgb

GT Owner
Jun 21, 2011
Dallas, TX
Just ordered the Speedo to go with the Tach that doesn't fit will post a picture when it is complete. Thanks for everyone's input. BTW they will do up to a double rush on gauges if you are willing to spend additional $40

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
In fairness, didn't the Speedhut set have issues with some gauges? I have the full set but didn't install it as the small Autometers were produced again in corrected form.

There is one guy around that had a negative comment on every thread that mentioned Speedhut gauges, but everyone else seems fine with them....even BMF who is very knowledgeable on all things FGT.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Yes, but as I recall they stood by their product.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
One thing I like about the Speedhut tach is the adjustable shift lights.