Exclusive Ford GT Behind The Scenes Video w/ Forza 6

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Yeah, I'm really not seeing the resemblance to some of the stated cars. I really don't see much resemblance to anything outside of Ford GT DNA. Anything low, wide and shaped to go fast will have some level of similarity, but the front is very Ford GT, the rear looks like nothing else, and the greenhouse is very Ford GT as well. Overhead is extremely Ford GT.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
That was so rad. Thanks Dave for the shot of adrenaline. I'm sold on the new design. I was from the moment it rolled out. Captured my imagination right from the start just as the GT40 did when I was a kid. Some kind of magic.

Vince H

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
What Role did Henry Ford III play in the development of the new GT?

I like seeing family members still involved. After reading American Icon, I was surprised that many just see the company as an ATM, but thankfully enough of the family cared enough to keep it going and in the right direction.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
What Role did Henry Ford III play in the development of the new GT?

I like seeing family members still involved.

HF3 has done a bunch of different jobs since he joined the company but he just moved back from California to Detroit and is now in charge of marketing Ford Performance. He's supposed to come by the garage some time in the next week, talk about some Rally 10 stuff.

Bill Jr, Edsel and Elena, have always maintained that anyone in the family that wants out can sell them their shares.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
HF3 has done a bunch of different jobs since he joined the company but he just moved back from California to Detroit and is now in charge of marketing Ford Performance. He's supposed to come by the garage some time in the next week, talk about some Rally 10 stuff.

Bill Jr, Edsel and Elena, have always maintained that anyone in the family that wants out can sell them their shares.

That's crazy. While the rest of the world wants in!

Vince H

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
That's crazy. While the rest of the world wants in!

Vince H

Well, that was back when the auto industry was caving in on itself and some of the more far-off family members were talking about getting out before it all went south. Bill, Edsel and Elena would sooner lose everything they have than give it up.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Especially their shares, a brilliant move many years ago to keep the family involved.

"Class B shares make up less than 2 percent of outstanding Ford shares, but hold 40 percent of the voting power."

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
I see some similarities between the Mac& new GT, but whatever Mac got wrong in grille/front end, the GT hot right.

George Manont

Oct 29, 2007
What's NEXT ?

... lighter, as it could save fuel... that's progress.......

........ V6 Turbo, as it could increase RPM... that's progress.....

............. Carbon, as it could reduce chance to RUST... that's progress.....

Well.....

George Manont

Oct 29, 2007
I see the same... BIG MAC

George Manont

Oct 29, 2007

Impressive list. sir !

If..If you could have only 2...what it would be ?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

If I was part of the family, I wouldn't sell them my shares - they're like my GT, and will be with me for life.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
If I was part of the family, I wouldn't sell them my shares - they're like my GT, and will be with me for life.

+1

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Well, that was back when the auto industry was caving in on itself and some of the more far-off family members were talking about getting out before it all went south. Bill, Edsel and Elena would sooner lose everything they have than give it up.

Gottcha. Well that's probably part of the intangibles that has put Ford as the stronghold it is today.

Vince H

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Gottcha. Well that's probably part of the intangibles that has put Ford as the stronghold it is today.

Vince H

I think it is. There are positives and negatives. On the one hand, Bill Jr. never went hard enough when things were going bad because it's tough making cold-blooded corporate decisions when you view FMC as a family business. On the other hand, he was smart enough to recognize that he needed someone like AM to make some of those decisions to save it.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
I agree with Dave's comment about the inevitable similarity of this type of cars. There is only so much you can do with the mid-engine constraint, and if you want to manage aero, the laws of physics don't bow to style. "Similarity" aside, I think Ford knocked it out of the park big time. Let's see what Chevy does to counter this time. To compete for "halo effect", I think they have to respond. We'll see how "similar" it is.

At the 1:49 point in the video, there is a rendering on the wall that has a central fin from the roof-line back. Looks like a rendering of the Le Mans version. I think that's the typical design for the Le Mans top competition category.

Dave, I assume that was the "basement' studio"? What a great place to go to work every day! Have you visited?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Grumblings that Chevy has gone back to the drawing board on some parts of their project, from more than one source.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Grumblings that Chevy has gone back to the drawing board on some parts of their project, from more than one source.

Whaaaaaat? Can't be. :wink :lol

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas

image.jpg

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
For those interested in how ford has survived since the mid 2000's, I would strongly recommend Bryce Hoffman's book called american icon. The focus is on Alan mulally and what he did to save the company, but also gives great credit to the many executives that worked tirelessly to turn the company around, including Bill Ford realizing that he wasn't capable of solving it himself. Therefore looking outside Ford, finding Allan Mullally. It's an amazing read.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Icon...7&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=American+iron+mulally