LeMans 2017 Pictures & Stories

wmjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I would love to see an endurance race without BOP sometime. Real Ford / Ferrari all over again? Maybe Porsche? Wouldn't be boring to me. Couldn't imagine F1 giving Mercedes extra weight and choking HP so other teams didn't have to work harder to catch up. Best designed and built car should win.

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
Was the 67 gaining on the aston and vette at the end before the impact?

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Awesome for Ford to make that comeback at the end.

That was some great racing by the Aston team too. Looked like a great time for all that made the trip.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
More like luck. The Corvette was having problems. But in endurance racing--all racing really--luck is an important component.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Was the 67 gaining on the aston and vette at the end before the impact?

No, we were actually losing ground because the Vette and Aston were pushing so hard. We were about one to two seconds per lap slower than the rest of the field when everyone was really pushing - about 90 seconds behind when this all happened. Our team had to be really perfect through the turns or the other teams just motored away out of the turns. We were all really impressed with how well our drivers did and how good the GT is to still be so close and competitive with the not so B.O.P. applied to the GT in this race.
I think that part of the reason why the finish was so satisfying.

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
LeMans 2017 Pictures & Stories

3cd57e7ea7da8316687dd969c213ceed.jpg

One last dinner at La Reserve.
7a8e5bb4e475b7c882101e42c730f4cb.jpg
30d2238286b74ea1f04d8b45f622fd1e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Fox showed the GT in 3rd! They sux

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Yummy yummy ...

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Did the three guys on the right side of the table escape from some olds folks home?

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Did the three guys on the right side of the table escape from some olds folks home?

Ooohhhhhh!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Dave Rowan, your hair is on fire.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Considering the BOP handicap forced on the FGTs they did well. A great car even when heavily handicapped with great drivers & teams. It was a cool race to watch. Wish I was there in person.

Ed

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Great race. Last hour was very exciting. It's well known that the GT would crush the competition without BoP, so I wouldn't dwell on it. Everyone I met talked about how advanced the GT was and acknowledged the Aston was geriatric and without any hope of beating the GT without BoP. The radio commentators were a bit annoying going on and on about how BoP was "finally" corrected this year. The bottom line is that it's widely accepted that the GT is the most advanced car on the GT grid by a wide margin and ranks with the best homologation cars ever.

It was great to see all of the Ford GT apparel around the track. Lots of people proudly wearing the Blue Oval. The GTs on display were mobbed. Ford engineer Nick was very gracious showing us around the yellow car.

Another huge thanks to forum member Malcolm for again hosting me and my family this year.

IMG_7599.jpg

Last edited:

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
ff8e45aca17b0a2376e6e66513b0f222.jpg

3e90f096c58936c4e2331ed5b8439cad.jpg

0f8c8833ac5d33e94dc9a2820ee23ac8.jpg

A few more pics from the weekend.

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Another great 24 Hour Du Mans it was!
So good to see everyone again and meet some of you for the very first time.
Despite BoP it was an amazing race and the sweetest second place finish I have ever had the pleasure to witness.
Such a good time to be a Ford fan, the GT and awesome new Mustangs coming out, at least two more years factory racing, possible privateer teams next year, It's like the 1960's again, but only by the X10 better.
My dad and I want to thank all of you, our GT brothers and sisters.
Our French born hosts at the hospitality tell me with a big smile, that out all the different marques, the Ford GT group are the most "sympatique".
That's a huge compliment, you can put that one in the bank!!

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Good morning America !! The boys are up and AJ Foyt is in the house!

Great pics!!:biggrin :thumbsup:thumbsup

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
That was an immensely satisfying finish. What a drive by Tincknell, and to pass the Corvette at the very end just a few hundred yards from the end and right in front of us? Really awesome. Would have loved the win but that has to be the most satisfying second place of all-time.

Hospitality was even better this year. They did an excellent job. Really hope we can do it again in 2018.

+1 !!!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Here's another good story
It's a little long but I think you enjoy it. Along with the fabulous Ford GT owners that I've come know from other events we had some newbies here at LeMans .. He was one of the many and there was some very Heavy Hitters. I can tell you I was personally honored to share a lot of time with one special gentleman. He goes by the name of Alex Borla.

Some of you are wearing his name on your mufflers..!!. He arrived at the track early with another South Florida friend and GT owner Larry Coe. They were a newbies to the GT club scene had I was fortunate to share a lot of time with them and introduce them to other GT owners and friends.

I see Larry frequently at a lot of car events in South Florida. He came to Rally 10 and I've tried to get him to come to more GT events. I think he's very happy he joined us in LeMans!

And let me tell you about this Borla guy.... it didn't really dawn on at me at the beginning when I met him but when you've spent your adult life dedicated to all aspects of Motorsports and intenal combusyion performance in all aspects you probably get to know some people..

I was mentally a little slow after not quite recuperating from the overnight flights, the time zone difference, the lack of sleep and my stomach arguing about when I should be hungry, but I quickly realized it after we met this guy....

If you grew up playing with Hot Wheels and watching drag racing with your father you might recognize him as Don "The Snake " Prudhomme. Famous funny car driver and part of the famous " Snake vs Mongoose " battles..

So we're walking down the main road behind the garages and we see Don walking towards us. Alex walks over and give him a big hug and shakes hand and they're discussing how much they miss Carroll Shelby . They both knew him very well..

Don made the statement for us Carroll Shelby put LeMans on the map.!!!..

I'm honored to say I got to break a lot of bread with Alex and enjoyed hearing a lot of his stories and business ventures. And I'm sure if you could meet him you would understand he's a wonderful great guy, a car guy a motor head just like most of the other guys that we've got to know through the Forum events..

I tried to encourage him and Larry to join us in the future for other GT events.. at times I felt like the mother duck toting these two guys around but I got to tell you these old birds get around pretty good and I couldn't wear them out..:biggrin

As we've come to learn it's the people at these events that make them extra special. I'd be honored to spend more time with these guys in the future and you sure helped make this trip extra-special and entertaining!

That's Alex next to AJ. If you ever see him don't be afraid to approach him , he's a very open warm and friendly and very entertaining guy!

And some of you guys are pretty good at analyzing pictures and fact-checking. If you say well Brian that picture of you and Don is not on the street behind the garages you would be right. well. That's actually the second picture I had taken with Don on a different day... .. that's another story. Love you Alex!! :lol

Attachments

• 2017-06-18 18.40.26.jpg
    2017-06-18 18.40.26.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 262
  • 2017-06-19 18.11.01.jpg
    2017-06-19 18.11.01.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
That was an immensely satisfying finish. What a drive by Tincknell, and to pass the Corvette at the very end just a few hundred yards from the end and right in front of us? Really awesome. Would have loved the win but that has to be the most satisfying second place of all-time.

Hospitality was even better this year. They did an excellent job. Really hope we can do it again in 2018.

Loved watching on TV... but I really want to return for 2018 in Le Mans! Thanks for all of the photos and stories you have all shared... and thanks to Ford for putting on a great race for the GT fans!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I also had a great time hanging out with these characters. Kevin and Chris. Also known as " Special K " and " Y2K 2XL" can't quite remember his forum name it's some crazy number configuration like that. The future "Austin Power".:biggrin

The second picture is a trivia question. Can you name the gentleman beside me? You Florida West Coast guys should get it. ..

Attachments

• 2017-06-16 00.58.51.jpg
    2017-06-16 00.58.51.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 255
  • 2017-06-19 18.12.04.jpg
    2017-06-19 18.12.04.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 264