Super Secret Squirrel Code

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Does anybody remember the procedure that reset the ecu and ummm, the starter. I know this is vague but I remember starting my GT for the first time, after is long engine build... we had everything connected correctly but it wouldn’t start. Someone mentioned a procedure that would reset... something: bingo-flamingo, the car started.

it was like:
1) turn the key on and off, seven times
2) pump the gas peddle three times
3) turn the key on and off 4 mores times
4) sprinkle pixie dust on a leprechaun and the burp your ABCs.

...something like that. I can’t get it quite right and I’m running out of pixie dust. Plus the red-headed kid down the street is getting mad at me for throwing it in his face. Does any body know what I’m babbling about?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Are you referring to building up oil pressure without firing up the engine? I believe the procedure is floor the gas pedal and then crank until oil pressure shows up the gauge. Stop cranking, then start normally. Remember there is a gas shutoff in the passenger footwell. Maybe reset this?

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I have not had any success with this procedure. Engine blasts off.

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Beach-GT, remember to turn ignition key to "on" position first, then press and hold gas peddle to the floor and follow Dr. Frank's instructions.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I don't think he's asking about the procedure to prime the oil after a change. Something to do with the engine not starting. The typical way to reset the ECU is to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes or so. This will reset the "learned" settings and if spark advance has been messed up (which could prevent starting but would normally result in rough running), it should reset it. Have you checked for any engine codes (Check Engine would be on). Clearing a code also resets the adaptives and requires a new drive cycle.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Yeah, it’s not the oil prime procedure. It was something far more more complicated. The procedure to “learn” a new key is similar... but different.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I just talked to my guy and he remembered the procedure. It worked like a charm and the GT fired right up...

I am going to tell you what it is but you have to double-dog swear not to tell any Dodge owners. DOUBLE-DAWG!

1) Turn the key On and Off, FIVE times
2) Tap the break, Once (with key in off position)
3) Start car normally after that.

there is also a procedure to re-learn or learn a new key security code (like the chip on the key)
1) turn the key On and Off a lot
2) some more stuff with the gas peddle
3) fair dust + leprechaun (okay to substitute red-headed midget or large cocker spaniel)
4) Boom! Magic key created!

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I think that is how I did it, but I will try again. I'm due for all fluid changes. Just spooky when the engine fires at full throttle.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I think that is how I did it, but I will try again. I'm due for all fluid changes. Just spooky when the engine fires at full throttle.

Keep your right hand on the key and press the start button with your left.

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
Beach-GT, If your car has a tuner on it it will override the full throttle injector kill and will fire up at full throttle.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
That's the problem then. I have a tune.

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
Beach-GT, If your car has a tuner on it it will override the full throttle injector kill and will fire up at full throttle.

My car has Torrie's custom tune and I have no problem after an oil change - hasn't fired up once.:shrug

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
My car has Torrie's custom tune and I have no problem after an oil change - hasn't fired up once.:shrug

I too have a Torrie Tune, and have successfully used the oil prime start technique..

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

Have worked on ~100 unique Ford GT's with probably more than half with a tune of some sorts. We have NEVER had an issue with priming.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I'll have to give it another try. Torrie worked on my tune but it was done by a local tuner so there might be something set different somewhere. I don't know about these things. I'm old school..... Gas Air Spark Boom!

Last edited: