Hummer H1

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008
Anyone on here have a H1, Pro's an Cons? Im thining of getting one, love the truck, but I am concerned about where to have it worked on now that all the dealers are Gone... Any advice would be apprecaited. thanks

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Isn't it a Tahoe underneath the skin?

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008
no i dont beleive it is... this is its own frame. The Tahoe may be under the H2..

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Anyone on here have a H1, Pro's an Cons? Im thining of getting one, love the truck, but I am concerned about where to have it worked on now that all the dealers are Gone... Any advice would be apprecaited. thanks
I have an H1.
Is a great truck for the go anywhere crowd.
It's a street legal tank.
Bad mileage; I get 8 to 9 mpg.
Most all mechanical, and a lot of the elecrical parts are GM, easy to find and economical to purchase.
Most any "good" repair shop can work on them.
Be sure to get the diesel, stay away from the gas engine models.
I would sell mine for the right price.

Last edited:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Tahoe under the H2. Totally different machines. H1 is an animal - a Tahoe most certainly not.

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX

Have had 4 H1's over the years. Have an 06 alpha with JFAB lift now. Wouldn't buy one without the duramax. Have had both gas, n/a diesels and turbodiesels. They aren't very practical, slow, cumbersome, difficult to park, etc; however will forge deep waters, go from point A to point B as well as almost anything offroad plus you have the benefit of a nice truck (instead of a jeep for instance)

ben

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Whoops, I confused the two models.

Please ignore my post.

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008
any years I should avoid?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I would only get an 06 which is the Alpha. They are the "ONES TO OWN"

WhiteGT16

GT Owner & White Exotics
Mar 29, 2011
Northern California
I love my Hummer! I bought it new in 2001.... I believe it is the last year to say "Hummer" on the side instead of "H1" I agree that diesel is the only way to go. It has a great turning radius and will zip along at high speed for long periods of time with no issues. I know a great mechanic in the SF Bay area who was trained at the factory, but I am a little nervous about what will happen when he no longer can work on it. It is a truly fun machine....great for parades and taking the whole neighborhood for ice cream, not a "daily," but will go anywhere you wish, and where else are you going to get an eight passenger convertible?!_MG_2562.jpg_MG_2581.jpg_MG_2583.jpg

Last edited:

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008
I was looking at a 2002 orange 10th anniversary. What kind of service should it of had by now?

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Geez Ginger, that plate sure gets around........ LOL

WhiteGT16

GT Owner & White Exotics
Mar 29, 2011
Northern California
Geez Ginger, that plate sure gets around........ LOL

:agree: :driving: :lol

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
I have an H1.
Is a great truck for the go anywhere crowd.
It's a street legal tank.
Bad mileage; I get 8 to 9 mpg.
Most all mechanical, and a lot of the elecrical parts are GM, easy to find and economical to purchase.
Most any "good" repair shop can work on them.
Be sure to get the diesel, stay away from the gas engine models.
I would sell mine for the right price.

Oh lord Fred has one now I know I shouldn't have bought one :)

I have 2 :) Both 03's one wagon one HMCO or open top. Big difference just because of the weight in the wagon on how peppy the open top feels. If you get anything earlier than the 02 your going to need to look very carefully at the block. prior to 2002 they had a casting problem going back to the earlier years and the #8 cylinder can have a weak wall. There is no set time it will go out..could never happen but as I've been told has it could happen 10 miles after you buy it. There are a TON of differences in the 03 and prior trucks to the alpha's. Alpha's are really demanding a high price point of $125K+. You can still get in a 02/03 for a good price in the 50-70 range depending on mileage and if its been treated well without alot of modification. I actually have been watching the prices close since I bought my wagon in December and HMCO last month. They are going up for 02/03 good trucks.

When researching I asked the question of 03 or Alpha. The best advice I got was from Dave at Hummerpartsguy.com The Alpha was a whole new animal underneath and inside. It shares no parts, or very few, with the previous versions. ALOT of parts have already been discontinued. Many interior parts are done and can't be bought new. The 03' and prior go back to 1992?? or 93 I think so the interior is the only thing that might have some changes to it but most if not all the mechanical parts are plentiful. If you look at an 06 just make sure it has the duramax because they did do some for gov service and those still have the 6.5TD.

Oh and Fred whats this 8-9mpg??? I'm getting about 12 you must be either letting you kid drive it or thinking your in the GT

Last edited:

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oh lord Fred has one now I know I shouldn't have bought one.

Oh and Fred whats this 8-9mpg??? I'm getting about 12 you must be either letting you kid drive it or thinking your in the GT

Matt,
You know that if I got it, you got ‘a have it.
H1 has 82,000+ miles and still going strong.
It was driven by my wife as her daily driver for many years.
I bought her a new F-250 4x4 last year to replace the H1.
Put the Hummer out to pasture and is now used as a ranch wagon, kind ‘a like a very big [and expensive] ATV.
Maybe the mileage issue is due to her driving technique.
When I stop and think about it, with her behind the wheel, the F-250 gets a whopping 11mpg.
The woman’s driving scares the wits out of me.
I got ‘a love her, that’s my job.

Attachments

• H1 Hummer Side.JPG
    H1 Hummer Side.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 215
  • H1 Hummer Front & Side.JPG
    H1 Hummer Front & Side.JPG
    225.9 KB · Views: 214
Aug 25, 2006
I have had 6 of them; my first in 1993 a 94, then a 96, 97.5, 99. 2002 and finally the 2006 Alpha; in fact I had it with me in Salt lake last year. Wonderful rigs as long as they are accepted as a big fuel hungry frumpy piece. I owner the same model that you are considering and put 50K miles on her and then a friend purchased her putting another 25K miles on her. The service and repairs remained modest and is a rig that IMO can be worked on my most.

The 1994 was N/A and I gave her to Gale Bank to create a turbo system off her; it was my first as such enjoyable however full of issues. The 1996 was factory turbo and better however the A/C was the pits, the 1997.5 was the first wonderful rig on all levels and then the 2002 was even better however the 2006 Alpha is the “only” way to go if able.

The lack of dealer network is an issue however parts are available as the primary rig is still being built; just not for the civilian market.

Lastly; the H1 is a slightly softened military rig from the ground up however the H2 and H3 were GM staple pieces with alternate sheet metal and badges. No less cool but rather they played to a different market.

Takes care

Shadowman

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008
So you would say not to buy the 02 and hold for the 06?

Aug 25, 2006
So you would say not to buy the 02 and hold for the 06?

No; the 2002 is a wonderful rig and I am confident that you could purchase and enjoy her and when and if you want the best of the line then you could sell her for like dollars as they are no dropping in value and then purchase a 2006.

Again; the 2002 is a great piece however the 2006 remains very unique because of the entire revamp that AMG did to the rig; frame up however the difference in price between a 2002 and a 2006 is substantial.

I would encourage you to get in the proverbial saddle and enjoy one; IMO you wil not regret it.

All the best

Shadowman

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008
shadowman-great advice and thanks for your help. I'm going to pull the trigger today...

Aug 25, 2006
shadowman-great advice and thanks for your help. I'm going to pull the trigger today...

IMO you are in for a nice time.

Here is a picture of my 2002 Anniversary Edition with my 2006 Alpha prior to her leaving for SoCal.

Takes care

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC03594.jpg
    DSC03594.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 162