Magnetic battery charger

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I just added one of these to the 05 today! Excellent idea! Thank you soroush.
excellent! did you use the hole that was in the screen for the tow hook?

my next project is the 05 gt I still have not decided where to install the connector.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
the other cool thing I found out about this connector is that unless the pigtail is actually connected to the magnetic connector there is no electrical connection through the wires

once the pigtail attaches to the connector its activated and the wires are live.

DG1

GT Owner
Sep 21, 2016
Toronto
the other cool thing I found out about this connector is that unless the pigtail is actually connected to the magnetic connector there is no electrical connection through the wires

once the pigtail attaches to the connector its activated and the wires are live.

excellent! did you use the hole that was in the screen for the tow hook?

my next project is the 05 gt I still have not decided where to install the connector.

I went to the opposite side of the grille to leave the tow hook unencumbered and maintain a symmetrical appearance. Played around with the positioning of the magnetic disc to make sure that the cap would open easily and not hit any painted surface. Once positioned, I marked the grill around the outside of the mag connector with a silver sharpie and used a Dremel and burr to create an opening within the silver marks. I used a sanding drum in the Dremel to sneak up on the “right” circumference to get the best fit for the mag connector. Works like a charm!
To add to your comments on the absence of an electrical connection until the pigtail is connected, my battery tender blinks red if the pigtail is not lined up properly. There seems to be a notch in the plastic that ensures that you line the pigtail and base up properly but I was playing around with it to see what would happen if you didn’t get it right. The magnet still grips the pigtail but there seems to be no electrical connection made until you rotate the pigtail so that it clicks into the right position. Very cool product- thanks again for posting!

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
yes the groove in the connector is there to make sure you get the proper polarity and the magnetic activation of the wire is there to make sure if there ever was somehow a connection made of the leads on the connector it wouldnt blow the fuse or worse yet cause a fire.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
just did the 05 gt

decided to stay with the inner fender liner on the pass side just like the new gt. its out of the way and you cant really tell unless youre looking for itIMG_9424.JPG