New Ford recall for 2005 and 2006 Ford GT Air Bags

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
This just issued today:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...getCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=14V343

Only effects vehicles registered in a few southern locations.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Did Ford really have multiple suppliers for the airbags of our cars ? Doesn't sound very convincing that only vehicles in certain locations are affected. Is the production and distribution so closely planned and executed ? How do customers who bough the cars privates 2nd hand get their info from ?

Having an airbag explode in front of me/my codriver doesn't sound like something I want/need to experience ...

If you go to the website and read the two letters attached, you will see why. The NHTSA wants to determine if high humidity affects air bag inflators and therefore deployment. Apparently there have been some problems, but only under those conditions.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Having an airbag explode in front of me/my codriver doesn't sound like something I want/need to experience ...

Did it say that this happened? I did not read that anywhere.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Sorry guys,

as a non US resident I am not used to those recalls and their corresponding documentation. Should have reread those 3 times (and switched on my brain) before posting instead :)

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
An article in the WSJ quoted an NHTSA complaint in which someone lost an eye when a piece of the inflator (I believe it was the inflator) struck the person in the eye.

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
Call a local Ford dealer and have them run an OASIS on your vin# to see any open recalls or TSB's (technical service bulletin's). This is free and a good idea to anyway!

Mike

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
If I get a letter I will chime in. My Red car needs a new emblem.. we,ve got lots of humidity here ..:biggrin I think the humidity is hard on relays too...

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Maybe the humidity is hard on gauges also!

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I contacted Ford's 800 number and the girl said only certain vehicles are on the recall list and not all FL, etc. vehicles. I typed my VIN # in this Ford recall web site http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...ge/RecallsPage and it said my FL car was not on the recall. Maybe all FGT aren't equipped with the Takata air bags?

Technika

GT Owner
Dec 9, 2005
Montreal QC
Recalled here in Canada. Remedy not yet available. Been 4 months now.
recall.jpg

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Im lead to believe will be spring time before there is a final fix

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Q2 2016

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Bag replacement

Just gad the first recall installed. Here is a Pic of the unit. See rust around the old unit. The part for the second recall is not available until next Spring.

Attachments

• 1Bag.jpg
    1Bag.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 592

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Finally Air Bag fix on my 2006 Ford GT, driver and passenger sides. After looking at the parts replaced on my 2006 Ford GT with 7,900 miles kept in climate controlled building I would not wait any longer on DOING THIS RECALL. I feel much better about driving my GT under safer conditions. My former Ford Dealership says parte are available now and should be replaced NOW. Here's what removed parts looked like.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 385
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 386

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
Had both of my airbags serviced last week. Tech told me the corrosion is not the primary reason for the recall, but rather the exterior design and strength of materials. Nonetheless, mine didn't show nearly as much corrosion as yours do, in spite of being a Florida car. Always thought that Houston was more humid than Florida!

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
What is involved with the passenger side as far as removing dash ect?

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
What is involved with the passenger side as far as removing dash ect?

Gary, simply take a new razor blade, or sharp knife and follow the outline of the rectangular seam in the dash to a depth of 1/4 inch. Entire unit pulls out (maybe pry it out) and a little black silicone adhesive to reinstall. No one will ever be able to tell.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Both sides were done in less than an Hour at my 8 year ago Ford dealership. Hard to believe if been retired 8 years ago this week and I don't miss it. Wow, I'm Blessed.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Both sides were done in less than an Hour at my 8 year ago Ford dealership. Hard to believe if been retired 8 years ago this week and I don't miss it. Wow, I'm Blessed.

Tomy, can I have your contact? Sterling McCall doesn't seem to have a clue. Texas City is pretty far for me to get this done, but I don't want to wait too much longer.