replacement battery

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I see a number of options keeping the electric system "alive" via the OBD port. Whereas I'm sure this works great - wouldn't just supplying power to the power point (cig lighter port) be easier (thats what I did)....

That's what I was thinking...

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Quote Originally Posted by 33Bravo View Post
I see a number of options keeping the electric system "alive" via the OBD port. Whereas I'm sure this works great - wouldn't just supplying power to the power point (cig lighter port) be easier (thats what I did)....

That's what I was thinking...

On some cars the cig lighter/power port in not always hot with the key off, some have to have the key on.
Don't remember the GT set up at the moment. I think it is always hot?

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Quote Originally Posted by 33Bravo View Post

On some cars the cig lighter/power port in not always hot with the key off, some have to have the key on.
Don't remember the GT set up at the moment. I think it is always hot?

I would think it is always HOT as this is how the GT battery maintainer supplied is connected.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
I haven't used that set up for a while, so I had forgotten about that. My tender connection is wired straight to the battery.

I just wanted to make sure someone didn't try the power port method on another vehicle with out checking the port first. Seen it happen numerous times.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
12v port is always hot, so indeed 12v there would keep ecu powered. I bought the cable, as I have other cars where "cigarette lighter" port is switched.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
I use cig port but better tender. Factory tender is not the greatest.