First ticket.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Was driving around one of our lakes today (Calhoun). Was doing about 12 or 13 MPH. Unmarked Minneapolis LEO (usually they are pretty cool) coming at me in other direction. He did a very dramatic 180 (think 70's detective show) and pulled me over.

He informed me that in Minnesota we need to have front and rear plates. When asked why no front plate - I said there really was no place to mount it. He took a quick look - and said "yes there was".

Sigh

ticket.jpg

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
The Bastard!!!!! :thumbsdow

It's like putting a mustache on the Mona Lisa!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Should have asked him where that may be. The fine probably would have be higher.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
That's the Mickey-est of Mickey Mouse tickets...especially when accompanied by the dramatic 180.

BTW, just WHERE did he see a "place to mount it"? There ARE NO factory mounting points. NONE.

(I suppose he offered you the use of his cordless drill?)

If Ford hadn't secreted a 'plate frame in the front boot, a FGT could get an exemption to the front plate requirement here in Wash. St.

Button

Jul 11, 2009
Iowa
If I had a GT there would be no front plate. Write or call your legislator. On the other hand, I think there is a bracket available that screws into the tow hook. Do a quick search and see what you find. http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?17571-Front-License-Plate-Bracket-alternative

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
It should only be a fix-it ticket. Zip tie it to the rad screen or the center upright support (drill a few extra holes in your plate if you need to.) Take it to the proper authorities, have it signed off & pay the fine. Only about 20% of cops are bad like that guy so you should be fine (ie. take the plate off when you get home.)

Ed

PS I like Ralphie's response!

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Agree that it is a Micky Mouse ticket... and that one could find a way to mount the front plate. I just don't like the look (I've had many cars that I have not had a front plate for the same reason).

I always assumed that it would catch up to me when I got a speeding ticket (or similar) - and they could use that to "pile on".

Just seems to me like our cities finest should have more pressing issues to attend to.....

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
It should only be a fix-it ticket. Zip tie it to the rad screen or the center upright support (drill a few extra holes in your plate if you need to.) Take it to the proper authorities, have it signed off & pay the fine. Only about 20% of cops are bad like that guy so you should be fine (ie. take the plate off when you get home.)

Jeff's suggestion would be the best way to go IMO. 'Makes it easy to put a plate on or take it off "whenever".

...there is a bracket available that screws into the tow hook. Do a quick search and see what you find. http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?17571-Front-License-Plate-Bracket-alternative

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Is this a fix it ticket? If so, I may be able to help you out ;)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Just seems to me like our cities finest should have more pressing issues to attend to.....

...especially considering the fact that motorcycles are LEGALLY allowed to go 'wherever' with no front plate...ATVs too...and farm vehicles...and car dealers' autos (demo drives)...and certain classic cars...and cars with "trip permits" taped in the rear window.

'Makes real good sense, doesn't it.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Agree! there are a couple of good means of attaching the plate.

I think the good news is I just pay the damn ticket - there is no followup requirement to prove it has been installed.

Its not a moving violation either - so other than being annoying - its just not a huge deal...

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I purchased a mounting plate that screws into the same hole that the tow loop goes just in case I need to take care of a fix-it ticket. Haven't required the need to pull it out of the box yet thankfully.

There's a thread here somewhere about the vendor selling them. Cheap insurance.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
33Bravo, those things tick me off to no end!

Makes me remember how I got into my 74 Carrera back in the day, parked in a multi-level parking lot. Had a no license plate ticket on it.
The only way an officer could have seen it was to first, cruise the parking lot for crying out loud, then get down on his hands and knees to see the front of the car, which was parked up against the wall.

ARRGGHHH.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
33Bravo, those things tick me off to no end!

Makes me remember how I got into my 74 Carrera back in the day, parked in a multi-level parking lot. Had a no license plate ticket on it.
The only way an officer could have seen it was to first, cruise the parking lot for crying out loud, then get down on his hands and knees to see the front of the car, which was parked up against the wall.

ARRGGHHH.

I can't see how the ticket would be valid if you were parked on private property.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Clinton,
The parking lot was owned by the city of Santa Monica...or should I say the Peoples Republic of Santa Monica!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I have a zipper and two snaps on my bra for the plate if the LEO gets nasty.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
A few years ago, on Fathers Day no less, I had the same thing happen. Country highway in wheat farm county. State Patrol did the Dukes of Hazard U Turn and pulled me over.

Ah he says, look right here on the registration that a front plate is required. I said I knew that but the dealer never put it on the vehicle as there's no real good place to do so. And further more folks that ran with a front plate had overheaing problems and were advised to remove it. So I left mine off.

No ticket. Verbal warning to stay at or below the speed limit.

That was my most unusal Father's Day present ever.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Clinton,
The parking lot was owned by the city of Santa Monica...or should I say the Peoples Republic of Santa Monica!

Well that is public property so you can get a ticket. In most states LEO can also enforce the laws on private property that is generally accessable to the public, eg. shopping malls, but not inside of an condo or apartment complex.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Agree! there are a couple of good means of attaching the plate.

I think the good news is I just pay the damn ticket - there is no followup requirement to prove it has been installed.

Its not a moving violation either - so other than being annoying - its just not a huge deal...

I think this is the winner.

Give them their damn money and Keep the mustache off. Won't add any points and you can keep you car beautiful. As someone mentioned, very few cops do this.

If you had a more subtle color, you might be less noticeable. :rolleyes :biggrin

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I bet the cop was looking for the plate # as you approached. When he saw that there was none, he waited until you passed to confirm that it was a Minnesota plate (not out of state or paper-tags) then he did his badass cop-doughnut and to let you know his Dodge Charger was super duper too. Many comments for the officer come to mind but the best move is always "thank you, have a nice day."

However, if you must inquire with the officer about his tactics or motives, please keep my number handy (I give GT owners a discount).

Delta Bail Bonds