FikseGTS

GT Owner
Apr 15, 2007
South Florida

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
Congratulations FiskeGTS, what a beast !

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
something doesnt add up in the vid. Either the 720 is not stock or the Gt is not making 1000hp or maybe its 1000 to the crank and its more like 800 to the wheels the stock 1/4 mile time for a 720 is 9.9s at about 141 when my car was making 825 hp I ran 10.40s at 140 and that was spinning first and second gear on street tires ,regular F1s

the way that 720 was gaining on the Gt is not indicative of the advertised hp of each car. if the gt was really making 1000 on a roll race the 720 wouldnt stand a chance, unless the 720 is making 900

The video has a caption that the GT hit a wet spot on the track so the driver correction took it out of the race (even if it did finish).

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The video has a caption that the GT hit a wet spot on the track so the driver correction took it out of the race (even if it did finish).

That was the 2nd roll.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
In one of the videos of the 720, it is going against a 918 and right from the start the 918 pulls away with no hint of the 720 ever being able to gain on it. now if the 720 is still as stock as it was that day shouldnt the Gt that makes just as much power as the 918 and actually weighs less than the 918 be just as dominant.

as I said something just doesnt add up here. the more likely thing is that the GT was just down on power for some reason.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
In one of the videos of the 720, it is going against a 918 and right from the start the 918 pulls away with no hint of the 720 ever being able to gain on it. now if the 720 is still as stock as it was that day shouldnt the Gt that makes just as much power as the 918 and actually weighs less than the 918 be just as dominant.

as I said something just doesnt add up here. the more likely thing is that the GT was just down on power for some reason.

Computers shift and control traction better than humans?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
...the Gt that makes just as much power as the 918...

Flaw in the logic.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006

918 has pretty advanced traction, and with the electric motors, torque curve pretty different.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
The GT has the camera perfectly aimed behind and to the side.

It's somewhat staged.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007

ok i'll play along, do you think the gt lost ground because the guy didnt shift right? or it was spinning? I didnt see any of that on the video in fact what I observed was the gt pulled ahead in second gear like you would expect a car with 200 more hp do and it should have taken another leap after he went into 3rd and forth but instead the 720 was gaining.

Flaw in the logic.

please explain...

918 has pretty advanced traction, and with the electric motors, torque curve pretty different.

torque curve is different yes, but the twin turbo gt is not a high revving, low torque motor either! in race like the video above in the middle of third and 4th gear the torque curve is insignificant the hp number is the most determining factor. unless you are assuming the gt makes 400ft lbs of torque at 3500hp when the boost kicks in and the 720 is somehow making 700ft lbs....

im sure there are a few people here who have torque curves for twin turbo gts.

I have just a little experience with this matter and have seen a few twin turbo cars and what they are capable of doing and a few sc nitrous cars and their ability against the turbo cars. and based on my experience there is something wrong w the vid. or there is something wrong with the twin turbo gt.

FikseGTS

GT Owner
Apr 15, 2007
South Florida
staged how? there are 2 cams on each car to cover all the angles.

The GT has the camera perfectly aimed behind and to the side.

It's somewhat staged.

FikseGTS

GT Owner
Apr 15, 2007
South Florida
it's a brand new build, doubt it's down on power... DCT makes up for a lot.... add hybrid power and even more... my 720S trapped 144.7 MPH stock, it pulls pretty hard and loses zero power during shifts...

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
it's a brand new build, doubt it's down on power... DCT makes up for a lot.... add hybrid power and even more... my 720S trapped 144.7 MPH stock, it pulls pretty hard and loses zero power during shifts...

I realize this is bench racing, but I too was puzzled at how this TTGT could lose ground at over 100 mph. Our TT GT dynoed at over 1000 whp. We did a lot of standing mile events. Because I never launched hard, I am assuming about the same type of quarter mile time and speed as many FGTs post, maybe around 11 seconds at 125 or so. It was probably slower because there was just no traction, I commonly still got serious wheel spin at 130mph. The next 3/4 mile took about the same or less time as the first 1/4mile and I picked up over 100mph. The GT would just keep pulling all the way to 240+mph. This is why I had a hard time believing the 720 could make up time on the GT over 100 mph. Then I remembered that I would lose about 15 mph on the final speed if I even had a slight hesitation in any of my shifts over 130 mph. Even a slight hesitation would sometimes allow the car to come off boost, and for that second or two you are covering many football fields without full power.
Basically, I think you are right about the DCT. A DCT is the perfect compliment for a TT car. It will remain on full boost all the way. Even if someone is very fast or speed shifts a manual, there is going to be some hesitation in boost shifting, and if they are not perfect, it will really affect power.

Last edited:

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
My opinion a drag strip is not the place for this test, even though it's a rolling start
Should be done on a more open area and surface where mile records are set.
Meh..rolling starts are not indicative of running the 1320 anyway.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Whether it's beating a $90k Dodge Demon or a $500k+ NFGT or a twin-turbo FGT, people really have a hard time accepting that the 720s dishes out otherworldly performance, especially for its relatively modest price. And the straight-line acceleration isn't even what it was built for. Give the credit to the NFGT for its accomplishments and legacy at LeMans, and its extremely attractive and unique styling. I would love the chance to buy one (fingers crossed). But there is no denying that the McLaren 720s is a real force to be reckoned with. The performance it dishes out seems too good to be true, but it is. Reminds me somewhat of when the "new" Nissan GT-R came out in 2009, and people doubted the performance numbers (0-60, quarter-mile, 'ring) after analyzing the weight, power output, etc... but the results were real. I don't believe there is any "hidden agenda" behind Brooks' videos. Sometimes the driver of a particular car could have done better, or car should have had different tires, had a tune issue, etc. but I really enjoy watching what I consider to be "bias free" car videos he puts out.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ Legit!

Brooks's videos are the real deal. It's run what ya brung. No excuses.

I don't know if I've seen them all, but lately that 720S has destroyed all comers. Did you see what it did to the ZR-1?

It's axiomatic that you never hear fans of the winning car say that it was not the best distance for the other cars, they must have been down on power, the weather was too hot for them, the tires were too cold for them, the strip surface was bad on their side, yadda, yadda. Yeah, I really don't think my car should have won!

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
After looking at the $325k MSRP of a 720s, I was embarrassed thinking it was a great value. :lol
Yeah, it’s otherworldly fast.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
After looking at the $325k MSRP of a 720s, I was embarrassed thinking it was a great value. :lol
Yeah, it’s otherworldly fast.

I have friends who think I'm being flippant when I tell them that my $70k Alfa Romeo or $90k Demon is a great value, because those dollar amounts are beyond their comprehension. Everything is relative.