When would you send a set of tires back from the dealer?

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I asked my supplier if he could determine how old the tires were before he orders them. He said that he just orders by SKU and there is no information on age in the databases that he sees. He said we just have to see what comes when we order (I don't know if that implies a return, or under what circumstances, so I thought I'd prepare)

Like a bad glass of wine, what is the acceptable age range for a new set of tires you are putting on your GT's? I want to be realistic (during COVID) but also make sure I am getting a reasonable usable lifespan and a product in good shape from that start. Thanks for your thoughts.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
I just got new BStones at Discount tire with 2019 and 2018 production dates....My sales person will call the warehouse and check on date codes.

Last edited:
Reactions: steved57

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Tire Rack has always accommodated my request for recent dated tires. If you won't track the car it makes less of a difference since no one will check the dates. But figure they will be on the car at least 3_4 years so certainly no more than 3 years old.

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
Just bought Bridgestones at Tire Rack and they are all 2019 build dates.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Thanks everyone! Good to know that you are able to get 2019 (and 2018) production.

What are typical track requirements for tire age that you have seen?

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I asked this question of Costco. They said they don't sell anything older than 6 months. They routinely have Bridgestone sales. They also have a better tire damage warranty.( 5 yrs) that is included in the cost.
Most clubs ask that tires are no older than 3 years for track time that I've been to.
My current 6-7 yrs old Stones will not grip in first with my new Pulley/tune.. I tracked them at 4.5 to 5 yrs old with a stock car and grip was an issue.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
For Costco purchases, do you just bring your unmounted wheels there and have them mount and balance new rubber, and then install wheel set yourself later on the GT?

Not sure I'd be comfortable in Southern CA in a packed Costco parking lot letting my GT sit out there for hours waiting for uninstall, mount, balance, re-install.

Maybe I'll take my wheels off and bring them to Costco for replacement. Do you find the Bridgestones available online through Costco, or is it typically a special order for such specific tires? Thanks!

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Tire Rack has a list of trusted installers. Not sure if that helps.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Call Radial tire .also called discount tire.State you need good build dates and they will accommodate you.
301-585-2740
ask for Bill or Paul.(owners)

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Is this the correct info for the correct Bridgestone tires for the GT, which I read off the pix of this '06 Heritage GT?

Front: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Scuderia 265/40ZR18 (101Y) N1 Porsche (N1 Porsche so the tread patterns match)

Rear: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Scuderia 345/35ZR19 (110Y)

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The fronts have to be the N1 Porsche or the tread patterns won't match.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
The fronts have to be the N1 Porsche or the tread patterns won't match.

Thanks. Revised my post.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
For Costco purchases, do you just bring your unmounted wheels there and have them mount and balance new rubber, and then install wheel set yourself later on the GT?

Not sure I'd be comfortable in Southern CA in a packed Costco parking lot letting my GT sit out there for hours waiting for uninstall, mount, balance, re-install.

Maybe I'll take my wheels off and bring them to Costco for replacement. Do you find the Bridgestones available online through Costco, or is it typically a special order for such specific tires? Thanks!
Good luck with not getting the surface of the wheels scratched....I would have them mounted by a shop that deals with high end exotics.

Reactions: SYCO GT