• vmacocss05_1171497792343-1-0 (002).jpg
    vmacocss05_1171497792343-1-0 (002).jpg
    500.9 KB · Views: 4

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Is it present bilaterally or just one side? My first impression would be that it is a rock chip.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Is it present bilaterally or just one side? My first impression would be that it is a rock chip.

It was just the one side and according to Ford tech it was caused due to wing being out of adjustment - which the chip was repaired and wing adjusted

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
It was just the one side and according to Ford tech it was caused due to wing being out of adjustment - which the chip was repaired and wing adjusted

Good to know! Glad it got repaired!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You don't realize your car is telling you it wants to be RED?

Reactions: steved57

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Haha keep dreaming Frank so maybe you should have bought a Ferrari

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
why, I have a one of one car for 2018.

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
Suntec ppf 8 mil installed on the car. Two pieces of 11 mil ppf on top of each other in problem area. Wing in relaxed position no visual effects noticeable to paint or ppf so far. I believe 20200922_181145.jpg20200922_181055.jpgit might have solved the problem.

Reactions: Ed Sims

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
Need to see pics, or just circle exactly where it's occurring. If it's the leading edge on the wing chipping from contact, is it also not damaging the inboard side of the body? Just as a possibility, if the wing is up in the air and it has managed to get small chips, could it literally be rock chips?

I would definitely continue to call the service people and document any progression of answers and the response times.

DBK, it's definitely NOT rock chips as I have the exact same chip in the exact same location on BOTH sides of the wing. As previously reported, this is at the leading edge of the wing at each extreme outboard corner. IMO, it's either a hydraulic malfunction and/or an adjustment issue. For example, if the wing tilted up (in air braking mode) before retracting, it is possible those leading edge wing corners could make contact with the stationary pivot "pins" located on the rear quarter panels thereby taking out a small chunk of paint on each side. Frankly, there is no other logical explanation as there's nothing else on the body for those outboard corners of the wing to make contact with.

At Ford's request, I drove the car into the dealership last week for pics by the GT Tech to be sent to Ford/Multimatic. Ford Engineering subsequently asked me to bring the car back to the dealer again next week for some tests and possibly some parts removal to see what's going on with the hydraulics. Hopefully, I will know more by the end of next week and I will post the results ... along with pics of the two leading edge paint chips so all can better understand where the damage is located and what it looks like.

Thanks for everyone's input.

usmcfred

Last edited:

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
DBK, it's definitely NOT rock chips as I have the exact same chip in the exact same location on BOTH sides of the wing. As previously reported, this is at the leading edge of the wing at each extreme outboard corner. IMO, it's either a hydraulic malfunction and/or an adjustment issue. For example, if the wing tilted up (in air braking mode) before retracting, it is possible those leading edge wing corners could make contact with the stationary pivot "pins" located on the rear quarter panels thereby taking out a small chunk of paint on each side. Frankly, there is no other logical explanation as there's nothing else on the body for those outboard corners of the wing to make contact with.

At Ford's request, I drove the car into the dealership last week for pics by the GT Tech to be sent to Ford/Multimatic. Ford Engineering subsequently asked me to bring the car back to the dealer again next week for some tests and possibly some parts removal to see what's going on with the hydraulics. Hopefully, I will know more by the end of next week and I will post the results ... along with pics of the two leading edge paint chips so all can better understand where the damage is located and what it looks like.

Thanks for everyone's input.

usmcfred

Guys, following are pics of the right and left side paint damage incurred at the extreme outboard corners of the leading edge of the wing. The GT is at the dealership now and the GT Tech will be running tests and diagnostics at the direction of a Ford Engineer in Dearborn. I will report results when known.

1601404971020.png

1601405041665.png

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
OUCH and UGH

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Wow damn. That I have definitely not seen before.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
There is no PPF on there? How many miles?

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Looks like it's hitting the alignment pin. A simple PCM calibration should stop it. Or, go faster through the corners and the wing will stay up!

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
There is no PPF on there? How many miles?

No PPF on the Wing as it should not be necessary as it's in a protected area not subject to road debris in normal street driving.. More likely an adjustment or hydraulic issue.

usmcfred