locked steering column

HPGT

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2012
Little Rock, AR
I've had that problem when I put my Explorer key in the key hole.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I've had that problem when I put my Explorer key in the key hole.

You should not put your explorer in just any key hole.
Dangerous these days!

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
I got it unlocked! I found a video on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7D3mxFwp4M) using an air hammer with the air pressure reduced to vibrate the lock cylinder / key.

First, I removed the steering wheel housing by removing 3 torx screws.
I took a bungie cord to put tension down on the left spoke (counterclockwise).
Then i positioned the face of the impact hammer (I have a tool for pounding rivits, not the chisel) against the key hole face.
Finally, with the key in and the hammer tapping I was able to get the key to turn!

I've got a new focus lock cylinder on order that I may replace after I rekey. I'll let you know if the strattec 707592 cylinder fits or not.

No damage and no drilling! I'm happy but won't be parking with the wheel turned again

Last edited:

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Sounds creative or slightly crazy but happy for you it worked. Posting the video link may help if your gremlin bites another.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Wow! Who would'a thunk?

Glad you got it unlocked.

Thanks for sharing the solution, and hope the problem doesn't befall anyone else.

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
I keyed the strattec 707592 kit and it seems like a replacement, but it wasn't as smooth as the original so I didn't replace it.
IF I have the problem again I'll swap it out.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I keyed the strattec 707592 kit and it seems like a replacement, but it wasn't as smooth as the original so I didn't replace it.
IF I have the problem again I'll swap it out.

I was thinking that a Focus has a start position and GT doesn't, that may make the two different .

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
sounds creative or slightly crazy but happy for you it worked. Posting the video link may help if your gremlin bites another.

wow!!!!!:agree:

Well done!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Gotta love the GT

There is a common-sense, mechanical solution to everything!

If this was F, Lambo, R8, Mc, 911...it would surely involve some chip, fob, re-flash, dealer port module, etc at $1000+

Time to buy another GT....with ownshirp costs saving of not owning other finicky exotics!