Ford Racing M-9430-GTX headers - new

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Anders
Sent you a PM yesterday. Haven't heard back.

One other question for everyone running catless systems: Is there anyway to circumvent the CEL aside from an aftermarket tune? I have no plans on doing a tune, so I would need another alternative.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Anders
Sent you a PM yesterday. Haven't heard back.

One other question for everyone running catless systems: Is there anyway to circumvent the CEL aside from an aftermarket tune? I have no plans on doing a tune, so I would need another alternative.

Some places sell fake O2 sensors that send fake signals to the ECU to fool it. I think it is much easier to turn it off in the tune. If you are concerned about an aftermarket tune I am sure Torrie can set you up with a stock tune changing turning only the rear o2 sensors off or anything else you would like to do. Besides if you are running other than GY tires the speedo will be a little off and you can fix that too with a custom tune.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Some places sell fake O2 sensors that send fake signals to the ECU to fool it. I think it is much easier to turn it off in the tune. If you are concerned about an aftermarket tune I am sure Torrie can set you up with a stock tune changing turning only the rear o2 sensors off or anything else you would like to do. Besides if you are running other than GY tires the speedo will be a little off and you can fix that too with a custom tune.

Thanks. I supposed regardless of what exhaust route I take, the cats are more than likely going to come out (i.e. rear exit vs long tube or stock manifold/cat delete + X or H pipe). Pretty sure any combo involving the stock cats will be too tame for me. Can the O2 sensors be turned off with the FRPP tune as well?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Thanks. I supposed regardless of what exhaust route I take, the cats are more than likely going to come out (i.e. rear exit vs long tube or stock manifold/cat delete + X or H pipe). Pretty sure any combo involving the stock cats will be too tame for me. Can the O2 sensors be turned off with the FRPP tune as well?

No, the FRPP tune is CARB approved!

Just an X or Y pipe replacing the mufflers is much louder than stock, but if you like your cars on the louder side it probably won't be enough for you.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
No, the FRPP tune is CARB approved!

Just an X or Y pipe replacing the mufflers is much louder than stock, but if you like your cars on the louder side it probably won't be enough for you.

Ugh. That's right. I forgot. And yes, I definitely would want it on the louder side.
I'm gonna hear Greg-TT's setup this weekend. Similar to yours: Stock manifold, cat delete, Heffner H-pipe. Will see if that'll do the trick.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Ugh. That's right. I forgot. And yes, I definitely would want it on the louder side.
I'm gonna hear Greg-TT's setup this weekend. Similar to yours: Stock manifold, cat delete, Heffner H-pipe. Will see if that'll do the trick.

Even though my hearing is impaired (high frequency response is down from age, motorcycles and gun noise) I found that my exhaust was too loud at times. I didn't mind it sounding real loud when I was going high rev at WOT, I expect it to, but rather when I am just cruising around but want to do a moderate acceleration or am going up a grade and the throttle is open a little more. It was too loud to talk to passengers or on the phone and can drone a little at the 2100 RPM range. I put Supertraps on the exhaust tips and that tames it down enough, but it looks like to pimples on the rear.

I am going to go to a Borla muffler, FRPP cat delete with stock manifolds. That should be about right. Downsides is more weight and heat on the rear of the car. :thumbsdow

Do you need a used Accufab for a bumper delete?

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Even though my hearing is impaired (high frequency response is down from age, motorcycles and gun noise) I found that my exhaust was too loud at times. I didn't mind it sounding real loud when I was going high rev at WOT, I expect it to, but rather when I am just cruising around but want to do a moderate acceleration or am going up a grade and the throttle is open a little more. It was too loud to talk to passengers or on the phone and can drone a little at the 2100 RPM range. I put Supertraps on the exhaust tips and that tames it down enough, but it looks like to pimples on the rear.

I am going to go to a Borla muffler, FRPP cat delete with stock manifolds. That should be about right. Downsides is more weight and heat on the rear of the car. :thumbsdow

Do you need a used Accufab for a bumper delete?

Any reason you don't just slap on the cats again and keep the x-pipe? Too quiet? I might be interested in the Accufab if this rear exit thing doesn't pan out.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Any reason you don't just slap on the cats again and keep the x-pipe? Too quiet? I might be interested in the Accufab if this rear exit thing doesn't pan out.

IMO a Whipple, WOT and track or mile use doesn't go well with cats. The OEM tune dumps a lot of excess gas into the engine during WOT to keep the cats from melting down, not the best thing for HP or gas mileage. If you tune for a more HP friendly a/f ratio the cats will self destruct. I have seen a few cars with burned out cats. You need to keep the OEM cats in good condition for CARB. :lol

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
IMO a Whipple, WOT and track or mile use doesn't go well with cats. The OEM tune dumps a lot of excess gas into the engine during WOT to keep the cats from melting down, not the best thing for HP or gas mileage. If you tune for a more HP friendly a/f ratio the cats will self destruct. I have seen a few cars with burned out cats. You need to keep the OEM cats in good condition for CARB. :lol

Do you swap the cats back in for smog? Pretty labor intensive, no? I would think having a 'guy' that could smog your car would be an easier solution.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Do you swap the cats back in for smog? Pretty labor intensive, no? I would think having a 'guy' that could smog your car would be an easier solution.

It would, if I could. I don't have the right friends. :(

The is one of the biggest reason I don't have headers. No way in hell am I going to swap header out all of the time!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Do they sniff your exhaust or do they just plug into the OBD? If OBD, can't you write code to hide that? They do it all the time on Diesel trucks with EGR deletes.

To answer two earlier questions, They are the same headers Muscle has/had?? and there is zero fume issue.

Also, In the cabin, they are not that loud and outside the cabin, they only get loud at around 3700-4000rpm.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Do they sniff your exhaust or do they just plug into the OBD? If OBD, can't you write code to hide that? They do it all the time on Diesel trucks with EGR deletes.

To answer two earlier questions, They are the same headers Muscle has/had?? and there is zero fume issue.

Also, In the cabin, they are not that loud and outside the cabin, they only get loud at around 3700-4000rpm.

OBD, sniff, AND visual inspection. Damn California tree-huggers.
If I went with this system, I'd have to get 'creative' to get the car to pass.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The FRPP tune works fine with both sets of FRPP headers, both of which omit the catalytic converters and retain the 02 sensors. This doesn't mean you will pass the test, but you won't get a CEL.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
The FRPP tune works fine with both sets of FRPP headers, both of which omit the catalytic converters and retain the 02 sensors. This doesn't mean you will pass the test, but you won't get a CEL.

I would not be one bit surprised if it passeed the sniff with this set up as well. As for visual, the headers discussed here have a big Ford oval stamped in the muffler, I think they would have to be an FGT expert to think it was not stock.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I would not be one bit surprised if it passeed the sniff with this set up as well. As for visual, the headers discussed here have a big Ford oval stamped in the muffler, I think they would have to be an FGT expert to think it was not stock.

Good point. Makes sense as I was told by 2 FRPP techs that their tune was designed to work with the headers.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005

I doubt that a catless car would pass CA's CARB dyno sniff test. A quick check is warm up your car, then when at idle put your nose near the tailpipes, if you smell anything, you will fail!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I doubt that a catless car would pass CA's CARB dyno sniff test. A quick check is warm up your car, then when at idle put your nose near the tailpipes, if you smell anything, you will fail!

What does Ralphie do? License in Montana? :lol

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
What does Ralphie do? License in Montana? :lol

Smog requirements vary by county. I don't think he is required to test for registration renewal up in Mammoth.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Maybe you need a part time residence up there! :wink

Yeah it is like that up here, but even narrower than county jurisdiction. I live outside the city limits and don't have to pass anything where as anyone in town does.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

In a configuration without the OEM CATs, the FRPP retains the O2 catalyst check (hence the CA EO certification) and will most certainly trigger a CEL. If you don't want a CEL, you'll need a tuner such as Torrie to turn off the O2 test. You can still pass CA visual like this as well as the OBD2 hook-up because (currently) CA still allows for one monitor incomplete status. However, no chance in hell that a Ford GT can pass the CA emissions sniff test without the CATs.