Dash Disassembly for Gauge Replacement

bigdaddo

GT Owner
Jan 2, 2006
Where can I find a you tube or written description of what's involved in removing the dash to replace the boost gauge?

-West

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
Not YouTube but I found it VERY helpful when I replaced the gauges in my car.

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
Hi West, Joe gives good description how to remove dash, just to ad I used a bent puller screw driver in empty screw holes when slowly prying it out gauge panel, this was hardest part for me, didn't want damage anything I went slow, wiggled it carefully, I think I even stopped and went back at it later.

Steve

Attachments

• bent puller.jpg
    bent puller.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 10

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Hi West, Joe gives good description how to remove dash, just to ad I used a bent puller screw driver in empty screw holes when slowly prying it out gauge panel, this was hardest part for me, didn't want damage anything I went slow, wiggled it carefully, I think I even stopped and went back at it later.

Steve

I used the same tools.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I will add one thing and welcome feedback.

Everyone always wants you to disconnect the battery. Well, if you do, you will have to run the drive cycle to get the emissions systems to come ready.

I have never disconnected the battery (except to replace the battery). Instead, when I'm really paranoid, I remove the appropriate fuse. That way your engine adaptives are preserved.

But in practice, as long as you don't turn the key on there is no issue.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Getting my gauge panel out was a major PITA. I hope yours is easier.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Definitely in the technique ! I watched GT guys pull mine out; it seemed so easy! I had to go back at later date to replace the tach. Getting the gauge assembly to release was difficult ! Left side first then move it to the left. Patience! If it does not come out immediately. Take a break and go back!
Since reassembling, my bright light indicator not working, probably pulled bulb or connector out. Will need a day of patience to go back!!

tmctguer

GT Owner
Jan 11, 2010
dana point, CA
Search for the post I made 6 or 8 months ago on this topic. I included links to posts that were helpful to my as I tackled the job of a oil pressure gauge replacement.

It was critical to cut one of the factory installed tie wraps that holds the gauge cluster in place. It won’t budge without cutting it. Again, this is explained in my post.

Make sure you tape the HELL out of the dashboard and the steering column. The edges of the gauge cluster are razor sharp and will scratch any surface that is not protected.

Take your time and stop if you get frustrated.

Reactions: Ed Sims

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Getting mine out was a PITA also, but I found that using a few thin popsicle sticks or flat pieces of plastic around the perimeter at certain points helped ease it out. You have to push up on the inside top of the binnacle to flex it up a bit to help release it too. As everyone says, use blue tape or something similar to protect other surfaces and just keep working it slowly. If I ever do it again, I might use duct tape or something tougher than the blue tape becuase the sharp edges of the panel will cut through one layer of blue tape.

bigdaddo

GT Owner
Jan 2, 2006
Here's a stray thought: Is there anyone, anywhere who can repair a non functioning boost gauge? Also, who manufactured the original ones for Ford? Today I checked at my local Ford dealer and found out the OEM boost gauge from Ford costs $953.63 + tax!! I fell like I'm falling down a rabbit hole chasing after this.............

-West

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Please see Post #3 in the OTHER (boost gauge) thread you started. If you start threads, you might as well read the responses so you don't ask questions about things that have already been answered. ;)