ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

My 2006 GT is currently at The GT Guy Shop in MI and Rich told me my Borla muffler is rattling because something inside it has broken. I put that muffler on because my hearing sucks and I cant hear conversation with my old unmuffled cat-back. Does anybody here know where I can find a new Ford Racing Borla? I understand a lot of these have had problems. Is the latest version more robust/reliable? The car needs to be shipped back to me soon for our Ford vs Ferrari movie event. Thanks.

Chip

Pat Milliken Ford

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 15, 2017
Redford, Michigan
Gentlemen,

My 2006 GT is currently at The GT Guy Shop in MI and Rich told me my Borla muffler is rattling because something inside it has broken. I put that muffler on because my hearing sucks and I cant hear conversation with my old unmuffled cat-back. Does anybody here know where I can find a new Ford Racing Borla? I understand a lot of these have had problems. Is the latest version more robust/reliable? The car needs to be shipped back to me soon for our Ford vs Ferrari movie event. Thanks.

Chip
They don’t make the Ford Racing stamped one anymore but Fred Calero has a new Borla stamped one for sale at a good price!

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Chip, before you buy a new Borla contact them and tell them of your problem. I had the exact same issue two or three years ago and they produced a new muffler for me. I have had no problems with the new muffler with roughly 10K miles on it (40K on the car). Thank you to Borla for standing behind this outstanding muffler.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Million mile warranty. Several years ago I emailed Borla about cracked welds. They sent me a new muffler, no questions asked. They said it was the last Ford branded one, but they are still available with Borla brand.

The 2nd gen muffler was redesigned with no external welds on the ends (which is where the 1st gen often cracked), and a different muffling material (the 1st gen would rot and get buzzy).

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Pm sent. mine is for sale. Ford version. I asked rich if he was interested and he said he had plenty.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Call Borla, heck they were Rally 1 sponsors!

Call Borla, heck they were Rally 1 sponsors!
When mine cracked along the seams, they sent me a new one in exchange with a better design. A real stand up company!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I called Borla and they said that since my muffler said Ford Racing on it that I had to get it warranted through Ford Performance even though Borla made the muffler. Rich said the contact he was given at Ford Performance hasn't responded. I'm kind of stuck right now.

Chip

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I just got a call from Alex Borla and he couldn't have been nicer. He said he'd ship a new unit to Rich right away and he wants the old one back for analysis which is cool too. Certainly can't ask for more than that. Definitely makes me want to buy more Borla products in the future. Cheers.

Chip

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Gentlemen,

I just got a call from Alex Borla and he couldn't have been nicer. He said he'd ship a new unit to Rich right away and he wants the old one back for analysis which is cool too. Certainly can't ask for more than that. Definitely makes me want to buy more Borla products in the future. Cheers.

Chip

Yep, there's customer service!!!

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Yes Borla has outstanding service/warranty.

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
Stand-up guy!

CanadaGT

GT Owner
Sep 28, 2006
Edmonton Alberta
Chip, that is why I have Borla on all my stuff. Over the years they have been awesome to deal with. Just my $.02

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Link to my listing for Borla muffler and long tube headers.

https://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/threads/new-05-06-borla-exhaust-for-sale.36386/

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Warranty is nice, but not needing warranty is better. I've had Borla headers and muffler both fail. The big labor bill is all yours.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
All my stuff has some form of Borla, except for the GT, which is all Heffner.
Can't complain about either of these great companies!
Best,
Mark

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Ale
Gentlemen,

Chip
Alex is a stand up guy.

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Warranty is nice, but not needing warranty is better. I've had Borla headers and muffler both fail. The big labor bill is all yours.

Agreed. The Borla headers I have lasted under 2k miles before they developed a header leak. It annoys me every time I drive it, but I don't want to go back to stock and taking the chance of buying another set to throw away more money doesn't make sense either...A local shop recommended fixing this issue by replacing the gaskets and heating them up properly. Is this worth a try?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Agreed. The Borla headers I have lasted under 2k miles before they developed a header leak. It annoys me every time I drive it, but I don't want to go back to stock and taking the chance of buying another set to throw away more money doesn't make sense either...A local shop recommended fixing this issue by replacing the gaskets and heating them up properly. Is this worth a try?

If it's a gasket leak, that is a relatively easy fix. Not a lot of labor. Well, at least it can be done without removing the headers completely. However, a bigger weakness of the Borla headers are the tiny welds that join the four tubes. These develop leaks and generally are difficult or impossible to repair without removing the headers. Lots of labor.

Borla replaced my headers under warranty. I had the cracked header welds repaired and I sold them, so not a total loss. But still a PITA.