One way to be prepared for four days straight of no power.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California

Reactions: extrap

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Very industrious. I have 110 plugs on my F250 diesel. Will have to remember this hack.
Fortunately I put in a 45 Kw Generac unit a few years back. We live on a somewhat unstable grid outside of town. It’s run off a 1000 gal propane tank. We hit minus 2* on Monday night. The 4 banger generator didn’t miss a beat. Ran for 72 hrs straight.
Folks out here lost water since we are all on wells and septic tanks.
I have 2 sets of neighbors stay over as their home temps were in the 30’s. Some water wells still frozen up after power returned.
With no water flow and poorly insulated well heads, some folks had pipes burst from ice.
With the thaw, problems are gonna emerge.
I shut my main pool pumps off and opened up valves. 4” thick ice on pool. I’m standing in the middle of my pool 😂2FDF97BB-FE87-49A7-915B-6EE50E1007EA.jpegA820300F-CFC7-4628-856A-8540BF099D6A.jpeg

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Yikes!
I feel your pain! My heart felt sympathies

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Yikes!
I feel your pain! My heart felt sympathies

We didn’t suffer with good heat and water thanks to the generator. My neighbors...not so good. I look like a “stable genius” right now for having done the install 😂
Having a 4x4 Ford pickup was also great. The wife is an OR nurse. Took her to work in the snow and ice without a problem.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
We have a big generator as well, but power stayed on in SW Missouri. I think the utilities invested the $$ to ensure operability during very cold weather, unlike many utilities in TX. Glad you stayed warm and with water and were able to meet your neighbors needs.

Reactions: ByeEnzo
Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Glad you're doing ok. This weather is brutal.

QSS

Last edited:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Read today that Ford has asked their dealers in Tx to loan out new trucks with generators to help the situation.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
GT on the pool photo op.

Wow, that is just crazy Jeff. Glad that you are okay and kudos for helping out your neighbors survive the low temps! Take care and we are wishing warmer weather as soon as possible. Reports are looking positive in the next couple days. Hang in there!

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Global warming......................!