Should I worry?

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
I looked at a 2005 GT the other day....He had it in a garage, very cold one, mouse traps everywhere, rear tire parked halfway on a 2 by 4, (thus the tire was half on it), car cover on a dirty car. Dirt everywhere, exterior, interior, underside, etc. Would like to buy it, but it will need much time to clean it. Should I pass? The way it was stored kind of bothers me. The only thing I thought was good was he had the battery tender connected to it. What bothers me is I got to wonder how was the car maintained? Is this a worry? Part of me thinks it would be fun to clean it up, thus I would know every inch of it, and it would be rewarding! I hate to think, this might be a barn find!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
It appears you already know the answer to your question, sir.

The mouse traps everywhere could mean big trouble ju$t on their own.

I'm not confident you could buy the car a price that was low enough to justify the apparent risks involved...let alone come out on top in the end. At a bare minimum you are going to need to have a PPI (edit: pre purchase inspection) done by a Ford GT expert and go from there.

Buuuut, that said, I'm not known as "Paranoid Pockets" 'round here for nothing.

Last edited:

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Were there any evidence of trapped mice? If not, they might be having a feast inside the car, the way a car is stored tells a lot about its owner, and I'm with Pockets on the PPI, good luck!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
If the price is right, get a PPI done and then decide. Tell the inspector to look for mouse damage. I'd ask the owner why there is dirt everywhere--are we talking about just lots of dust, or like mud or something? How many miles on it, and does he have receipts for any services?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Welcome to the forum.

As others have stated, I would strongly urge you to get a PPI. There are a LOT of subtle things a very experienced person can look for and locate (vin stickers, stamps etc). Dirt and dust would not bother me a bit (it can be cleaned). How long has the car been sitting? If it drove last summer that is one thing, if its been a few years, thats where things get scarier. Ethanol fuel can spoil. I would speculate, you might be wanting to plan on freshening the car with new tires, maybe battery, full fluids change, including brake and clutch bleeding.

How many miles does the car have?

Hope it works out for you!

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
Hi, Thank you all for responding! The car was put in the garage for the winter and it looks like it just really never was washed, (he claims he used dry-wash on it), it looks it. Engine compartment, was also dirty, to which it can be all cleaned up, I just was not expecting a car like that to be in that condition. It has almost 7K on it, he is the original owner, and is getting me all the maintenance records. My impression of him is that he bought a car that was not really for him, although he remembers seeing it and wanting it. He is over 70, and I could see that he cannot even get down low enough to wash it, as there were bug marks on the lower nose that looked like they were there for years. I did do a carfax and I understand the downfalls of the information, but it does check out to be fine (again according to carfax). One thing I do know is mouse damage is horrible!

The pluses were, low mileage, original everything, (except for tires, his claimed maintenance, still has the plastic on the sill plates, it seemed dry, and he know enough to leave it on the tender every year). It was very strange how he took care of it, almost like it was given to him or something.

I feel, for the condition, he is asking about 40K to much, but he does look to the usual places for values. I really don't mind paying for something, but maybe it might need lots of repair or maintenance. I really do not like to insult him, but as we know, to some, the truth is hard to take.

I think a PPI is due...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I think a PPI is due...

...by an expert who knows FGTs inside and out. There are several around the country.

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Definitely get a PPI. This alone is worth every penny. It is amazing that people put nice cars up for sale without having a full detail cleaning. I bought a high end motorcycle this summer from a guy who stored it in his living room. The thing was full of dust and leaking oil. I got it for a steal so it was worth the gamble.
So if you think he’s 40k too high, you’ve got a big gap there. You’ll need more than dirt complaint to close it.

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Sounds like you may have found a car that has peaked your interest... a little dirt means he drives he car and that’s a good thing... there a few guys here that never wash their cars.... LOL. But I would buy theirs.

You’ve heard of PPI mentioned several times. I would recommend Rich Brooks from The GT Garage.... his contact is as follows:

Rich Brooks
734 658-9498
Richgtguy@gmail.com

As you get closer to your price, he would definitely be one of the best to call for a PPI or any other work you might like to have done on your new purchase...

Good Luck and welcome to the forum.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
PPI is key. Rich Brooks the best. Otherwise can recommend mechanic from an Albany dealer who may be willing to travel. PM me if interested.

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
sounds like he was purposely trying to sell it for a much reduced price by showing it in such conditions as the cold rat infested garage and the filth (LOL)

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Just buy a cleaner, cheaper car

There are certain bio-waste remnants that get sucked up into any car from A/c, to mold spores, to excretory particulates.

Some you can never get out and have nice whiff of humid days, when a/c blows, or seats warm up.

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
The car will need a extensive paint correction for one. Anytime you leave bugs on there like that you can guarantee there is clear coat, possibly paint damage. And like already mentioned...the mice problem could be a nightmare. Usually people don't put out traps until after they realize its a problem. The fact that he didn't even care enough to pick them up before you got there says a lot.

On the other hand, you don't have to worry about him trying to hide anything. What you see is what you get, lol.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
If the PPI checks out and its for the right price it could work!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
If the PPI checks out and its for the right price it could work!

+1

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Turn on AC and see if it blows any mouse chewed paper or shmutz.

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Costs can escalate quickly on cars kept like this and I agree will need paint correction,the lack of maintenance which is obvious is a major issue on a 14 year old car,pass unless it’s a deal over 50k below normal price